Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Splurge or Save: Attire?

Lynnie, on August 21, 2017 at 07:05

Posted in Wedding fashion 100

Let's talk about wedding day attire! Wedding dresses and tuxes and suits... oh my! Are you splurging or saving? And why? Photo from Pinterest >>Click here to go to the next question, Splurge or Save: Venue? >>Click here to return to the previous question, Splurge or Save: Invitations?...

Let's talk about wedding day attire! Wedding dresses and tuxes and suits... oh my! Smiley laugh

Are you splurging or saving? And why?

Photo from Pinterest

Photo from Pinterest

>>Click here to go to the next question, Splurge or Save: Venue?

>>Click here to return to the previous question, Splurge or Save: Invitations?

100 Comments

• Jenn
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I haven't found THE dress yet. But this is a category I'm willing to splurge on. All eyes will be on us, so I want to look amazing
  • Alanah
    Frequent user July 2018 British Columbia
    Alanah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Save got my dress on a great sale !
  • Barbara
    Devoted July 2018 Ontario
    Barbara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely saving on the wedding dress, i found something well within my budget and my mom ended up purchasing it for me. The suit we may spend a little more on, only because he'll actually be able to wear it again.
  • Melissa
    Devoted November 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are definitely saving on our attire! My dress was hugely discounted at a co-workers store! and he already owns his attire!

• Amanda
    Curious July 2018 New Brunswick
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Saving. This is my second wedding. Not spending a ton on a dress if I can help it.
  • Arielle
    Devoted July 2020 British Columbia
    Arielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're saving on this. My fiancee is reusing her graduation dress and we bought mine from a charity event. She's done all the work on the dress herself. If she decides to wear a suit, I'm sure we'll still find ways to improvise. I mean, what's the point of spending ten grand on a dress you're only going to wear once?

• Shelby
    Frequent user October 2017 British Columbia
    Shelby ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We went over budget.. my dress was over. When we went to go rent suits it cost $225 to rent or $260 to buy, so we bought his suit.
  • Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I feel like we saved here I had 7K for my dress and alterations etc (I am 6'2 and was prepared for the worst) and 1K for FH, I am just around 3.5K for everything and FH is at 700 and only because he is paying for the groomsman's rentals as well as his own and he had to buy his own shoes (strangely they don't have 16's for rentals)

• Shiyrah
    Curious September 2017 Manitoba
    Shiyrah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Splurge, to a point. I still had a budget to work with for my dress, and the guys got a deal on their outfits
  • Donna
    Curious April 2018 Ontario
    Donna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My dress was a splurge. My mother paid for it but I did choose one under the budget we discussed. I splurged on my shoes, too.

• J
    Curious April 2018 Alberta
    Jesse ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Save for me, bit of a splurge for my future hubby. I went to a consignment store for my wedding dress, and it came in under half of what I had budgeted for myself! His suit was just a tad over our planned budget though.

• Chelsey
    Curious September 2017 Ontario
    Chelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Save! My aunt is a seamstress, so she is making my dress. We picked out the fabric together, but the labour is her wedding gift to me which is really fantastic!

• Kaytee
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kaytee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We saved on attire. I made sure to have a budget for my dress and it is perfect and it came in under budget. The suits were discounted heavily so we were lucky there.

• Erin
    Expert September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Splurge - My dress, veil and shoes cost me a total of about $2,600. FH's suit and shoes cost us a total of around $1,700. We know its a lot of money for one day, but for us, we wanted to look and feel our best so we budgeted for it!

• Emma
    Curious June 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Save, I want to look good but not over 2,500 good
  • Katelyn
    Frequent user August 2018 Alberta
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A bit of both... My dress was bought of the rack, discontinued and 30% off. I still need to get a veil, bridal belt, shoes, and jewellery, and I think those items will add up!

We're doing a destination wedding with fairly pricey accommodations so I'm really hoping to keep the bridesmaid and flowergirl dress costs down!

The boys.... not sure yet!

• M
    Beginner June 2018 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would say we are splurging been that will be the most we are spending in our wedding other then the photographer.
  • Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was prepared to spend 2000.00 on my dress and no more, I ended up buying my dress and taking it home right then and there. It ended up being a discontinued line, and they only had one. I'm very happy with spending only $600.00. My shoes are Badgley Mischa and I was able to get those for under 180.00 on sale.
  • Dawn
    Frequent user July 2018 Ontario
    Dawn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Saved. I found my dress at a boutique and they wanted $1100 for it. I was like it's from an older collection so I thought I'd find it else where. I found it online for $500. so for my dress, the sash, and alterations all together it came to about $850. My FH suit was free with the rentals of his groomsmen suits.
  • Shannon
    Curious February 2018 British Columbia
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Splurge big time. The dress was a bit over budget, shoes were more expensive, and I still haven't gotten my veil or accessories!

• Tiffany
    Devoted October 2017 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm saving - went to a local dress sale and was able to get a $$$ dress for a fraction of the price!! we also shopped around for suit rentals and surprisingly will be saving there as well!

• Wanda
    Newbie September 2018 Ontario
    Wanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will be doing a bit of both, myself and my maid of honor will have new dresses by all the grooms men will be wearing dress shirts and jeans with a vest. Too wear of course will be cowboy boots for the girls as that is what my daughter and I do, ride horses
  • Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it's hard to say cause what one calls Splurging might be Saving to someone else...
    In my books, I'm Saving. I'm looking at spending about $1500 on my dress and we have FH tux budgeted at $500.
    My cousin got married a few years ago and she spent $7000 on just her dress... $2000 for everything seems like saving to me. Haha
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did a bit of both. I got a dress, but hubby already had everything he wanted to wear minus the tie. So we got that and some fun socks for him.
  • Olga
    Beginner May 2018 Ontario
    Olga ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So far, I have spent $220 (taxes included) on my wedding dress that I got from Boutique 1861 (a hidden gem) in Montreal. The had other wedding dresses and gowns all for under $900, so there were lots of options. The shoes, I got them at The Shoe Company on sale for $17 (taxes included). The groom is planning to rent his suit an buy new shoes. So, in total, I've spent $237 and the groom will likely spend around $350-$400 for suit and shoes. A total of no more than $637 for both of us.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I saved and he splurged a little. We both want to look our best on the day and sometimes that requires a little bit more.

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We haven't set a budget on attire really. I'm hoping to get the dress for under 1500.00. My FH is looking at buying a suit from F apparel in Winnipeg which ranges to 650.00 as we will have weddings to attend to in the near future. The wedding party will be responsible for renting their own suits and buying their own dresses.

• Sara
    Devoted November 2017 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We splurged a little on our attire. I spent more than I had originally thought I was going to on my dress but it was definitely worth it.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This was a splurge for us. Well, my dress anyway. His suit will be custom made but he will be getting a discount on it because I've been a part of the wedding shows here! (it helps knowing people lol). My dress was $2000 (I received a no tax discount on it), belt was $200, veil was $350 (with a 15% discount), and we are unsure of what his suit will cost at this point as we haven't started creating it yet. It will definitely be less than what we paid for my attire though.

• Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Agreed! My dress was definitely a save item. His suit cost more! But really, that's fine because he can wear it over and over and mine is one day only!

• Alexa
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Alexa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My dad spent $3200 on my wedding outfit which is a splurge in my mind. We are paying about $300 per suit so I think that is average. I personally would have been fine not buying a veil (cost $600) but my mom said it's not "traditional"
  • Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I spent $1,000 on my dress which is a splurge in my mind. Everything else to go with it has been minimal: Shoes $20, reception shoes $20, veil (using mom's), earrings ($20), necklace (wearing great aunt's), sash $20, hair comb ($25).

The groom splurged on his suit and is purchasing one because he doesn't have one so it'll be worth it. I just wished he would've used the coupon I gave him!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics