Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Wedding Registry - Traditional or Modern?

Lynnie, on April 9, 2018 at 11:11 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 25

Last question!! What kind of wedding registry do you have?

Are you sticking with a traditional physical registry of boxed gifts like kitchen gadgets and china? Or are you taking the more modern approach with a honeymoon or cash registry?

Traditional?Wedding Registry - Traditional or Modern? 1

Photo from Beach Grove Golf Club in Delta, BC

Or Modern?Wedding Registry - Traditional or Modern? 2

Thanks for sharing all about your traditional and modern wedding choices!!

If you're just jumping in now, make sure to start from the beginning and answer all of our questions: Traditional or Modern?

If you want to answer more posts like this one, check out: 10 things you don't want to forget about your ceremony , How long before the wedding did you... Part 2!! , and Keep or Skip?

25 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on August 9, 2018 at 00:02
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No registry as it was monetary gifts as mentioned on the invitation.

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Traditional I guess, our entire registry is online but it is very small as we have been living together for a while already and don't need a lot.

• Jennifer
    Frequent user February 2024 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No registry, modern it is. We live in Toronto and the cost of weddings are astronomical! Every wedding we've been to in the last 8 years has been cash only so we will be doing the same. It's the only way to make the day work.
  • Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Both. We have a registry for guests that don't wish to give cash but we are encouraging cash gifts to help with the down payment on our next house.

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No registry...sooo Modern...?
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will probably end up doing a mix we need a few things but we also have some house renovations we'd like to do.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Traditional for the Bridal Shower, Modern for the Wedding.

We would like a few upgrades/replacement items for the house, but don't really need anything. So our wedding registry is for our honeymoon.

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Traditional! We registered for physical gifts - lots of home and kitchen stuff!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did a mix of both. We knew that some of the older generation would want to buy physical gifts so we had a small registry and then everyone else pretty much gave cash.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Kind of both?

We're going to have a card box at our reception and a small registry for those OOT guests who can't make it.

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing both, prefer money but still set up a small gift registry.

• Sarah
    Frequent user December 2018 Alberta
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will be doing a gift registry I would like to just do the money our honeymoon thing but a lot of my family doesn't like giving money or gift cards so we're just going to do a gift registry make everyone happy
  • Ashley
    Frequent user October 2021 Manitoba
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This has been a debate as some find it tacky to ask for money for a shower so we will most likely sticking with traditional maybe a mixture.
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did both but have been having issues with our actual gift registry so we decided to delete it

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will be doing the traditional registry. We would like to upgrade things in the house and don't have a lot still as well.

• Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Modern - we don’t have a registry of any kind.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Modern! We live so far away and have everything we need so gifts are not an option. Honeymoon fund is what we are going with.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Traditional. We are combining two households of stuff so we thought we’d just register for some new stuff. Plus, a lot of my family still likes giving gifts so we figured this would help them know what to get us

• Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Traditional. We made a registry at Bed Bath and Beyond. It’s not super large because we already have a lot of what we need, so we’re hoping people will give us monetary gifts because we’re young and just starting out.
  • Cathrine
    Devoted April 2018 Ontario
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did a registry with some physical items on it but we also included an option to make a charitable donation to a vegan farm sanctuary. We've only had the bridal shower so far which was mostly physical gift (handmade mostly with a few items from the registry) and one of my cousins did a donation which was awesome.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Modern; We'll have a wishing well for gifts of money for a down payment on a house.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A mix of both! We have a honeymoon/house fund set up and will have some items available for purchase for guests who think it's "impersonal" to give us money.

• Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are not doing a registry so I guess it’s more of a cash registry? Also my mom does not think it’s appropriate to register for gifts and my fiancé didn’t like the idea as well. Doesn’t bother me we live together and have what we need anyways.
  • Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did pretty much what Breanne described, one large registry enough for people to choose for bridal shower and wedding id they chose to.

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are not doing a large registry but trying to put on enough for the bridal shower and hopefully there will things left over for the wedding (although cash would be nice I wanted there to be options for those who would prefer to bring a gift - being from a small town, it is likely that some people don't believe in or are unable to give monetary gifts). I know money is great but we're not expecting it - we invited the amount of people we could afford not expecting them to pay for the wedding and hey, if we get some monetary gifts back that would be lovely and will go towards the honeymoon (hopefully this doesn't offend anyone, I in no way mean that to sound preachy, just what we're going with).

We are both in our mid 30s and have lived together for 4 years so we technically have all the "stuff" we need. When putting together the registry I looked at it as updating and upgrading - so the list is mostly comprised of small appliances, new dishes, bath sets etc. that we already have but could use a newer one or a better model. So pretty traditional - I think the most modern thing on there is an instant pot.

Honestly, I love the fact that my parents have been married for 38 years and still have, and use, some of their wedding presents (seriously - their microwave is 38 years old!). While money is great I want some things in our house, we can look at years down the road that remind us of our guests and special day.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics