Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Melissa
VIP June 2017 Ontario

Calling all budget minded brides!

Melissa, on October 7, 2016 at 13:09 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 24

Hey all, I've noticed a few people mentioning concerns that I myself have had about my wedding budget, and how to make it all work out. I thought it might be nice to have a discussion board where we can share cash saving ideas.

I am trying to keep costs lower by growing and arranging my flowers, making my cake (I'm an amatuer baker and have done weddings before), making edible favours and pretty much anything else I can think of. What are some of your money saving tips?

24 Comments

Latest activity by Melinda, on December 7, 2016 at 20:01
  • Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For sure!

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Great shopping Smiley laugh I have neglected ebay in my searches- I'll have to look

I like the seed hearts- they are sweet and pretty

• Jknbhjbb
    Frequent user July 2017 Ontario
    Jknbhjbb ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have purchased a lot of items off ebay. Bouquets, ring boy pillow, veil. The best buy was the veil by far - what would have cost close to $1000 in store I paid $25.00 for. It's super long with lace trim.

The bouquets are dried flowers. I got 10 of them for $90. And the ring boy pillow is ivory with lace for $5.00.

I'm also considering order these recycled paper hearts with flower seeds in them.

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm very happy with what my FH and i have booked - but I do wish we had considered the brunch option more....it's different and has so many variations. So much creative juice gets flowing!
    A good deal and breakfast? Wins all around Smiley smile

I think you are the first bride I've meet here doing a brunch - I would be interested to hear details as you plan and see pictures. Maybe do a post sometime?
  • Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We got our venue for about the quarter of the price because we are getting married on a Sunday morning. I can definitely see how many people would not want that, but for us it was no compromise because it's exactly what we want (we love breakfast) and super budget-friendly too.

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

LOL- I'm gonna try! If I fail you will see the meltdown post in May!

Check out Bride/ wedding buy and sell groups on facebook- my new favourite thing! You are lucky to have a "hopefully" helpful connection! and sharing costs with friends is great...my friends and I should have planned our weddings closer together.

• Tiffany
    Frequent user September 2017 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's amazing that you are growing your own flowers!!!

For me, I will try and DIY as much as I can, use e-invites instead of paper, ETSY, and pinterest I'm also going to incorporate more greenery (leaves such as ferns, palm) or baby's breath to my bouquet and centrepieces (I'm not a HUGE fan of flowers anyways). I'm also asking past brides for any decor they may have left over or sharing the cost of some items with my friends who will get married after me.

So far I am on budget..but I would say I'm only 40% along the way. I haven't looked into flowers/greenery as much yet.. but my parents have a friend who is an event planner that also owns a flowershop so I'm hoping she will help me get grennery wholesale and budget decorate my wedding Smiley tongue

• Natasha
    VIP August 2017 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am super frugal ... being a single mom for so many years it just comes naturally to me, so I have shopped around alot and got quotes from a variety of places before I settled on my vendors, I also am doing some of my own diy projects instead of renting these items from my florist/decor vendor ... it has made that bill half of what it should be and I can turn around and resell my handmade items to other brides later! I also have found Etsy to be a great friend to me also when it came to purchasing items like my flower girls dress and my ring bearers attire !! I also have used my firends that have connections like my friend who is my hairdresser is doing my wedding hair and all my trials for less than half of what i would normally pay at a regular salon! my frugal side has definatly come out !!

• Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yikes! It's so exhausting!!! And I'm an accountant and love numbers! Lol Eventhough Pinterest can be evil they have some great budget saving tips. We have a group of about 225 so I've had to cost save in other areas because we are heavily focusing on entertainment and food.One great tip I found was to save on video and photography. Go to local colleges and post on their community boards that you are looking for someone to photograph or video your wedding. Film and photo students today are modern, techy and can bring some fresh interesting ideas and will do it for much less. Also I've found some great , DIY invites, menu cards etc. I've created a free wedding website, and emailing all my save the dates and invites. I'm so traditional and surprised myself that I went this digital route but I'm loving it! Hope this helps Smiley smile
  • Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It does feel like a balancing act, doesn't it?

• Jennalyn
    Frequent user February 2017 Ontario
    Jennalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have done tons and tons of research on every aspect of the wedding planning trying to find the best option for our budget, and our dream. We have made some sacrafices in what our wants were in order to be able to splurge on our needs. There has been alot of negotiating and compromising.

• Leah & Kevin
    Beginner October 2016 British Columbia
    Leah & Kevin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having an intimate wedding approx 50-60 people.

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That makes lots of sense! I think it will leave you with a lot of nice memories and warm fuzzy feelings because people you know helped put it together!

You are right about the last point- everything is second to the main purpose of the day Smiley heart It is important not to lsoe sight of that and get wrapped up in all of the wedding craziness

• Leah & Kevin
    Leah & Kevin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Melissa
    No I have trust in my team we met and discussed everything and then I let go of the control. All the stuff being put together/ set up is on our wedding day is with my coordinator. And I hired a professional photographer because the photos are super important more so than how the treats are layer out and seating. If you know what I mean Have fun planning- nothing is more important except you and your fiancé saying I do
  • Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm of course taking the day before the wedding off to dot hsoe extra perparations- but I'm quite strong with baking, and I know I would never be happy with someone else's work....I've never been impressed by a bakery cake. and I want to make sure I LOVE my cake, because I like sweets!

I'm not really getting a lot of help, my mom is helping with flowers and my MIL will be helping negotiate hotel rates for the guests for the night, as she has some connections and influence there. I am sure if we asked for more help out families would, but I much prefer to handle the planning myself.

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Has booking with friends and family caused any tension? That would be my biggest concern hiring someone I care about to do wedding work for me.

It does sound like you have a strong team on your side~!

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Leah Smiley heart

I think that's a wonderful idea to have everyone help you out! It's definitely a great way to have everyone involved and be a part of your wedding in more than one way. Smiley smile

How many people will attend your wedding?

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Melissa Smiley heart

I love that you started this discussion! It's such a great way to share tips and advice while also helping each other stay within budget!! I really like your tips! It's truly impressive that you'll make both of your cake and flowers yourself!

I also really like Leah's idea of getting help from everyone around you! These are definitely very precious resources! Smiley smile

Besides your mom helping with your flowers, is your family also helping you in your wedding preparations?

• Nelly
    Expert September 2017 Ontario
    Nelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Booking vendors that provide more than one service. For instance our florist is also doing our linens and our decor, she gave us a discount and didn't charge a set up fee. The person we used for our cake and cupcakes is delivering and setting up for free and she gave us a discount of 15. For the bridal party, fathers and grandfathers they are going to buy suits instead of renting because in the long run it will be cheaper. Our photographer and videographer is from the same company and we are getting 4cds and 4wedding albums for our grandparents at no extra charge.
  • Leah & Kevin
    Leah & Kevin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My saving tip is gather all your family and friends and make a list of their talents, ask for their help if they say Yes Smiley smile you pay for the supplies and they offer their labour as your wedding gift whch eqauls a super awesome wedding memory and gifts from all your talented friends and family.

I have a baker friend making our wedding cake, a chocolatier making our wedding favours, a party planner sourcing out boxes for wedding favours, a friend lent me crystal vases and sourced out 20 more glass ones for me to borrow, a crafty friend to help assemble flowers and favours, my aunt making by bouquet, another aunt baking treats for our sweets table and a seamstress friend who came ot my dress fitting.

All of this talented love and help is keeping our cost down and our memory love bank account up!

I hired a coordinator who is keeping track of all my "vendors" and will keep us all on time and hired a professional photographer. Doing this will allow our family and friends to relax and be guests on the day of our wedding. A bonus they'll enjoy seeing all their contributions being enjoyed and or devoured by everyone.

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
  • Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That would be beautiful to be able to plant your wedding flowers in your own garden!

And I totally agree... add the word "wedding" to something and they get to chage double the price. Just crazy!

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Whoa! I'll have to hit some shows to find a hair stylist!

My mom has a green thumb, and we are trying really hard not to hurt ourselves with debt for the wedding. I have a lot of very strong feeling about the wedding industry- love weddings, hate the senseless spending!

I'm going to start the flowers indoors, and then transfer them to my mom's garden in the spring. If it doens't work that I'm actually quite happy arranging some wholesale flowers or visiting a field to gather some. It is my hope that when we buy a home I will be able to take roots from my wedding flowers for my own garden Smiley smile

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow, growing your own flowers?! That's some serious commitment!

My tip is hold out for bridal/wedding shows to book what you can. Most vendors offer a great discounts if you book them at the show or because you saw them there! (I got my hair/makeup trial half price, plus tons of other discounts like 20% off my cake and free grooms tux rental (with 4 groomsmen rentals), etc)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics