Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Who are you taking dress shopping with you?

Lynnie, on August 22, 2017 at 11:05 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 21

Will you be going solo? With a friend? Your mom? All your bridesmaids and all your family members?

Tell us your plan, your pros and cons, and who you decided to bring and why!! Smiley heart

Photo from The Gown

Photo from The Gown

Can't decide who to bring? Ask us below and check out Everything You Need to Know About Wedding Dress Shopping , 7 Wedding Dress Shopping Don'ts , and 25 Thoughts Every Bride-to-Be Has While Shopping for Her Wedding Dress !

21 Comments

Latest activity by Elizabeth, on February 9, 2018 at 13:03
  • Elizabeth
    Frequent user June 2018 New Brunswick
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I just took my mom, my sister (and moh) and my future mother in law! I wanted to keep my shopping party small for less opinions lol!

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You know I watch say yes to the dress all the damn time, but when I got engaged, I didn't even go dress shopping in an actual store. I and I do not regret it one little bit.

Saw a dress I loved on BHLDN. I knew that if I did go shopping that I would just compare everything to it, and that there was no way I could commit to a dress without ever trying that one on. So I ordered it. And its the only dress I ever tried on and it was pure and total magic.

I just showed it to my parents last weekend and I'm even more excited about it now knowing how much they love it.

This way of doing things is not everybody's cup of tea, but I just know myself and my style, and I know what I feel good wearing. Your confidence in the dress you love is what makes the dress beautiful.

SAPPY ENDING! Sorry this was a long post Smiley tongue

• Kristine
    Frequent user October 2017 Ontario
    Kristine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I just went with my mom - we had a great time!

I didn't want the added pressure and opinions of having a large group with me.

Plus my mom was buying my dress/accessories so I wanted to make it a fun day for the two of us!

• Taylor
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

First time I went with my mom, grandma, MOH, her mom and my aunt. Second day my MOH couldn't make it so I brought my sister in law too

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went with my mom, fiance's mom, MOH, one bridesmaid (the other one lives in ON).

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ll be taking my mom and sister to do the actual shopping, then invite my MIL and SIL for the fittings.
  • Mzheng
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Mzheng ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I decided to only take my sister and best friend with me. They are my co-MOHs and of all the people I know, will give me a truly honest opinion without being too harsh. I also have a really big family with lots of close female relatives and I didn't want to have too many people with me (spoils the big day reveal!).

• Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went with my bridal party on seperate occasions! Called my mom and future mother in law and sent them pictures as my dress was on sale! Wanted to bring my mom but she is in a different province! And I was going to bring my mother in law but didn't have time to!
  • Samantha
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've been browsing local wedding stores by myself for a few weeks, but my best friend since I was 4 is taking me to a pop up wedding dress shop next weekend, so her and I will be spending the day together doing that....if I don't find anything that day, then a couple more of my friends, my step mom, step sisters, and my mom will be joining me. Smiley smile

I'm super self conscious, so I've appreciated my alone time going, and having the one on one next week with someone I trust will really help without feeling overwhelmed.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I might be going by myself, which is almost better for me. I live far from my hometown (across the Country!), so flying out my mom and/or friends is just ridiculous. I also don't like putting pressure on something like that, finding THE dress. What if I don't find anything? Then it'll be a wasted trip.

• Chanelle
    Frequent user September 2019 British Columbia
    Chanelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There's a Hayley Paige trunk show which is super rare in my area next weekend. I opted to only invite my two MOH's - I trust both of their opinions and styles and they both fully understand my vision for the day and what dress will go with that.

However - I know I can't actually afford one of these fancy designer ones, one of the reasons why I kept it small.

I know that my mom, MIL, aunt, other bridesmaids etc. definitely want to be a part of dress shopping, so I'm thinking I will have to go another time a few months down the road with the whole troupe. I don't know how I feel about it, but for a variety of reasons I do want them to feel like they are a part of the experience.

• Ashley
    Frequent user September 2018 Quebec
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My mom and my dad. My dad is a very honest person, and I want someone that will tell me the truth about how the dress makes me look

• Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm going dress shopping next week! Both my parents are coming with me and maybe my MOH if she isn't working.
  • Erin
    Expert September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I brought my mom, my MIL, my 6 bridesmaids, 2 of my aunts and one of my cousins. There were 12 of us in the shop lol! It was crazy but so fun, and since we went on a random week night, we were the only group in the shop, which was fun. The store had set up chairs for all of the ladies and little "love it, leave it" signs for them to hold up, which was awesome. One of my bridesmaids, who is FH's 10 year old niece loved holding up the sign and telling us which dresses she liked!

• Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My Wedding party came, we did brunch then bridesmaid dress shopping, then mine found a beautiful dress, then we all went for drinks and dinner. It was a very fun day.

Who are you taking dress shopping with you? - 1

Who are you taking dress shopping with you? - 2

Who are you taking dress shopping with you? - 3

Who are you taking dress shopping with you? - 4
  • Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I want to take just my dad, my mom, and my sister (who is my MOH). My mom doesn't really want to come, or so she says (she says she'd rather pull her hair out), but I think she'd come if I told her I wanted her there.
    But a lot of people from my FH's side seem to think that they're already coming. My MIL and SIL and my FH's aunt... even my moms best friend seem to expect to be there...
    I don't want that many people there. I want to have that special moment with my family. And honestly, I want the dress to be a surprise to almost everyone, not just my FH.
    It's just so infuriating that everyone seems to think that they automatically get to come. And it's difficult cause I'm not sure on how to tell them that I plan on finding my dress and I don't plan on them being there to see it.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I took my mum, FMIL, and my godmother. They all have very different traits that would work well together for the dress shopping. I had a lot of fun with them and I only had to go to one store which was great.

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went by myself. Actually, I wasn't looking for a dress but just clothes shopping and I stumbled upon a beautiful off white lace dress, 3/4 length with one side of the hemline lower than the other. The price was right and I liked the way it fit.

• Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My dress shopping came as a surprise and was spontaneous. I was visiting back home and my mom and sister dragged me out shopping with them. I didn't want to go but I ended up finding the perfect dress! I would have loved to have had my MOHs there with me too and my MIL but I still had fun with my mom and sister
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went with a good friend for my first store. The second store I took my mom and another good friend. After that experience, the third store I went to on my own and found my dress. It was so much less stress, and way faster, to not have to come out and show dresses I just did not "feel".
  • Tiffany
    Devoted October 2017 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I took my mom, MIL and sister!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics