Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tori
Top October 2019 Manitoba

Wedding Dates Veto'd?

Tori, on April 22, 2019 at 15:56

Posted in Before the wedding 68

Hello wonderful wedding wire community! As the time to send out our first wave of invitations is coming around, we are still getting quite a few people asking us why we chose the date we chose (October 5th 2019 - engaged since December 30th 2017)! For me and my FH we had to go through a process of...

Hello wonderful wedding wire community!

As the time to send out our first wave of invitations is coming around, we are still getting quite a few people asking us why we chose the date we chose (October 5th 2019 - engaged since December 30th 2017)!

For me and my FH we had to go through a process of elimination. So first we decided it would have to be in 2019 as we were looking to buy a house in 2018. Then we were on to seasons. He veto'd Winter, and I veto'd Summer (he doesn't like the winter look, I don't want to sweat buckets at my wedding). Out of the 2 season left, Spring is more unreliable so we decided on Autumn Smiley smile (Example, just last a week or two ago it was snowing.... but prior to that it was like 15 outside!!!) Any way, then it was a matter of avoiding holidays and other functions and we ended up on our date Smiley laugh

cfb_45555.jpg

My big question for everybody is:

Where there any dates that either you or your Fiancé(e) veto'd? And why?

If not, then how in the world did you both agree?

68 Comments

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We totally went through the process of elimination too with our wedding date!

First we decided on a season (summer), then we decided we wanted a long weekend (FH has lots of OOT guests), then we looked at when we could feasibly have this wedding. It was either going to be Canada Day weekend or the August long weekend, so the August long weekend won for a variety of reasons.

We're still conflicting with 2 birthdays, countless wedding anniversaries, and FH didn't want an August wedding since his parents AND his sister all had their weddings in August. Ah well.

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That has got to be the one thing I wish I would have waited for or done sooner... I proposed on Dec. 30th - which is nowhere near our dating anniversary of March 5th or our wedding date of October 5th :/

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know woo hoo!! thanks

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did a similar process of elimination. We got engaged October 26, 2017 and debated between 2018 and 2019 at the start. Both our families had a lot going on in 2018 so we picked 2019 as there was more time to save/plan from a distance.

As for seasons, we wanted to go on our honeymoon right away and avoid most of hurricane season, since we wanted to go cruising in the Caribbean. So spring/summer was out. We didn't want to do a winter wedding so we went with the fall season.

We picked October since it's the month we started dating/got engaged so we continued the trend. Our dating anniversary and engagement anniversary are 2 weeks apart so we picked the Saturday in between, which is October 19, 2019 - which looks cool! Smiley sexy

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh my gosh!! That means you're almost at your 1 year count down mark!!! Yay!!

And hey, I think the 02, 2020 looks cooler anyway Smiley tongue

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Picking the date was all my FH, he said he really wanted a spring wedding and it didn't really matter to me. When we went to our venue of choice our original date of April 25, 2020 was unavailable so May 02, 2020 it is.

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am so on the same page about the long weekend thing - like, ya it makes it easier for out of town guests to come, but like... it's a long weekend and most people go camping at their camp site where it's already been paid for since spring...

AWWWWWWWEEE!!! I just got chills!! That is so perfect that it happens to be the same weekend you met!! I wanted to have the same thing where we got married the same time we met/ started dating but unfortunately that is end of February/ early March Smiley sad

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh my gosh!! Ask and I shall receive!!!

They are so adorable!! Will either of them be walking down the aisle or at the wedding?

I've got my one dog Karma - she's a husky mix, and then our cat Avocato - he's... a cat? lol

Wedding Dates Veto'd? 1

Both are 10 months old Smiley smile

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

He has both grandparents on his mom's side left and I don't have any and haven't in years. haha ill have to check out that youtube! and fingers crossed for when you guys are trying Smiley smile

• Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I veto'd winter not my jam, and spring for the reasons you mentioned.

I wanted a summer wedding, but it became hard. Most of our friends play a lot of competitive softball. So we had to dodge every weekend we knew was a major tournament. Provincials, Nationals, the charity one with the dance that no one would want to miss. Our league finals weekend etc.. I also did not want to do a long weekend as I hate making people skip camping trips and etc... Also a few family members birthdays. We finally settled on August. Out of the dates that worked for us, our venue only had one left... Funny enough it is the weekend that we met! It was too perfect for us and we snatched it up right away.

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Happy to oblige! Meet Wally, our Yorkie cross and Luna, our Mini Australian Shepherd

Wedding Dates Veto'd? 2

Wedding Dates Veto'd? 3

Wedding Dates Veto'd? 4
  • Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah that's a lot of travel for out of town guests! Most of mine are within an hour or less of the venue, so it worked out for us. Plus if they don't make the ceremony, there would still be enough time to get to the reception!

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I completely get you on the wanting kids sooner rather than later! I've got one grandparent left and he has two, he never met the 3 in my family who have passed and I never met the 2 in his that passed so we really want to get a move on it so that they can meet their great-grandkids!

Sending all the baby dust your way for when you guys start trying!! (I'm kind of obsessed with watching TTC youtubers rn... it's a problem...)

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is so sweet of you to make it work to have your friend be there with you on your wedding! And too funny 😂😂

Can't wait to see pics of the wedding!! Please tell me you will be making a post or creating a "Real Wedding" album!?

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lol ya, I guess it's a good thing we didn't meet sooner Smiley tongue

And yes!! Any other time and who knows if we would have liked each other, started dating, got engaged, bought a house, adopted a dog and cat!

But of course, now that you have mentioned you have at least one dog.... I'm going to need pics!!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had originally decided on 2020 but it would have been over two years since engaged and over 5 since been together. We moved it to 2019 as we want kids sooner than later and his grandparents are older. We didn't want anything in July or August as too hot! I'm not good with heat lol. We also were in a wedding party in July. We thought about June/May but it was very busy month in May for me and in June the venue we wanted was booked. Then we decided September would be great as little cooler and because all of our events are indoors it would be fine. We picked the second weekend as most people we know have kids and the first week back to school is week before- they would be exhausted haha, and the other weekends didn't work as other weddings to go to. So it was the 14th!

• Jenn
    Frequent user April 2019 Saskatchewan
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My best friend has been living in Australia for the past 4 years. When we got engaged, I called her immediately and got her list of "able to fly home dates," which roughly included the end of January, mid-April, and Canada Day. From there, we picked April, because we both love Easter and the springtime. It wasn't until after we had selected the date that we realized it was 4-20.... So, the date written out in words it was! We have agreed that our anniversary will be Easter going forward, as opposed to on the exact date. Smiley smile
  • Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We met when I was 17, but it’s definitely worth the wait! life works in such funny ways, it’s like each little piece of your life creates a path to the person you’re meant to be with. i’m with your fiancé, i don’t think i would risk meeting him sooner, cause then we might not be where we are now, with the dogs we have and the life we have!
  • Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh my gosh!! That is so perfect!!! I guess another way for me to try and make sense of my date of 10/05/19 is that we dated for 10 months? Idk, it's times like this where I wish we had that whole 10 years together thing - but that would mean the earliest we would be getting married is when I'm 28 years old (had I met him when I was 18)... it's like a movie that about time travel (Project Almanac) that my FH quotes a lot - in the movie the girl says she would go back in time just so she can meet the boy sooner but my FH always tells me he wouldn't Smiley tongue (met when I was 19 and he was just turning 27)

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ugh, that didn't even cross my mind (the whole 10-4)!! Not like I could have done the Friday wedding though, lots of out of town people driving over 5 hours to get here and another 45 outside the city.
  • Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I completely agree about August! There is like an unwritten rule that August Long weekend has to have rain!! (That and Mothers day weekend...)

Ya, as much as winter is my favourite season, to get married in possibly -40 plus the windchill would not be ideal...

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We started dating in 2010, so getting married in 2020 is just so even and satisfying!
  • Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ahhhh school... I hate it, but I love it.... My school is in the evenings after work so even for my wedding I will be in school and won't be able to honey moon right away.

I like the 06/06/2020 too - really wish we weren't getting married in 2019 as the year just doesn't sound cool, but such is life! Only thing I can relate it to is that I met my FH when I was 19 years old? a bit grasping at straws I suppose...

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ya, that's the one hard part about us choosing a date in October, on top of it being in the school year, we aren't having kids at the wedding so parents have to find somewhere to put their little ones... But for my family being mostly farmers we had to veto Summer for well.. ya the sweating was not a pro, but also because it's in the middle of farming!

I love when it works out like that, like that one Saturday must have felt like "it was meant to be"! right?

Do you still celebrate your dating anniversary? I mean, I guess you'll find out real soon with your 1 year wedding anniversary approaching so soon!

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Right? For us it was the same deal for September, Sept. Long = no-go, school starts = no-go, September 14th would include a visit from Aunt Flo = no-go, the 21st is one of my BM's brothers wedding = no-go, which leaves September with the 28th as the only option.

Then for October we didn't want to interrupt Thanksgiving, or my Sister/MOH's birthday the weekend following, and then before you know it the weekend following would be all the Halloween parties!

We really only had 2 options in the end, Sept. 28th or October 5th. Our dating anniversary is March 5th so it was an easy decision after that! Smiley tongue

I'm hoping we get okay weather, last year was a bit chilly so perhaps this year will be warm!

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Awww, I love the birthday cards at the tables!

I've decided to share the love with my FH's cousin (who I happened to work with prior to meeting him, but who I did not meet him through... it's crazy how things happen) because her wedding is also on the 5th of October - just obviously like 6 or so years ago.

I'm thinking of getting them a cupcake or something Smiley smile

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Right? We had the option of maybe 6 weekends for the fall time but as soon as we found the venue we were told that we can have it for the weekend so that is literally the only reason we chose a Saturday instead of a Friday Smiley tongue

That and oh my gosh, I love that October is the beginning of most of the off season pricing! lol

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

See, that would have been helpful but with the venue we went with - we booked them when all they had were blueprints and a field!! lol, their first wedding season was just last years so at the time there was only 1 weekend booked for the whole 2019 year. I mean, now they are booked for 2019 and 2020 only had 2 dates that I know of left, but we didn't have that (not sure if it was a good thing or a bad thing though).

I completely get the impatient part - I have never wanted to elope more in my life than after I hit the 1 year mark for being engaged!!! Like, let's do this already!!

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were super open to dates! FH doesn’t like wearing suits to begin with. So if it was in the summer he would hate his life lol! So summer was out.
    I like spring, but like you said it’s so unpredictable! Winter is not my favourite lol. So fall it was. I love the colours of fall so it was easy to come up with a theme and colour scheme.
    As for date, we were open to anything between the beginning of September and the end of October. We then went to the venue to see what they had open. Had to skip my birthday weekend in September so it only left us with the last weekend in September or the first in October. So October 4th it was. Plus if you look at it written out in numbers our date says 10-4 lol. I thought that was funny
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wanted summer, July specifically because August can be more rainy, FHs birthday is in June so didn’t want to be married too close to that date and I’ve always pictured getting married in July.

Winter is too cold and is my least favourite season and I find spring and fall too unreliable (and cold for me).

so every other date was veto’d because of those reasons 😂
  • Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly, i chose the date and just got the ok from my fiancé afterward hahahah he didn’t really care. we knew it had to be either june, july or august because of my school schedule as a university student, and my FH’s schedule as a CPA. from there we decided August would be too busy before me starting my 4th and final year of university with a wedding and honeymoon, so we were down to june and july. july seemed too hot, so we chose june! from there, i picked the 6th, because 06/06/2020 had a nice ring to it
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wanted summer because it was more convenient for out of town guests to travel. Our first choice was July, but we were open to August as well. We fell in love with a venue and they had 1 Saturday left! So, we booked it. And, it happened to be two days before our dating anniversary!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics