Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Splurge or Save: Food?

Lynnie, on August 21, 2017 at 07:05

Posted in Wedding reception 92

There's no doubt that food and booze costs will eat up a large portion of your total wedding budget! On average, couples tend to spend anywhere from 20-40% of their budget just on food and drinks! While it's always going to a big bill, there are still sooo many ways to splurge and save when it comes...

There's no doubt that food and booze costs will eat up a large portion of your total wedding budget! On average, couples tend to spend anywhere from 20-40% of their budget just on food and drinks!

While it's always going to a big bill, there are still sooo many ways to splurge and save when it comes to food!

So, are you splurging or saving on food at the reception?

Splurge?Splurge?

Photo by Created Not Catered

Or Save?Or Save?

Photo by Dirty Food Catering

>>Click here to go to the next question, Splurge or Save: Florals?

>>Click here to return to the previous question, Splurge or Save: Transportation?

92 Comments

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    As an added bonus they don't usually cater tent weddings but since we've dealt with them many times before through a venue I use to run they will do it for us ❤️
  • Shiyrah
    Curious September 2017 Manitoba
    Shiyrah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would say save, but my fiancé put more value into it so we spent a bit more. Still very affordable tho.
  • Donna
    Curious April 2018 Ontario
    Donna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Splurge! We want our guests to be well fed. There will be plenty of hor d'oeuvres, drinks, seconds and thirds if desired and a late night pizza buffet.

• Katelyn
    Frequent user August 2018 Alberta
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Splurge. We'll have a prime rib carving station plus chicken and of course perogies (prairie roots!). Our venue doesn't allow us to bring in our own alcohol so we're looking at about $7/drink, which we may also subsidize.

• J
    Curious April 2018 Alberta
    Jesse ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Save. We're doing a cocktail style reception rather than formal dinner, which cut the costs by 40% at least! We will still have tons of food for our guests, but now they have the option of what they actually want to eat.

• Chelsey
    Curious September 2017 Ontario
    Chelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Splurge! Food and drinks are the areas that we are willing to spend on our guests.

• Erin
    Expert September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Save and splurge - we are having a comfort food buffet with three mains: roast beef, stuffed chicken and maple salmon, with TONS of sides, plus hors d'oeuvres during cocktail hour and a late night pizza and fries buffet. We are getting a lot of food for the price, but with 150 guests, it is still expensive.

• Kaytee
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kaytee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Slurge for sure! This is the biggest cost BY FAR.

• M
    Beginner June 2018 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are going with a restaurant with only about a guest list of 30 people and I would say 30 dollars per plate. So I would say save.
  • Emma
    Curious June 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Save. I'm all for spending money on a quality meal but I'm not going to have a huge 5+ course meal or a huge cake. It would just go to waste
  • Dawn
    Frequent user July 2018 Ontario
    Dawn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Save! it's included in our venue package so we're getting a deal because I know the owners.
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Dang! I havent found any caterers that cheap here Smiley atonished
  • Shannon
    Curious February 2018 British Columbia
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There wasn't an option to save as our venue will be supplying food. But we're not doing a cake, so save there!

• Tiffany
    Devoted October 2017 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Splurge. we love food and it is important - but our costs are quite low compared to other venues and the food is fantastic!

• Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Saving
    We are having a self-catered "summer picnic" buffet. We're having a bunch of different salads, roast beef, ham, and perogies.
    And we are having a toonie bar, so we will recouperate some of our alcohol budget... both of our families are pretty heavy drinkers so our alcohol budget is actually higher than our food budget...
  • Vanessa
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am in Manitoba. So unfortunately no where near you. Central Canada. lol.

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Where is this?!? Please tell me you are in the Lower Mainland! Haha
  • Jonelle
    Newbie August 2018 Ontario
    Jonelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Where did your food
  • Kila
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Kila ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Food for us for cocktails and dinner comes out to about 65$ a person . We also went for a open bar cocktail hour and unlimited wine and beer at dinner . We are having a cash bar or a twoonie bar for the party after dinner .
  • Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is where we splurged. We are having a buffet at $82.00 per plate. Keep in mind that we weren't charged extra for the venue so it's built into the cost of the food. We only have 30 people at our wedding so it is manageable. We also have an open bar (many of our guests don't drink) and cocktail hour snacks (included in the per plate price).

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are splurging a little on food because we really wanted great food and particular things but our caterer has been amazing and even offered up a few small extras at no cost.

• Vanessa
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are using a great local caterer who charges $15.00 plus taxes a plate and does not require a deposit. They are reliable and awesome. It is also a buffet and includes tea, coffee and dessert.

• Sara
    Devoted November 2017 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Food is a splurge for us. That is what we are mostly paying for with our venue. We went with a six course plated meal. Food is important to us.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Dinner will be roughly $32-$35 per person but we are saving on alcohol by offering free drinks during cocktail hour and then cash bar at dinner.

• Alexa
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Alexa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will be slurging on food and bar service will spend $35 per person for food and buy $2000 worth of alcohol.
  • Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We chose the venue in part because the food is reasonable but we're having a lot of variety so it feels like we're splurging.

• Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding is considered "all inclusive" it's a deal the venue offers that you get a bit of a discount if you choose one of their weddings in season. They have a scratch kitchen so they make everything on site. It's included in the venue price and the food is delcious! I guess it's considered saving?
  • Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I mean, we plan to offer tasty food, but we will have to be mindful of the limited budget we have, so I guess I'll say "save" for this too.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics