Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tori
Top October 2019 Manitoba

Wedding Dates Veto'd?

Tori, on April 22, 2019 at 15:56 Posted in Before the wedding 0 68

Hello wonderful wedding wire community!

As the time to send out our first wave of invitations is coming around, we are still getting quite a few people asking us why we chose the date we chose (October 5th 2019 - engaged since December 30th 2017)!

For me and my FH we had to go through a process of elimination. So first we decided it would have to be in 2019 as we were looking to buy a house in 2018. Then we were on to seasons. He veto'd Winter, and I veto'd Summer (he doesn't like the winter look, I don't want to sweat buckets at my wedding). Out of the 2 season left, Spring is more unreliable so we decided on Autumn Smiley smile (Example, just last a week or two ago it was snowing.... but prior to that it was like 15 outside!!!) Any way, then it was a matter of avoiding holidays and other functions and we ended up on our date Smiley laugh

Wedding Dates Veto'd? 1

My big question for everybody is:

Where there any dates that either you or your Fiancé(e) veto'd? And why?

If not, then how in the world did you both agree?

68 Comments

Latest activity by Tori, on May 15, 2019 at 12:03
  • Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's a bummer about the anniversary date - but I completely get where you're coming from about the discount for having an October wedding! Same over here! We ended up getting our venue for the weekend (Friday - Sunday morning) for the price of a Saturday evening wedding!! I don't even want to know how much it should have cost us seeing as how we are paying roughly $5,000 just for the venue.

• Alyssa
    Curious October 2021 Ontario
    Alyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Started dating Sept 5 2013

Engaged Feb 1 2019

Our date October 17 2020.

We knew we wanted a fall wedding and my FH pointed out to me that Sept 5 landed on a Saturday in 2020. So we thought that would be perfect. However, a really close friend of mine is getting married on the Friday September 4th 2020, we would really love to go to hers and would want her to come to ours so we decided to go with a different date.

We met with our venue and they gave us a list of available Saturdays in Fall 2020. We then became very interested in September 12 2020 because #12 was always my favourite number and jersey number in all my sports. BUT as we were going through the packages and price options, the 2nd week of October was a lot cheaper because it went from peak season to a low season. So we decided to go with October 17, 2020 (saved us $6,000 that can be used for anything else)

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I approve of August birthdays Smiley tongue (August 9th is mine)

As is we ended up on the same wedding date as one of his cousins but who cares, we'll bring out a cupcake for them - you can't win 'em all right?

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Totally get the whole family not wanting you to rush into it - I was 20 when I got engaged and he was 27 so my family was not 100% on board.

I love that it was a happy coincidence or just like you knew in the back of your head that it meant something Smiley smile

• Emily
    Frequent user August 2019 New Brunswick
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly I picked the date. I had always wanted a fall wedding but due to the venue WE wanted couldn't have it to late In the year.

my next pick was a summer wedding, the boys are not wear tux and my dress is light and flowey. so I had it between august 3rd weekend and august 24th.

- due to too many family birthdays being around the 24th we went with the 3rd Smiley smile yes its a long weekend.

• Kirsten
    Frequent user October 2025 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

First, it was the year, We got engaged at 19 and I was just starting university so we agreed that we needed lots of time to save, along with we got a lot of discouraging responses from select family members so we agreed on 2021 (not overly thrilled with the wait but I want my fairytale wedding). The season we both Veto'd summer because I hate being too hot, and we have too many birthdays in the summer we wouldn't be able to win. I veto'd winter because I like the look of strapless and wanted an outdoor ceremony. Leaving spring and fall. Do to me loving the colours and wanting to catch the leaves before snowfall that left the end of September to beginning of October. So we just picked October. The date we kinda looked at the dates in our timeframe, along with we wanted to do it during the week to save money. Oddly enough the 14th called out to me couldn't figure out why. Found out it was the day we adopted our cat together, so it had meaning.

Date October 14,2021

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Excited but also terrified. I'm watching it snow while finishing up details for my spring wedding.. we want an outdoor ceremony but not in this temperature!

• Stephanie
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The venue is air conditioned, except for the ceremony that will be outside, so we were OK with summer. Originally we were thinking June, too be cooler than July, but then I realized when my daughter would be 19 and we decided to do it after that. August was out as it is a really busy time for us.

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh for sure, that was our main reason to have our wedding in 2019 instead of last year. MONEY!! lol

To be fair, wedding's really should cost this much! Like, I'm trying to have a wedding on the cheaper side and our budget is still $20,000 & out of town & during the "off season".

A wedding should not have to nearly put you in debt! We want to start planning for a family after we get married but you can't exactly do that if you are $10,000+ in debt!!

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's exactly how we chose our cut off age! lol We decided to have a no-kid wedding so we put clearly on the back 18+ and then a little rhyme as to why. (Over here we have 18 as the legal drinking age though.)

Was there only one date that they had open or were you looking for summer in specific?

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It is crazy just how different the price can be based off of one day!! I see you went with a Friday - I've got to be honest I kind of wish I would have too but alas, too many out of town guests (hopefully) coming so we didn't want to give them a reason not to come. That and at our venue we get it for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday but have to be out by 11AM... would be nice to have a whole day to tear down but I'm sure we will be able to get most of it done the night of the wedding.

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That makes perfect sense!

Less than a month away now, you excited??

• Kassandra
    Frequent user May 2020 Alberta
    Kassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We agreed on Spring of 2020, summer would have been too hot and winter too cold and out of towners may have not been able to make it(crazy Alberta winters haha) Smiley tongue

plus that extra year away gives us time to save up and we were able to get the small rural venue we wanted Smiley smile

• Stephanie
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We both agreed on the year - 2020.

I wanted after a certain a date so that my oldest daughter was over 19 and able to legally have a drink with us.

The venue had a date open and we took it.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We both agreed on a summer/autumn border wedding to be on the safe side. It came upon deciding by the season, then month and finally, the date so that was the way we made our choice.

The other choice was the cost per person for Friday/Sunday vs Saturday being a higher price.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We both wanted a spring wedding. We didn't want our wedding to fall on a holiday weekend so we agreed not to have it on the mother's day weekend or Victoria day weekend in May and agreed that April was too unpredictable so we ended up going with the last weekend in May of 2019.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Now you’re almost destined to have a baby in March hahah.
  • Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I can definitely see how a deployment could veto some dates!! And here you are - all married up!! Congratulations by the way!! Hope to see pictures!!

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We really only had 3 options,

June 2018(pre 6 month depolyment) - 5-6 months to plan everything so no
    February/March 2019 (post 6 month deployment) - Just over a year to plan - the winner

Or summer/fall 2019 where we would not know his deployment schedule from months, possibly leaving us in the same spot as option one.

It was really simple, only one gave us time to plan at our pace.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    July 18, 2020 is a Saturday! That’s when my wedding is!
  • Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha I like that. "Im seeing 20/20 with you" Haha 😊
  • Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's something I didn't even think of, I was a little bummed that we didn't pick the 5th of March (our dating anniversary), but 2019 it falls on a Tuesday so we couldn't have! And 2020 is a Thursday, 2021 is on Friday, and that wouldn't be possible for my side of the family who lives 5 hours away, so 2022 would be the soonest on a Saturday!! No way would I have waited over 4 years!!

I like the whole 06/20/20 - you could do a whole "I'm seeing 20/20 with you" type thing Smiley tongue

• Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We thought about having our wedding on our anniversary (July 18th) but in 2020 that date is in the middle of the week. And July can be pretty hot. So we thought June would be a good month. My birthday is June 9th so we couldn't do that weekend and the following weekend is Father's day so I didn't want to do it then. So we both agreed on June 20, 2020.

• Marissa
    Expert August 2019 Ontario
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We will have been together 8 years on the day. It doesn't feel that long and somehow feels even longer at the same time.
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

God no lol. I think I'd lose my mind trying to do a seating chart for 23 tables Smiley xd my bouquet will have 23 lavender roses though!

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh yay! I would have loved to have ours on our anniversary but it's March 5th and had we done that we would have had to wait until probably 2020 (engaged in Dec. 2017, social season is in March/April so if we rushed we could do it for 2018 but unlikely... plus we weren't wanting a spring wedding... why couldn't we meet at a different time?!?!?! lol)

How long will you have been together on your wedding??

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do you think you will still try and incorporate that number into your wedding somehow? Don't suppose there will be 23 tables eh?

• Marissa
    Expert August 2019 Ontario
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There was only one date we wanted, August 11th, our current anniversary. I was worried about it being a Sunday this year, but I think it's working out even better than had we done it last year on a Saturday.
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We really wanted June 23, because 23 is a special number for both of us individually and as a couple, but that day was taken. We knew we wanted spring, because he hates the cold and I hate the heat, so we needed a happy medium. We ended up just picking the day the hall was free.

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ughhhh!!! I SO SHOULD HAVE!!! Dang it!!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You should've proposed December 5th! Smiley tongue That way all your dates would've been 5ths lol

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yup - no matter what there will be something!! My one BM has so much going on in March that she has told me numerous times that she will kill me if I end up having any kids in that month Smiley tongue

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics