Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Splurge or Save: Food?

Lynnie, on August 21, 2017 at 07:05

Posted in Wedding reception 92

There's no doubt that food and booze costs will eat up a large portion of your total wedding budget! On average, couples tend to spend anywhere from 20-40% of their budget just on food and drinks! While it's always going to a big bill, there are still sooo many ways to splurge and save when it comes...

There's no doubt that food and booze costs will eat up a large portion of your total wedding budget! On average, couples tend to spend anywhere from 20-40% of their budget just on food and drinks!

While it's always going to a big bill, there are still sooo many ways to splurge and save when it comes to food!

So, are you splurging or saving on food at the reception?

Splurge?Splurge?

Photo by Created Not Catered

Or Save?Or Save?

Photo by Dirty Food Catering

>>Click here to go to the next question, Splurge or Save: Florals?

>>Click here to return to the previous question, Splurge or Save: Transportation?

92 Comments

• JENNIFER
    Frequent user December 2017 Ontario
    JENNIFER ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think we saved. We found a hall who completely customized our menu for $51 a head. We're having Christmas dinner with milk and cookies for dessert at our December wedding. We decided to go with a cash bar to save extra costs as well seeing as we aren't big drinkers at all.
  • Victorea
    Frequent user July 2018 Alberta
    Victorea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our food will be average. we are not spending 50$ a plate but we are not having a food truck lol

• Kelsey
    Frequent user February 2018 Ontario
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I promised my fiance we could splurge on food so we're going all out!

• Shannon
    Devoted June 2020 British Columbia
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Save. Having a morning wedding and a lunch reception. Hopefully hiring second year culinary students to cater. Providing beer and wine but no hard liquor.
  • M
    Newbie July 2018 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Somewhere in between- splurge so that the food is GOOD (people remember if it isn't)! But a 8 course meal when you've already had a fully stocked cocktail hour seems over the top and wasteful!
  • Christina
    Newbie July 2018 Alberta
    Christina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Would like to save, going with buffet.

• Cherie
    Curious July 2020 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Cherie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I will be saving tremendously in this category! I have a huge a family who all love to cook and bake so for my food I'm not doing catering I am doing a pot lock because not only is it cheaper but then u get to enjoy my great aunt and aunts and uncles lovely recipes then also have lots of left overseas to take home LOL
  • Novardensphere
    Beginner May 2019 Alberta
    Novardensphere ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Depends on your taste in food but you still want the best quality I would say save

• Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Splurge! Food was our top priority so we wanted to make sure that everyone had good food! Our venue was a restaurant so we had a FnB minimum but didn't have to pay a venue rental fee.

• L
    Devoted September 2017 Saskatchewan
    Lyz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't really know what to consider this one
  • Jennifer
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having probably 140ish guests and even with a buffet style it will still cost us a lot of money...

• Andrea
    Frequent user September 2017 Manitoba
    Andrea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are splurging! Cocktail hour food, 4 course plated dinner and then a late lunch! We are also having a candy buffet!

• Cristina
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Cristina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are splurging, we want the food to be a hit!

The food is what everyone talks about when it comes to weddings.

• Lesley
    Newbie May 2018 Ontario
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Splurge the food is what people will remember.
  • Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Splurged as part of the venue, but also splurging for a cake and a fondue at the end of the night. I hate thinking about it.

• Faith
    Devoted October 2017 Ontario
    Faith ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Totally saving! We're having a potluck lunch! I've had so many friends and family say how excited they are that I'm doing it this way. And some have been thankful as they don't have a lot of money to give gifts, but now they feel like they are helping out by bringing food
  • Brandi
    Newbie July 2018 Ontario
    Brandi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Splurge!
    We are having a cocktail reception... and want our guests to have full bellies on yummy hors d'oeuvres.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Save some, splurge some. With our venue, we have to use the provided caterer. We chose buffet, cheaper than family style, but the second most expensive buffet option because we wanted more than one meat option. We chose the cheaper option for the bar, (they don't do cash bar). So we will be buying the alcohol etc and have some signature drinks for them to choose from. This was cheaper than an open bar.

• B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Save. We did do a buffet style, but made the bar cash, not open
  • Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Kind of in the middle on this one. The food was an important thing to us, but it's included in the overall cost with the venue, so I feel like we're in the middle on this one.

• K
    Newbie September 2018 Saskatchewan
    Klarence ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Splurge! One of the most important thing for the wedding; making sure guests get good food considering most of our guests will be travelling down to where we are.
  • V
    Beginner June 2018 Quebec
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Splurge! The most important part of the whole day! Our food and drinks are included with the venue, which is close to 150CAD per person.
  • Jenn
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Save I guess... it is included in ourvenue pricing at the golf course, so a bunch of costs are rolled into one.
  • Alanah
    Frequent user July 2018 British Columbia
    Alanah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Splurge. It will be our second largest expense (might end up being largest)
  • Barbara
    Devoted July 2018 Ontario
    Barbara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Splurged and saved. This is probably the most expensive part of our wedding, as im sure it is for most. We picked the less expensive option, but we wanted good food for everyone to enjoy!
  • Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Save! We found a BBQ caterer who will give us a buffet with pulled pork, brisket, mac & cheese, corn on the cob, and salad for around $30 per person. Then we'll make our own coleslaw and cornbread.
  • Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is included in our venue price, 70.00 per person, open bar, plated meal, Cocktail hour with hors d'oeuvres, app, pasta, 2 meats, desert, latenight buffet with sweets, Poutine bar, flambe station, pizza, cookies. We were able to get a very good deal because our venue called me and asked to switch our wedding day. Offered to give us a Saturday night for the price of Friday, and I asked to have extra food added, which they gladly said yes too.
  • Melissa
    Devoted November 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There is a lovely menu at our venue that is very reasonably priced! We have eaten there many times before and have never been disappointed!

• Amanda
    Curious July 2018 New Brunswick
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For us this is a splurge. We hired a caterer. So excited.
  • Arielle
    Devoted July 2020 British Columbia
    Arielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're going halfway with this. It's only going to be a cocktail type party, but the smaller portions of food will be pricier.

• Shelby
    Frequent user October 2017 British Columbia
    Shelby ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our cost seemed average with what I looked at. $48 per person.
  • Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our food is wrapped up in our venue and because our head count is so far below the minimum we are a definite big splurge here. We have just over 40% of our budget here.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics