Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Splurge or Save: Attire?

Lynnie, on August 21, 2017 at 07:05

Posted in Wedding fashion 100

Let's talk about wedding day attire! Wedding dresses and tuxes and suits... oh my! Are you splurging or saving? And why? Photo from Pinterest >>Click here to go to the next question, Splurge or Save: Venue? >>Click here to return to the previous question, Splurge or Save: Invitations?...

Let's talk about wedding day attire! Wedding dresses and tuxes and suits... oh my! Smiley laugh

Are you splurging or saving? And why?

Photo from Pinterest

Photo from Pinterest

>>Click here to go to the next question, Splurge or Save: Venue?

>>Click here to return to the previous question, Splurge or Save: Invitations?

100 Comments

• Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Splurge!!!!
  • M
    Beginner May 2018 New Brunswick
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Splurge. It's not often we get to dress so fancy
  • Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We saved a lot on my dress and the suits! My one bridesmaid had a family friend who worked at Moores and he gave all the groomsman and the groom a 40% discount on the suit rentals which included the pants, the jacket, the shoes, socks, pocket square, vest, 2 shirts, tie, and cufflinks and the guys got to keep the socks and pocket squares!
    For my dress I also saved because the same bridesmaid knew the owner and got her to drop the price of my dress by a couple hundred!

• Aixa
    Curious September 2017 Ontario
    Aixa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I splurged a bit on my dress but I love it and I'm paying for it myself. The tux my fiancé already had it so he looks so good and we didn't have to spend anymore
  • Olga
    Beginner May 2018 Ontario
    Olga ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think the dress is like the top 3 most important things at a wedding, however, if it's possible to save (which now-a-days is very easy to), then save.

I got my new dress from a boutique in Montreal called Boudoir 1861. I got it for $200 (tax included). I got my shoes from The Shoe Company during a sale last month for $16 (tax included). I'm wearing my mom's veil and jewelry. So, in total for me (bride) I've spent $216 in my wedding attire.

I still have to get my fiance's attire for which we have budgeted $300.

• Reona
    Frequent user March 2018 Ontario
    Reona ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I thought I was splurging but talking to some of other brides or friends, I realized I was saving... Smiley smile

• JENNIFER
    Frequent user December 2017 Ontario
    JENNIFER ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Save. But only because my mom blessed me with buying my Maggie Sottero dress that was over $3000. My fiancée mom blessed him by paying for a custom made suit jacket from a design he found and loved.
  • Victorea
    Frequent user July 2018 Alberta
    Victorea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So I actually won a contest in my home town and won my wedding dress. So attire has been a save for us

• Kelsey
    Frequent user February 2018 Ontario
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I might have splurged by accident haha!

• Kila
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Kila ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Dress shopping is today !!! I set a budget of 2000$ which is a huge splurge for me I'm usually really cheap about clothes ! Hoping to get my dream dress 👗
  • Shannon
    Devoted June 2020 British Columbia
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Save. Fiance used to work at Moore's at knows what the best looking and cheapest rentals are for the boys, and I have 3 payments left on my gown, which my mom and mil will alter for me, so it should total less than $500
  • M
    Newbie July 2018 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I set my budget and stuck to it- didn't try anything on that was over the price. There's something special about getting the full dress buying experience at a nice bridal salon but I still found the perfect dress for under $2000!
  • Christina
    Newbie July 2018 Alberta
    Christina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Save for sure!! Got dress on clearance and fiancé renting his tux.

• Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Save. I bought off the rack and on sale but its still expensive for a one day dress

• Cherie
    Curious July 2020 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Cherie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm kind of doing both! To me I am splurging but to most id be saving! I'm ordering my dress offline very cheap but at the same time I'm splurging because its the most expensive one out of the ones I picked from! But to me the dress is the favorite part of getting married so it definitely worth splurging on!
  • Novardensphere
    Beginner May 2019 Alberta
    Novardensphere ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Save for sure cause why spend the money on something worn once.

• Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

While my dress was the most expensive item of clothing I've ever bought, I would still say that I saved because we didn't go for the crazy expensive dresses.

• L
    Devoted September 2017 Saskatchewan
    Lyz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Saved. found my perfect dress used for 450
  • Jennifer
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not sure yet, but since we are having an outdoorsy/bohemian type - I don't think we have to splurge Smiley smile

• Andrea
    Frequent user September 2017 Manitoba
    Andrea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I got a bit of a discount on my dress but it was still close to $1500. Didn't need any alterations, only have to pay for them to put the bustle on. The grooms suit we got custom made and splurged a bit paying $1000 but at least he will be able to use it again!

• Cristina
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Cristina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will be spending for our attire's, we want to look awesome on our big day.

I defiantly want to buy my dress since it's going to be a big day for me and get all super dolled up, which by the way I am totally looking forward to.

The groom has no idea and I can not wait to see his reaction when he gets to finally see me on the day of.

• Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Splurge for me! Eventhough I got lucky with the price of my gown, I would have paid full price!
  • Lesley
    Newbie May 2018 Ontario
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Saving fiance is wearing his dress uniform. For myself I haven't bought the dress yet but I plan in being on budget.
  • Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I managed to get a dress for under $1,000 that's fully embroidered and looks pretty fancy. The FH will be getting a work-quality suit custom made, and I've budgeted $1,500.00 for that. I also told the bridesmaids I'd get their dresses or contribute for their dresses, so we're trying to be reasonable on all fronts.

• Faith
    Devoted October 2017 Ontario
    Faith ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I bought my from consignment but it's beautiful! I saved a butt load this way. And his aunt is paying for his suit! Yay
  • Brandi
    Newbie July 2018 Ontario
    Brandi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would have splurged.. but mom ended up buying my dress Smiley smile Love her!
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't purchased my dress yet, but I do have a budget for it. However, this is one area we agreed I could go over budget.

• C
    Newbie August 2018 British Columbia
    Christina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Somewhat splurge. I spent more than I probably needed to, but I found the perfect dress and still stayed within the price range I promised myself I wouldn't go over. My dream dress was worth every penny!

• B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My budget was quite small so compared to that, I splurged. Compared to other brides, probably not lol
  • Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Splurge...to a point. I had a budget for my dress and was well under. I was hoping not to spend TOO much money - though it's a big day, I know I'll only wear it once and then throw it in a closet.

• V
    Beginner June 2018 Quebec
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Splurge, to a certain extent. I have a budget of 1500$ for my dress. I haven't found the one yet, but I'm hoping it doesn't cost us much. This wedding is already over budget because of the reception hall 😩
  • Kila
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Kila ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My first dress appointment is on Friday !!! So exciting so I guess I will know more soon . Trying to keep the dress under 2000$ and for me that is a splurge for sure

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics