Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Bianca
Master August 2019 Ontario

Dresses That Didn't Make the Cut

Bianca, on January 13, 2019 at 16:13

Posted in Wedding fashion 169

Hello fellow brides-to-be! We all know that the search for the perfect wedding dress can be daunting, long, and exhausting. And we all know that feeling when you find THE DRESS that ends the search. I want you ladies to show off the ones that didn't make the cut! I really like having pictures to...

Hello fellow brides-to-be!

We all know that the search for the perfect wedding dress can be daunting, long, and exhausting. And we all know that feeling when you find THE DRESS that ends the search.

I want you ladies to show off the ones that didn't make the cut! I really like having pictures to look back on to remind myself that no, I'm not regretting not going with the thin-strapped lace dress that poofed out WAY too much.

The mermaid silhouette does NOT suit mecfb_40245.jpg

The one that needed way to much work to make it workcfb_40243.jpg

Or the thin-strapped number that did NOTHING for me

cfb_40235.jpg

So post those dresses that you didn't end up loving! I think it would be fun to share what we didn't go with!

169 Comments

• Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What does your dress look like that you went with? Is it still strapless and A-line? I feel like things happen for a reason and it sounds like your dress definitely did!

• Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ugh that's so frustrating that they didn't let you take pictures! That was my big pet peeve since I remember things better via photographs rather than memory. Some of yours were similar to the ones I posted or to the ones that everyone's posted? The one's I posted were tried on in order for me to know for sure that these would not look good on me lol.

• Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I can't wait to see your wedding pictures!!!!! Ah Brittany I'm so happy for you! Where's your honeymoon to again and when do you leave?

I totally agree that SYTTD seemed so magical before actually going through the process. I also went to the store where they film the Canadian SYTTD (it's 5 minutes from my home) and it was terrible Smiley sad

• Danielle
    Curious July 2019 Ontario
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Such an amazing post. I wish I had photos of the define “no’s”. I thought I’d want a ball gown type but as soon as I put one on I felt as wide as I was tall. So unflattering!!! Oddly enough my “yes” dress was brought to me by my nieces in a collection she thought I needed to try for laughs (meaning she brought her version of the ugliest dresses) ...one was head to toe feathers with one sleeve - actually beautiful on if it went at all with my personality or wedding theme it may have made the cut but the other had a large brown flower...turned out to be the dress for me!!
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is such a fun idea! I really thought I wanted a dress with an illusion neckline when I first started shopping, but I instantly figured out that it wasn't the best look on me! I don't have pictures of the super rejects anymore but I did find pictures of the runner-ups!

Wedding Dress Rejects: Runner Up!Dresses That Didn't Make the Cut 1

This was the first dress I tried on that I really like (as I'm sure you can tell by the smile on my face Smiley shame ). I didn't love the back and wasn't sure how much I wanted to wear a purple dress, so I started looking at other Hayley Paige dresses which led me to my wedding dress! Smiley heart

Wedding Dress Rejects: 2nd Runner UpDresses That Didn't Make the Cut 2

I believe this dress was by Allure!

Wedding Dress Rejects: 3rd Runner UpDresses That Didn't Make the Cut 3

Near the end of the shopping trip, as you can tell by my face!

The winner!Dresses That Didn't Make the Cut 4

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I only tried on one dress, so I don't have any that didn't make the cut. I found the dress I wanted on BHLDN and ordered it. It came in and was exactly what I wanted. Would have been fun to try on other things though. But no regrets. I love my dress and I'm so happy I went that route.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Right?! They were beautiful, but I didn't feel anything personally.Yes! I'm petite so my dress is a mixture of a-line and ball gown. In other words, it's not incredibly puffy as I'd drown in it.I do like dress #2 on you even though you didn't go with it!

• Katrin
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Katrin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Here are some photos of dresses I liked, but didn't love! I ended up going with a GORGEOUS dress that fit me like a glove and hardly needs ANY alterations. These dresses are from Renewed with Love bridal, that carries surplus and overstocked dresses at discount prices. I tried on *the* dress at #4, and after that every dress afterwards made me fall in love with #4 even more. I am so excited to share the final photographs.

It had pockets!!!! But it was so heavy and doesn't match our rustic venue.Dresses That Didn't Make the Cut 5First one I tried on. I liked the floral lace going down, but I didn't like that the belt was attached. The neck was weird.Dresses That Didn't Make the Cut 6It was nice and classic, but not quite as spunky and creative as I am.Dresses That Didn't Make the Cut 7

• Helene
    Beginner June 2019 Quebec
    Helene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Great idea love it wish i will be able to do the same. so funny
  • Julie
    Expert March 2019 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you Bianca. I do too. Until I posted here, I hadn't thought about that dress but seeing my smile reminded me of how exciting I was! I don't know why but I get paranoid about posting pics of my dress anywhere just in case someone from our Wedding sees which I know is plain silly.
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I tried on close to 30 dresses. I went to 4 different places before I fell in love with one haha
  • Paige
    Frequent user June 2019 Manitoba
    Paige ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Halter! This was when trying it in so it’s 2 sizes too big and pinned in back so the bust and such don’t quiiiite fit right yet. Also the random lace in the cleavage was to show me what it could look like if I add an insert because I was comfortable with how deep the V is. I went in looking for “soft, flowy and lace” and found just that 😍 (also it was on clearance for $99 🙌🏻)

Dresses That Didn't Make the Cut 8
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The 3rd one was actually one I loved until I put it on and it cut me at such a weird spot! I found that with most of the empire or a line. I am fairly short with a short torso so nothing hit at a nice spot
    i ended up going with a Stella York dress. Lace and tulle with an illusion back. I love it. Trying so hard to not post pictures until after the wedding!
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I almost didn't go to the next one, but my stepmom convinced me to so I agreed since she and my dad were paying lol so glad I went, but that other dress stayed #1 until I tried on the one I said yes to so it was really close!
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Eeeee... I'm getting so excited. I bought a 'getaway' dress today too, because I need to leave my bridal gown with my sister at the reception, and I just couldn't wrap my head around changing into leggings Smiley laugh

Lots of pictures will come, for sure... probably with just a link to a big photo album for everyone cus I won't be able to narrow it down... haha!

I wanted to be on a SYTTD type show so bad, cus I'm obsessed with them, lol, but once I went through the actual experience of dress shopping, I realized how stressful and unenjoyable that probably would have made it.

• Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m sure your dress looks amazing! It sounds like a princess-type of gown ☺️
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Good thing you went to your next appointment! Isn’t it funny how they say that when you know you know? Although that side ruffle dress is cute too!
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Okay Brittany, now I seriously can’t want for you to get married and post pictures of you in your dress!

I think long-sleeves would have looked great on you, but something about them seem so... cumbersome.

I hate that some places don’t allow photographs! I honestly found that I went back to the place that let me take photographs of the dresses because those were the only ones I remembered. I went to a certain bridal boutique that is featured on a certain Canadian edition of a TLC program, and they didn’t let me take a single picture and were sooooo pushy for me to get the dress that day! Ugh.
  • Gabrielle
    Frequent user May 2019 Ontario
    Gabrielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes! The strapless look with a sweetheart neckline that was subtle looked amazing on me without making me look “bulky” in the shoulders
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I totally see what you’re saying about the fabric! I’m concerned about my shoulders looking too broad too, so I definitely ended up going with something in more of a ball gown too lol.
    Did you still end up going with strapless?
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I can totally see why your friends would like this dress, it’s beautiful on you!
    Your dress that you described sounds really lovely and it all comes down to what makes you the most comfortable and “bridal” on your wedding day!
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Those all look great but so different on you! How many did you end up trying on before you found “the one”?
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m envious that you were able to try on so many different styles! I definitely agree with you that sleeves are not working (especially that second dress lol).

What style of dress did you end up going with?
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It’s good that you knew what you wanted and stuck with your guns! I honestly like the mermaid look on other people and you can see that I tried one on and was definitely a little disappointed that it didn’t do anything for me whatsoever.

Like you, I also went with something on the full side.
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I love the sweetheart neckline! Did the one you go with have a similar neckline?

Isn’t nt it funny that what we think we want isn’t necessarily what we end up with? I always thought I’d want a strapless dress until I got older and realized that that wasn’t what my heart was set on.
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I love your excitement in that dress!

I’m glad to hear you didn’t go with that because although it’s a very nice dress, I’m sure you picked out something more beautiful on you ☺️
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Don’t even get me started on plus size options available in Toronto! I went into these bridal boutiques and had a very difficult time too. The stress of not knowing what my dress will actually look like on me until it comes in is actually giving me anxiety (I tried my dress on in a size that was 6 sizes too small... ugh).

I wish you had visuals so I could know what dresses you were talking about! Are they from a plus-size designer specifically?
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Isn’t it funny how that happens where the one we end up with is rarely the one we thought we wanted?

I really love the 3rd dress and even tried on a similar one (didn’t do anything for me tho). What kind of dress did you end up going with?
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wasnt allowed to take pictures of anything until I had said "yes!" To my dress. There were a few though, and some were very similar to these ones!
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I almost said yes to the plain white with the side ruffles but I had another dress appointment somewhere else the next day so I decided to wait and see. I ended up finding my dress at the next appointment instead lol

Dresses That Didn't Make the Cut 9

Dresses That Didn't Make the Cut 10

Dresses That Didn't Make the Cut 11
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My salon didn't allow photos, until I was in the one I was buying. I tried on all sorts of shapes/styles to show my entourage a variety, but I saved my favourite for last because I just knew that was it.

There was a long sleeve fitted option from the first salon we went to, I wish I'd had a photo of it to remember it better, as most of the group seemed to really like it... But no one cried. And EVERYONE cried at my final dress.

• Gabrielle
    Frequent user May 2019 Ontario
    Gabrielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I absolutely hated these on me. I walked into my appointment sure to get one of these or a similar style. But i found they gave me really broad and bulky looking shoulders. They kind of also made me look like I was slouching all the time and I didnt like how the fabric changed midway the way it does.. my BM was trying to convince me to buy one of those but everyone else I had hated them! I ended up buying a ball gown style dress that made my mom cry.

Dresses That Didn't Make the Cut 12

Dresses That Didn't Make the Cut 13

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics