Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emilie
Featured Quebec

Are you spending more or less than 5000$ on your wedding?

Emilie, on October 25, 2016 at 09:05 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 32

Hi wonderful brides Smiley heart

Whether you are having an intimate or big wedding, whether you choose to do things yourself or have them done for you, the price you spend on your overall wedding is going to vary.

Image: Pinterest

32 Comments

Latest activity by Valerie, on November 14, 2016 at 19:48
  • Terry
    Frequent user May 2017 Quebec
    Terry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think that if usually you would give 200$ and that you go to a wedding where they ask for 50$ per adult so 100$ couple you would give only 100$ . But everyone is different.
  • Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I totally understand what you are saying! We have pushed our budget out, not by a ton, but first estimate was not realistic.
    I'm hoping to find a used dress in my style, And we are doing a lot of DIY/ buying used to save. Check out Facebook for bride buy/sell/trade groups. Its a treasure trove! and you might even be able to resell and get some money back Smiley smile
  • Stephanielarson
    Frequent user July 2017 British Columbia
    Stephanielarson ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nope, i've nerver heard of it but it seem like a smart idea to avoid going into debt just to get married. That's something I'd like to avoid for sure. Sooo here comes my next qustion....We usually give $150 - $200 cash(or a gift) as a couple for all wedings. I assume I would give less if I was paying to attend. Do guests usually give gifts and or money as well? Sorry for all the questions but this is new to me and i'm curious Smiley smile

• Stephanielarson
    Stephanielarson ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would love to spend $5000 or less but that just doesn't seem possible unless you had a free venue and could bring in your own food and alcohol. Those are the big ticket items for sure! I'm trying to spend as little as possible but were still at $16,000. Food and drinks eat up most of the budget at just under $10,000. Seems like a lot of money for one day. Any tips on how to save money are apprecaited.

• Terry
    Terry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Stephanie I'm suprised you never heard of people charging for a wedding because now days everyone is doing it. I see people charge up to 150$ depending of type of venue and what that includes. For my part I don't think 45$ for supper, wine , sweet table and a 2$ bar is exaggerated. People even told me I should charge more . But on 75 guests I have 2 that can't make it .
  • Stephanielarson
    Stephanielarson ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You're charging your guests to come to your wedding? I've never heard of anyone ever doing this? How many guests have rsvp'd after finding this out?
  • Natasha
    VIP August 2017 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are spending about 25,000 on our day, we are doing it all on our own so its definatly a challenge but it will all be worth it ! we are definatly trying to stay under 30!

• Terry
    Terry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am charging 45$ includes 4 courses meal, wine and free non alcoholic beverages for the whole night and I got a 2$ bar.
  • Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have booked a golf course for the ceremony and reception. This includes the ceremony site and set up off all the chairs for that; the hall for reception; microphone with speakers in the ceiling and flat screen TV's around the room that we can hook up to a laptop and use; tables and chairs and set up of the decor, they supply table cloths, napkins and candles in some pretty standard colours that will work for what we have planned; Catering and alcohol, of course depending on what we serve and how many people this could be higher than the minimum. I feel like if we keep things reasonable everywhere else we can stay close to the minimum here and have all the food and an open bar (they have a per person bar package) and most of the decor included in this amount.

• Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are definitely above our original budget. Things add up very quickly! we are over 20g but under 25g

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Terry Smiley heart I think you're bringing up an interesting idea ! How much are you charging your guests? What will they be paying for?

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you got a great deal Ashley!! Smiley smile Are your guests paying for their flight and hotel room? Were your wedding costs and all-inclusive vacation part of a destination wedding package? Smiley smile

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow! That is so generous from that family member to do that Jenn! Smiley heart They must be a close relative! What kind of venue did you book for the reception? How does it look like?

I'm so glad you already booked most things for your wedding!! It must be such a relief! Who is bringing what for the pot luck? Will every guest bring a little something? Smiley smile

You should comment Cheryl's discussion, she was wondering about having a potluck for her wedding: Potluck?

What type of food will you have? Are you telling your guests what they should bring?

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Arlene Smiley heart I'm glad you liked Cheryl's idea, you should have a look at her discussion with her ideas on keeping a low budget. You'll see, she's amazing! Smiley smile

Cheryl: my low-cost wedding

How are you going about your budget? Will you also have some DIYs? Smiley smile

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow! It must be a wonderful venue Laura! Smiley love What kind of venue did you book? What does it include?

• A
    Frequent user April 2017 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are at about $10000 right now. My guess would be closer to $12000. But our is a destination and that includes our all inclusive vacation for our family of 5 plus our actual wedding costs and a few days after for our honeymoon.
  • J
    Beginner July 2017 Ontario
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are paying for our own wedding no credit. However a family member has paid for my hall for reception. I have about 80 people invited and surprisingly so far I am way under budget with all Most of the big things already paid for (DJ, photographer, hall, ceremony decor, etc) however I am cheating and we are doing a pot luck dinner. My family is huge on potluck and both of my sisters have done it. I find the food actually better than buying a catering company and on top of that we've had so many left overs it was donated to the men's shelter. Smiley smile
  • Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I just booked my venue and it has a $12,000 minimum...I am going to be A LOT over $5,000.

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Jenn Smiley heart

I know what you mean, things can add up so fast!! Smiley surprise You should have a look at these discussions in the community, I think you'll find them helpful:

Calling all budget minded brides!

How are you paying for your wedding?

There are many different ways you can save up and other brides definitely have great advice! Let us know if we can help!

I also made this test, I think you'll like it! It's quite fun Smiley laugh

Tell me how's your wedding and I'll tell you how much it will cost
    Have you been staying under budget so far?

• A
    Newbie March 2017 Manitoba
    Arlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That was so cool!
  • Cheryl
    Expert December 2017 British Columbia
    Cheryl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have a lot of DIY planned and low costing venues, plus our photographers are my friends!
  • J
    Beginner July 2017 Ontario
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hoping to spend under $5,000 but things add up pretty quickly
  • Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Arlene Smiley heart Welcome to the community!!

It's nice to meet you!! Smiley smile How are your preparations going!

I think Cheryl meant that she will be spending under less than 2000$. It all depends on how big or small you want your wedding. What about you? Will you spend more or less than 5000$?

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's great Lisa! Smiley heart Are you having a wedding just two of you? Or will you also have a few guests coming as well? Smiley smile

• A
    Newbie March 2017 Manitoba
    Arlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    How are you going to do that?
  • Terry
    Terry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Since we have a all inclusive venue and I am charging an amount to my guests it is not that bad. I also made a lot of stuff myself and got a few gifts too. So I think for my 65-70 guests about ****$
  • Cheryl
    Expert December 2017 British Columbia
    Cheryl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely less than that, so far around $2000 planned to be spent
  • L
    Beginner November 2016 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Less, but surprising how quickly things can add up even with just the 2 of us.
  • Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are spending more- our initial budget was 10,000, but my parents have offered to contribute and we have elected to still spend our budget, and use their contribution to add things we otherwise would have passed on.

• Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am spending more than $5,000 as it looks I will be spending at the most $11,000 - $12,000.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics