Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tabitha
Beginner October 2018 New Brunswick

Videographer yes or no?

Tabitha, on March 20, 2018 at 15:00 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 28
Debating if its really worth it to have a videographer during my wedding day? What are your inputs? Did you have a videographer at your wedding? Are you having one at your wedding? Or do you think its just not worth the extra expense? Please give me your opinion!

28 Comments

Latest activity by De Andra, on December 6, 2019 at 21:57
  • De Andra
    Newbie April 2021 Ontario
    De Andra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

How did your video turn out?? Toronto?

• Kait
    Curious September 2019 Ontario
    Kait ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm on the fence about this too. I'm from Toronto so they are priced around $3,000 here which does not fit into our budget as we are already over the budget. If the guest list somehow reduces, then we might take it into consideration but as of right now, it's a no and we did spurge on our photographer so I know they will be able to capture everything.

• Anja
    Beginner August 2018 Ontario
    Anja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's worth it. I'd say get it. Our Videographer was awesome. He sent us our video last month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bvlv1vjpp8

I watch it every week! Smiley smile

• Alessia
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Alessia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well nowadays, many companies don't even give you a whole wedding video. Ours is going to be a 10 minute short film. But we do get a full video for speeches and a full video for the ceremony. My FH told me it wasn't needed and we could put those thousands toward something else. But then he started to think that photographs don't catch the laughter, tears, or sounds, and maybe it is best to have a videography recording things that photographs miss. Ultimately it is up to you, but my vote is for Yes!

• Lucy
    Frequent user July 2019 Ontario
    Lucy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was umming and ahhing about getting a videographer until my mother told me she watches her video at least once a year. I can also send a copy to my elderly grandparents who can't make the journey from Australia so they can watch the ceremony too.
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    At first I didn’t think it was and then I changed my mind lol we will be having a videographer for our wedding. I just couldn’t imagine not having it when I started looking at others videos, seems so special and I know that we’ll watch it.. at least I will probably over and over lol
  • Alessia
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Alessia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I feel your pain! I'm in Toronto too and I'm finding the prices for photo/video is NUTS! I'm also finding a lot of people don't do full wedding videos anymore... Ours is 10 minutes... Smiley sad

• Karen
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Videographer is a must to my list because I love the idea of going back and watching my wedding with future kids or grandkids etc. If u can find someone that offer video and photo package together you'll save. That's how I did mine and got lucky and found an affordable videographer & photographer.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't have one as I couldn't realistically understand paying that much money toward something that I may never even watch. My aunt ended up recording our ceremony on her iPhone though and sent us the video so we have it anyway. I think you should save your money and DIY it or ask someone to take the video of the ceremony for you.

• Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We couldn't fit one into our budget, so instead we are going to set up my own digital camera in the church because capturing the ceremony is most important to us.

My dad used to be a photographer, so he has all kinds of gear we can borrow, but maybe look into renting camera equipment like tripods or even a good quality camera for the day from Henry's or something. That could save money while still capturing key moments Smiley smile
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I really like the ones I have seen and it makes a great memory of the day. But, everyone I have known who has had one has watched it only a couple times. I think the advantage would be you'd have something to watch with people who weren't able to be there for whatever reason but want to see how it went.

We decided against it because we couldn't justify spending thousands of dollars on something we might only watch a handful of times. We also have amazing photographers who can capture most of the same things.

• Dana
    Frequent user April 2018 Ontario
    Dana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We aren’t having one but now that’s it getting closer to the day I am really wishing we had fit it in to our budget somehow. Video would just capture special moments that photos will miss. I’m going to have some friends and family try to capture some footage but if we could’ve managed it I would’ve preferred a professional.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was on the fence about this for the longest time. I talked to a bunch of friends/coworkers who got married and asked if they had one. Most that didn't have one said they regretted it and the ones who did mostly said that they have watched the video a couple of times and that's it but that they are glad they have it. So with this info my fiancé and I started to research it more and watched a ton of wedding videos and we decided we couldn't imagine not having one. We reached out to a videographer who would do the ceremony and a bit of the reception for $500 which was fantastic! Ultimately though we decided to go for a larger package so we don't end up being one of those couples that regret not having one later on.
    Uktimately if you have a decent camera to record with you can use that but if you want any editing then that's when a professional would come in handy.
  • Renee
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Renee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I originally wasn't going to get one. Then I started thinking of how fast it goes and what moments could be missed in photos. Then I started seeing so many amazing ones I started to look.

At 1st I was only finding in the 3000 which was too high and I was so sad. But after reaching out to my wedding planner she found one who will do a 1 min teaser day after wedding, a 3-5 minute highlight video AND a 90 min full video for $1300! Booking him for sure! After researching him we found out he's done over 200 weddings, but has recently started his own company. As he is just starting out, his price is low and his work is awesome!

I have spent a lot more time on certain items and things because I'm picky and I have spent countless time researching vendors and their work to find what works for me in the middle. If you hunt long enough, you may find what you want!
  • Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Nope. never planned for it as it's insanely expensive and NOT a cost either of us were willing to add to our relatively tight budget
  • Cathrine
    Devoted April 2018 Ontario
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We aren’t having one because of the cost but I’ve asked a friend to use my video camera to film for me. I work in post production so i can edit the footage together myself into a highlight reel.
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are not having one. I thought about how often we would watch it, and what parts we would actually watch.

The only thing that is important to me is our vows, and our first dance. We are fortunate that a lot of people we know, including us, have the newest version of the GoPro which takes really good quality video. We're going to set up a few of them to capture those important moments.

• Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I want one and my FH doesn't. Some vendors charge an additional $3000 (Toronto). Everyday I try to convince him to change his mind!!! darn-it !!

• Brianne
    Beginner June 2019 British Columbia
    Brianne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I personally don’t think I’d ever watch it, so we’re passing on this. However I have a friend who says her biggest regret is not having a video of the day because of how fast it all went.
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Originally when we made our budget we weren’t going to have one and then I changed my mind. After watching other videos online it made me really want it for ours! Seems like such a special keepsake to have, I know it’s a lot of money but I’m glad we are having one now I think it’s worth it.
  • Julie-Ann
    Curious February 2018 Ontario
    Julie-Ann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I didn’t have one and it’s my only regret from the whole wedding.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re not having one because the expense is just too much for something we probably will never watch/we don’t have room for it in our budget.
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We aren't bothering with one. For the amount you pay and what you get from them we just didn't see it as money well spent.

• Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are getting a videographer for our wedding but only because we have a unique scenario. Our ceremony site is too small for all my guests, so I'm having it filmed and played back later during the reception. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered with this.

• Sharon
    Curious September 2018 Ontario
    Sharon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was no for the longest time. Then somehow, I got convinced into a yes. All I really want is a highlight video so I'm shopping around now for a videographer than is cheap but doesn't look too cheap.

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie Online ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it's totally worth it and I love my wedding video so much!!! However - one of the toughest things about finding a videographer is the selection and price! They can be just as expensive as your photographer, but there are wayyy less options than there are with photographers!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It all depends on your preferences. Some people never look at the video again, they will look at the photo's more. I said no to this because of extra expense. Is this a wish list type of preference or are you debating?

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We said no to this. A close friend of ours has a good video camera so we are going to set that up on a tripod and record the ceremony and have him record speeches and dances. Saves us 100%. We don't like when videographers make it "movie style" we just want the clips of the important things.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics