Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sadia
Frequent user August 2021 Ontario

Covid-19 + wedding season

Sadia, on March 11, 2020 at 23:31

Posted in Plan a wedding 267

I feel like this conversation was bound to come up. Any brides on here that are *starting* to get a little alarmed/concerned that the virus might interfere with their wedding? Do they even offer insurance on these kinds of things? I’m not as concerned or panicked as the people in Costco that are...
I feel like this conversation was bound to come up. Any brides on here that are *starting* to get a little alarmed/concerned that the virus might interfere with their wedding? Do they even offer insurance on these kinds of things? I’m not as concerned or panicked as the people in Costco that are stuffing their carts with TP, but I AM wondering if any other brides have a back up plan?

267 Comments

• Tracy
    Beginner July 2021 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You want to do it where you have options for a new date and to keep vendors especially if you made deposits
  • Tracy
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We just post poned our July 5 wedding to Aug 30. I'm hoping that by end of may we will know if it is looking ok for then. Next step would be to postpone into the new year. It doesn't look good for July. All my vendors were available end of Aug. So it just cost me the price of new invites. If you are able to push the date. I highly recommend.
  • S
    Newbie June 2020 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think that's what we'll end up doing too - but I'll give it a bit longer since we have some wiggle room before we absolutely have to cancel. It'd be nice to have a party when we don't have to worry about anything - just enjoy the celebration!

• L
    Curious June 2020 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is a good point! I hadn’t considered the marriage license issue. Each day we’re closer to just calling the whole thing off. Maybe postponing to next year like others have suggested.
  • S
    Newbie June 2020 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My wedding is the same day in Ontario. Our venue is closed currently, but they seem to be under the impression they'll be back at work in 2 weeks.

My partner and I both work in health care and we both believe that we are just at the beginning of this outbreak. Unfortunately, you just have to look at other countries to see how long the outbreak is lasting.

I want to remain optimistic, but I don't see a way that this will be over by June and that it'll be safe for anyone to gather in a large group. We'll continue to take it day by day and we have a similar plan of doing a small ceremony with our parents and witnesses only. Then in a year or so we'll have a big party. The other issue we've come across is that City Hall isn't open so it's not possible for us to get a marriage license.

It's not what we had planned, but it is what it is. Hoping that the venues and vendors will continue to be accommodating. Thinking of everyone struggling with this in the midst of such an unprecedented and concerning time. We're all in this together!

• K
    Frequent user October 2020 Ontario
    Kara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh man. I’m so sorry that you had to make that decision😕 that is a lot to factor in right now!!
    Hoping that you’re able to recoup any losses and move your date to something more favourable. All the best girl!!
  • A
    Newbie June 2020 Ontario
    Ashton ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    There were quite a few reasons, we have a lot of out of town guests that we were expecting to attend, we didn’t choose a banquet hall - we had an empty venue that was up to us to decorate which makes it difficult for us to secure with our vendors during this time as we don’t know how many guests will truly be attending and on top of it all, we don’t want the negative stigma to stick with our desired date. If we had booked at a banquet hall, we may have waited a bit longer before making a decision.

Sending you positive vibes!
  • K
    Frequent user October 2020 Ontario
    Kara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m the same date. May I ask why you guys chose to cancel?
  • Alessia
    Newbie April 2020 Ontario
    Alessia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hello,

We were getting married on Apil 18 2020 and I don't think its getting better so we decided to postpone the wedding to July 25 2020. All of our vendors have been very accommodating and helping us out as best as possible.
    My fiance and I are still planning to get married at the church on april 18 with our parents and bridal party only. Hopefully they dont mandate them to close 😭
  • Lolita
    Newbie May 2023 Ontario
    Lolita ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hello, I am not a bride. I am just a wedding bloger.
    I think that there are no reasons to start panic if your wedding is at the end of year. Just should wait for 3-4 months and see the existing situatian and then decide what to do. But those who have soon wedding I can recommened not to risk and cancelled. Speak to your wedding planner to resume expensses or a part of them.

You should be ready that everyone have panic now. And not everyone will understand you and cut a deal with you.

If despite everything you want to have and will have a wedding, remember:

Due to the widespread disease, some guests may back
    out of attending the wedding. We want you to understand that and bear no
    grudges. Instead, plan for a small number of guests. Inform them of the
    situation in your area so that they can prepare for it. Include a link to the
    WHO website on your RSVP card, so they stay informed.

Meanwhile, for the benefit of those who couldn't make
    it or the elderly, consider live streaming. Create a website or group where you
    have all the guests. Have a person present at your wedding live stream the
    event in real-time. Everyone watching will feel as though they were there.

• A
    Newbie June 2020 Ontario
    Ashton ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It is with an extremely heavy heart that we cancelled our wedding for June 20th. I have just contacted all of our vendors in hopes that there is some remorse from their end.

Unfortunately at this time, we don’t have a new date set. We’ve been planning for the last two years and it’s heartbreaking to know this is happening. We agreed to have a civil ceremony and then a celebration next year when the world is back at peace.
    To all future brides, I know what you’re going through and it’s certainly not easy. Just know, we’re all in this together and you’re not alone. Making a decision like this is selfless and responsible. As difficult as it is, you’re helping and caring for everyone else around you.
    Sending all of my love and strength.
  • K
    Kani ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m June 27 in the GTA in Ontario. I want to postpone and it’s been hard finding a new date later this year that my vendors are all free on.

Trudeau and health experts have said that social distancing could last for several months to contain the virus.
    I think anyone with a wedding into August should seriously consider changing their dates. This isn’t going away anytime soon.
    There will still be a social stigma with large groups in a few months. I was planning a wedding with about 120 people and I’ve had several guests tell me they are concerned now. We also have several elderly guests. We also have about 20 guests who are health care workers (physicians, nurses, pharmacists) and they are high risk for having the disease and passing it on.

• Savannah
    Frequent user April 2020 Ontario
    Savannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding is May 23rd, while I’m stressing over the situation I’m trying to remain calm and remember it’s something that is completely out of our control. We’ve decided if what we have planned for that day is not possible we are still going to do a private ceremony with our parents and Maid of Honor and Best Man, and then will postpone the big party and perhaps do a vow renewal at a later date. We’re just trying to keep positive and hope for the best! 😊
  • D
    Frequent user June 2020 Saskatchewan
    Dawn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I contacted all our vendors and officiant and the small ceremony and rescheduling the big party with no problems!
  • D
    Frequent user June 2020 Saskatchewan
    Dawn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are due to be married june 21st and if we need to cancel the big party and just have a small ceremony with our parents and siblings. Then have the big party and ceremony at a later date.
  • Kayley
    Newbie August 2020 Alberta
    Kayley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi!

Yeah I am very concerned and am now thinking we may need to postpone our wedding. It is on May 16th. Our photographer just quit and is flying back to Australia. Ya...I am stressing big time. It sucks not having any certainty.

Anybody else thinking of postponing?

• Sasha
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My wedding is also June 27th. I'm in the same boat. Just like you, I will get married that day and postpone the party. My only thing is that the ceremony would be in a catholic church. I'm hoping the priest would still allow that? It would be less than 50 people. If anyone knows - let me know. I can always reach out to him but I think it's a bit too early.
  • J
    Newbie September 2020 Ontario
    Joyce ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm in GTA, Ontario so we are currently under the State of Emergency. My wedding was on early May and we are rescheduling it to mid Sept. It took 3 days of endless phone calls and emails, but all of the vendors were so understanding and accommodating.

• Tori
    Curious October 2020 Ontario
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am honestly heart broken thinking about couples who have had to cancel their weddings..... So far we have canceled our Stag and Doe, which was going to be April 18th, and a shower my future mother in law was throwing me on March 29th has been postponed/ canceled. I have other showers happening in late April/May, along with my bachelorette the first weekend of May. Currently things are just shut down for a couple weeks, although it seems likely it will continue well past that timeline, so we are taking it day by day. Our wedding is June 27th and we have both said we will still get married and just postpone the party if needed...
  • M
    Newbie July 2022 British Columbia
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Taking it day by day right now, but I'm not feeling very hopeful about the whole thing at this point.

Our wedding was to be July 7th in Ontario for just family, with our reception a few days later on July 11th in Vancouver for extended family and friends.. But his family would all be coming from Japan, so at this point if things remain the same, we have to postpone until next year since it would not feel right to get married without them there..There's still some things we need to plan/organize, and one or two vendors we still needed to nail down, plus some decor stuff.. so I am pretty torn about what to do at this point. If I wait it out and things turn out okay, we might not have enough time to do what needs to be done. If I plan full throttle, and the situation does not change, we might end up being out more money than we likely already are going to be Smiley sad I am really upset..
  • L
    Newbie May 2020 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My wedding is on May 2nd and I am in Ontario. I called my venue to see what is happening there with regards to this whole virus situation. They said the March weddings are being postponed 3 months, and April they have a choice, and most postponed. and May are all still having weddings so far. In the next two weeks they will let us know. It is such a difficult time and I am freaking out a bit. I really want to get married on the day I chose and have all preparations for that date and feel so sad about it all, but I am hoping for the best I also want my guests to feel safe coming to the wedding it is so difficult. Wish you all the best!

• M
    Curious August 2020 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our Wedding is August 22 2020 so will be waiting things out and seeing how things go the next couple months. Absolutely Terrible to hear what others are going through. I couldn’t imagine changing our special day we have been planning it the last 2.5 years. It would be devastating. Thinking about all you as you make these changes ❤️ much love
  • Stephanie
    Beginner July 2022 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My wedding is August 2....have only got an email from the venue saying they are putting forth safety measures. My invitation girl said to get the invites printed today because her printer place was shutting down so I am hoping the info will still be valid!

• L
    Curious June 2020 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely nervous. Ceremony is June 14 in Ontario and my partner’s family (who usually does things VERY last minute) decided to buy their tickets from Peru last week. Still unsure about the reception. So far everything here is only shut down for 3ish weeks, but it seems like months is what’s going to be necessary. If nothing else, expect to have a low turn-out or still be banned from having more than 20-50 guests. It’s hard, but it’s worth it.
  • Hannah
    Newbie April 2021 British Columbia
    Hannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our wedding was scheduled for April 11th in Victoria, BC. Since we are from SK we have made the decision to postpone until 2021. We went through a million scenarios.

Does anyone have advice on negotiating vendors to lock in your 2020 pricing?

• Lo Mclaughlin
    Newbie August 2020 Ontario
    Lo Mclaughlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My bridal shower is supposed to be April 4th, and my bachelorette is supposed to be April 23-26. Wedding May 16th. So far my venue has closed their doors for the next 2-3 weeks, but is keeping everything after that for the time being. I'm from Ontario, my bridal party is scattered around Ontario and the US. Since they've closed down the US border to Canadians and vice versa effective today, I think we will be rescheduling bridal shower for sure but still keeping bachelorette until the last minute (we're flying through WestJet and their cancellation policy is pretty flexible). It's in Montreal... and I know QC is creating a lot more strict guidelines and have also declared a state of emergency. Ugh... this is so heartbreaking... all this work to potentially have to reschedule. I'm here to talk to if anyone needs!!!

• Chenise
    Newbie October 2021 New Brunswick
    Chenise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I know my partner and I are very nervous even if our wedding is all the way in September. I am in a risk group for COVID-19 (previous lung issues) and it makes us uneasy on all fronts with planning because there is so much uncertainty on whether or not this will be resolved by then or if the vaccine will be available by then, etc. It's very scary.

But remember to practice social distancing and keep you amd yours safe at this uncertain time. ❤ Good luck with wedding planning, everyone!
  • Addie
    Newbie May 2020 New Brunswick
    Addie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Natasha,

Our wedding is also on May 16th in New Brunswick. We live in Vancouver and will be travelling back to NB for the wedding. Hopefully.
    We’re going to make a decision in a few weeks, around April 1st. Keeping calm.
    Wishing you the best of luck!
    Addie
  • Tanja
    Newbie August 2021 Quebec
    Tanja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wedding August 29th in Montreal. Lots of people saying it's still far away but also lots of people not feeling very hopeful. Was looking at a 120 guest count...quarter of them from out of province and a quarter from the States. Yelp.

• B
    Britteny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hello Fellow June 13th bride!
    I wasn’t nervous until this weekend. We had set up our buck and doe DJ was set up we were an hour out and our city declared shut down of all arenas and public centres so all that time and effort literally down the drain in an instant.
    I’m trying to remain positive the world will get back to normal, however also being in health care it’s so much uncertainty I’ve currently put all wedding planning on hold!
    Here’s to hoping this all clears up soon and we can still have the day we’ve waited and dreamed of!!!!
    To all the other brides having to postpone or cancel my heart goes out to you! We feel you and we are hear for you! Sending love and positivity
  • B
    Britteny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m June 13 trying to take it day by day- hoping the world gets back together soon!
  • Diana
    Newbie November 2022 Saskatchewan
    Diana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We haven’t decided yet. Going to see how it all plays out and decide in a couple of months. Will still get legally married on the 4th, with just our parents and marriage commissioner.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics