Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sadia
Frequent user August 2021 Ontario

Covid-19 + wedding season

Sadia, on March 11, 2020 at 23:31

Posted in Plan a wedding 267

I feel like this conversation was bound to come up. Any brides on here that are *starting* to get a little alarmed/concerned that the virus might interfere with their wedding? Do they even offer insurance on these kinds of things? I’m not as concerned or panicked as the people in Costco that are...
I feel like this conversation was bound to come up. Any brides on here that are *starting* to get a little alarmed/concerned that the virus might interfere with their wedding? Do they even offer insurance on these kinds of things? I’m not as concerned or panicked as the people in Costco that are stuffing their carts with TP, but I AM wondering if any other brides have a back up plan?

267 Comments

• Sasha
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Then if shes booked, she should give you a refund. Absolutely yes. This pandemic is not your fault. Vendors should understand.
  • Sheharzad
    Newbie May 2020 Ontario
    Sheharzad ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey, you can try asking vendors to put a soft hold on a date for you, while you reach out to other vendors to see if the same date works for them! That's what I did when I was rescheduling mine. I know it's still so complicated but hopefully they are willing to work with you. Wishing you all the best!

• Amber
    Newbie June 2020 British Columbia
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding is June 11. I don’t see how postponing is even an option, it’s so administratively complex. My photographer said she’s reschedule with no change fee for up to a year, but she’s booked mostly for the next year! Wtfffff. How would one even coordinate all vendors and venue to the same day again? I hope some vendors relax and just refund. It is what it is.
  • Sadia
    Sadia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You won’t believe the # of calls I’m getting from aunts and relatives asking me to cancel the wedding. I cant imagine what you’re going through too but the best advice (I’ve been doing this) is to literally listen to everyone voice their opinion, make sounds of approval, and then remind yourself that nobody else’s opinion matters in this except you and your FH. People LOVE to stress us out but stay cool, keep monitoring things and don’t let others push you into any hasty decisions!
  • Sadie
    Beginner October 2020 Ontario
    Sadie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you love.

We did not cancel we postponed and she was the first I called when the choice was made. Also more like what the province said we could not. I understand not getting the deposit but all of it... We rebooked with her right away... not a credit nothing and she is refusing to speak. This is her first year doing it full time.

Needless to say we will not be using her for our postponed date. She will not get a penny from us simply sickening.

• Natasha
    Curious July 2021 New Brunswick
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m just gonna put this here...
    July 4th, 2020
    I literally have no idea what to do. So many people say it won’t happen/give up etc.I’m so back and forth... Smiley sad

• M
    Newbie August 2020 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey there. I contacted my vendors March 17th to discuss a back up date. These included my venue, dj, decorator, officiant, caterer, tent and chair rental company.

My photographer was willing to work with me but she has another wedding on my back up date. I may lose my deposit but I do plan to ask for it back based on the fact that we aren’t permitted to even have a gathering. But I am ok losing it
    I am making calls tomorrow to confirm we are moving to August but I will be requesting they allow me a plan C date for May 2021. Who knows what they’ll say. We did artificial flowers so I picked them up already.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was so optimistic ladies! I hope the rest of Canada wakes up and starts practicing social distancing so we can all proceed with our weddings!

Sending positive vibes and hugs out to everyone!

• Vanny
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Vanny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm an August bride as well (August 8) and my fiance and I have been talking non stop about what to do. People are saying this will die out by summer but even then, everything will be rushed. Ahhh I hate the uncertainty

• Sadie
    Sadie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

She isn't willing to do that either... we were just postponing and booked back with her with our new date and her whole story has changed.

I understand not getting it all 100% we all have to live but she is keeping thousands and refuses to speak. Highly unprofessional and for a small town not a bright idea.

• Sadie
    Sadie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks girl!

I thought I had a great relationship with mine as well until days after...

All the best!

• Sadia
    Sadia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow... that’s awful. Is she at least offering to work with you for a postponed date? Or were you looking to cancel? Unfortunately a lot of vendors in the wedding business seem like they aren’t willing to refund deposits as they’ve mostly all used up the deposit money on their business. It really sucks, I have no clue what advice to give you other than see if they’re willing to credit the amount for a different date?
  • Vanny
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Vanny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Anyone else have weddings in August? I have started to get seriously worried about last week. I really don't know what to think or do, my fiancé and I hate this uncertainty. We are waiting until end of May to make our decision. What do you guys feel about honeymoons as well? We were planning to leave on the Monday after our wedding and to be honest I don't think anyone should be committing to travelling abroad at all for the rest of the year, I'm still trying to learn to accept that our honeymoon will not be happening.

Hang in there everyone!! We have to uplift each other XOXO

• Christine
    Beginner September 2021 Ontario
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have a connection with my florist ! It's my aunt's cousin, so I don't think I would have much issue on getting a refund tbh. I haven't reached out to them yet, but they've been super flexible with everything up to this point just because of my relation.
  • Sadie
    Sadie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It has been very hard.

Everyone was so wonderful at the start and now our florist is refusing to give us a refund.

If anything could you please reach out to yours and let me know what they would do in this situation.

We are just sick about all the money she is taking as her own.

• Sadie
    Sadie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi there,

I am wondering when you made this discission with your venue and vendors.

We are dealing with a horrible situation right now... our florist is refusing a refund and bringing up her cancellation policy... just sick about the whole thing.

This would help my case and I thank you in advance.

• M
    Newbie August 2020 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our wedding is May 23 and our vendors have put us in for back up date of August 1, 2020.

I'm not certain that this is even far enough away but I think at this point we will be postponing to August 1st with the added note to watch our wedding website as we get closer. If we have to, we will do a small ceremony in August and a Reception down the road. OR we would just postpone to the following year if August is a bust but I'm not counting August out just yet. We are not going to see the results of social distancing for a few weeks to come.

So far, our vendors have been fantastic in working with us. I will be calling them this week to officially move to August 2020. But we will have discussions about 2021 in the event that things are still not right. I feel pretty sad about the whole thing but I am also worried sick about this virus so I almost think I'll feel better even pushing to August knowing I don't have to worry and think about it any time in the next two more months lol.

Our wedding will have 200 guests for supper and an additional 400+ to reception but we only have two families flying in for it. Still hoping for the best and praying for health and safety overall. My wedding will happen, just not sure when.

• VicGin
    Beginner August 2020 British Columbia
    VicGin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi! ((hugs)) to all Smiley heart

I'm an August 2nd 2020 bride, and it's looking like we will be making a decision mid-April. We have approx 30 guest coming from Europe and Down Under :-( and this includes all my family. I know deep down what's going to happen as we have multiple countries involved all with different restrictions and infection rates. I can't even bring myself open my wedding spreadsheets to look at numbers and vendor information yet, just about holding it together.

We have thought about postponing for a year, but it's looking like we will do a small gathering of 10 people on the day and live stream the ceremony to my parents. In Spring 2021 we will hopefully travel to the UK for a wedding reception/honeymoon in Europe and the throw a bigger reception/party here on our first wedding anniversary next summer.

Such a difficult time for us all Smiley heart

• Lise
    Newbie August 2020 British Columbia
    Lise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think you would be ok depending on the size of the church. Not sure where you live but in B.C. the max amount of people you can have at a gathering is 50 people but that doesn’t mean you can all be hugging and dancing and side by side. They said that you still have to physically distance. If it’s a good sized church, you might have the room to have people 6 feet apart in the pews. I know that’s lame but at least you’re able to do your ceremony and have people there. The important part is that you’re getting married (obviously 😋).
    When talking to the priest, tell him your plans to keep it safe with physical distancing (i.e. everyone will walk in single file 6 feet apart into the church to their aisle and sit 6 feet apart. People will be spaced apart in the pews by us putting Small bouquets of flowers between each person etc.) maybe they will be more likely to hold the ceremony if you have certain ideas.

Hope that helps a bit and good luck 🙏🏼
  • Lise
    Lise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi there,
    This sucks. I’m so sorry you’re dealing with that (as we all are). Our wedding is August 1st and we were planning on cutting our wedding from 230 to 50 (in BC it’s still 50 people) and then I was watching the news today and someone said “just because we say there can be gatherings of 50 people, it doesn’t mean you can have a party - you still need to social distance. We’re hoping by making it 50 people, physical distancing can occur” and then it hit me....I can’t have a wedding of 50 people unless we’re all 2 metres apart. I don’t want this to freak you out but that’s what really hit me today. Now we are talking about just doing the ceremony with his immediate family and mine so 9 of us total. 🙁 we think we will then have a big party next year so everyone can join.
  • Lise
    Lise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Our wedding is August 1st and we are doing exactly what you’re doing. We are doing a very small ceremony with just our immediate families (9 of us total) and then having a party next year. Good luck to you. Think we made the right call!
  • Shannon
    Curious October 2021 Ontario
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My friends have a wedding coming up this October and were told by the venue that there's the potential that they may cancel all events for the rest of the year. It's very unfortunate, I really do hope everything can get sorted soon.

• Kristen
    Devoted May 2021 British Columbia
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am August 22 as well and staying hopeful. We already have everything planned and haven't heard from any of our vendors or our venue so were not to worried as of now. were going to wait till the end of July to make our decision. Never know what will happen!

• Tracy
    Beginner July 2021 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My wedding was July 5 and I just asked about post poning to Aug 30. They had to get approval from manager but they allowed it. All vendors were on board. It only cost me my in invitations. Next step will be to see where we are beginning of may as to whether end of Aug looks like it would happen
  • Kristen
    Beginner September 2020 Saskatchewan
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

HI ! YES YES and YES ! I havent been stressed about any of the wedding planning process until this crisis came up! I'm stressing big time ! Our wedding is supposed to be May 23rd and we are 98% sure that that is not going to happen. I have a couple options that i have been thinking about doing as a Plan B, starting with the most likely to happen:

1) Postpone the wedding until fall and hopefully things have settled down enough to have a wedding by then, I've talked to my Venue and and they have two dates available in September (the latest month that they are open) If things are still crazy by our postponed date we will just get married on our postponed date with the JP and our witnesses and have someone Live video for a family it and have a reception once everything is over and safe to do so.

2) Get Married on out current date (May 23rd) with our JP and witnesses and live video it for family. Next year on our 1 year anniversary have a ceremony and reception.

3) Get Married on May 23rd with just the JP and witnesses with live video. Cancel the reception all together and save some the money !

Every thing is just so unknown right now that its hard to decide what will be the smarted or best move.

• Douglas
    Newbie August 2020 Alberta
    Douglas ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We have the same date as you (aug 22nd) as well. We just today sent out our cancellation email to all of our guests. We will be doing a very small wedding on the same date, but have decided to push the "celebration" date to next year. We still had lots left to plan, and with all the businesses closed, the planning came to a screeching halt. Not to mention our venue sent us an email expressing their concerns as well.

• M
    Newbie May 2021 Alberta
    Meghyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding is also July 18th 2020 and my bridal shower is on May 14th. I am wondering if we should be postponing it or if I should continue to just wait and see.

I just got word that my seamstress has closed now due to the closures of all non essential businesses. This means I won't be able to get my wedding dress altered nor will my bridesmaid be able to get their dresses altered and my groomsmen cant buy their suits as all the stores are closed.
    I understand that the biggest thing right now is actually getting married to the love of my life but it is extremely disappointing and stressful the way everything is working out.
    If anyone has any advice or an uplifting message I would really appreciate that.
  • Christine
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh girl I hear you and I'm sorry we're all going through this right now. I really hope things clear up. I keep forgetting we're in March as well, this disease is changing SO MUCH daily and it sucks that it's all out of our control too. My fingers are crossed for all of us and my heart goes out to those that have already had to go through the heartbreak and stress trying to postpone everything.
  • Sadia
    Sadia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh no Christine, that’s awful especially potentially losing the deposit if you switch dates now. A little unfair, too. I’m still trying to keep positive. The absolute trash thing for me is that my wedding consists of a week long of other events too, all which we’ll have to postpone if we postpone the main reception too. It sucks. Think of it as a good thing that you sent out your invites! You probably spent a lot of money and time planning and choosing the design, so at least everyone gets to see your hard work and excitement. I handed out the remainder of my invitations yesterday for that reason. If there has to be a postponement then I’ll digitally message everyone with updates. Other than that, everyone is telling me to just sit back and wait until end of April/early May to decide. It just feels like time has moved so slow... I forget that we’re STILL in March lol
  • Christine
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding is supposed to be on July 18, 2020...with my bridal shower being May 17. Our vendor is telling us to hold off because we technically can't postpone yet as the ban doesnt affect our date. If we choose to go ahead and postpone now, it will be deemed as a cancellation, and we lose our deposit. It just sucks because you pay higher amounts of money for a prime, on season date...then all they want to postpone you to is either a Friday or Sunday during off season.

I know the sacrament of marriage is way more important, but with this ban going on...we won't even be able to have anything via city hall in the meantime. I definitely feel robbed, we were super excited for the wedding this year and counting down the days. Now we have to probably wait another full year for it.
    We also already sent out our invitations too before this was declared a global pandemic. 😥
  • Alyssa
    Newbie October 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Alexandria! So for a private ceremony we’re thinking of just doing it in our church (my fiancé is a pastor’s son) so like with our officiant, his immediate family and mine so like 10 people max! Although, we also came up with a more fun idea recently, since our original date is July and it’s a very warm weather for us around that time, we may go for a quick hike and get married where he proposed to me on a valley cliff and a perfect sunset, with the same people and a photographer. It’s like a 3 hour drive from our city. Hope this can spark you some ideas. I know it’s absolutely heartbreaking to go through this situation nearing our dream weddings but I still pray that things will calm down by then Smiley smile
  • Alexandria
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    Alexandria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have just been “distract, distract, distract!” when it comes to my mood about this. Two years of planning/engagement and a lifetime of dreams of a wedding all down the drain. I have spent $30,000 so far and what has been the point? That’s why I just put it off in my mind and distract myself. But I really don’t think August is going to be deemed ok, and most guests won’t be able to fly from France etc. So I know basically in my heart it won’t happen.
    Maybe there is a deeper reason for all of this?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics