Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jenn
Frequent user March 2019 Ontario

Vendor response time

Jenn, on April 3, 2018 at 02:28 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 15
I’m really surprised at how unresponsive many vendors (i.e., photographers, cake vendors) I’ve contacted have been. What has been the average response time for everyone else? Am I contacting to early? Could this be why?

15 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on April 7, 2018 at 09:59
  • Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I've learned to be very wary of the wedding show vendors... I won a few "contests" that were a bit sketchy and they really weren't very good deals, plus that annoying photographer I met was at a show. There are definitely good vendors, you just have to be careful.
  • Cathrine
    Devoted April 2018 Ontario
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I had something similar too Erin. A photographer we met at a wedding show was calling me nearly everyday to try to set up a meeting. Timing was always off where i didn't answer the phone but he never got the hint. Finally i called and left a message saying we'd booked someone else.

• Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've also had the issue of hearing from a vendor TOO MUCH. He emailed me EVERY DAY "just checking in if I had made a decision yet... Yikes, dude, give me some space! Needless to say, I didn't go with him. The people I finally decided on have been wonderful - patient, responsive, enthusiastic, accommodating... Don't settle for someone who won't get back to you!
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have picked vendors based on response time. I e-mail and call and if I don't hear back I move on. They should want my business, I shouldn't have to chase them down to give them money!

It's frustrating but thankfully the vendors I have heard from have turned out to be better than the ones that didn't respond!

• Cathrine
    Devoted April 2018 Ontario
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've had mixed experiences with my venue specifically. At first, super attentive and fast. Deposit but down and response time slowed. Sometimes they are quick to respond, sometimes i feel like i'm chasing them. All in all, i'm sure it will all work out, but i'm the type of personality that has a rough time with delayed response times. Trying to be understanding though.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I contacted my venue 2 years in advance every time I’ve messaged them I got an answer that day or the next day, unless it was their day off and in case they had an automatic email tell me when they’d be back to work. I think the longest I had to wait was maybe 3 days when they were putting together our contract. I feel really comfortable because I know they’ll respond if I have any concerns. I have two photographers in mind and one of them is my mum’s friend who she’s going to be seeing in the next couple of weeks and she’s going to talk to him and get details and if he’s not available my backup has always responded within a day (Usually within an hour or two). I feel more confident knowing they’ll answer me.
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had this problem when we were first contacting vendors. When I tried to look at venues, we only got a response from around 5 of them, and those we booked a visit, 2 of them cancelled on us. It's not the way to get my business. Anytime vendors took to long to get back to me, I moved on or gave them a call, if I had already booked because I was planning from out-of-province and had limited time when I came to visit.

With that said, your wedding is still a year away, so they are probably prepping for this wedding season with all their summer weddings. It will probably take some time to get back to you, but I would expect quicker responses by mid-October, especially November. I say, wait a week, and if you don't hear back, give them a call.

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I usually judge it by the time of yr. If it's peak wedding season then I give it maybe 3 weeks to respond as I get it they are busy. If it's not peak wedding season I give it a week - week & a half to respond. By then I move on. The longest that someone took to respond for me was my DJ which was 5 days after I contacted him. If they want your business they will get back to you. I can tell you I emailed/called at least 15 venues and only about 4-6 actually got back to me.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with everyone here about the response times! The vendors I’ve gone with so far are the ones who’ve returned emails/phone calls ASAP. I still have vendors (from WW and otherwise) who haven’t responded back to me and it’s 2.5 months later.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If they don't prioritize answering clients, or potential clients, they won't prioritize you down the line.
    I emailed a couple photographers the other day, and the one I was leaning towards most emailed me within the hour to say he was at a shoot and would email me my requested information when he was done... Then I received a full email a few hours later! Let's just say he's #1 on the list right now.
  • Jenn
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks Everyone! I have the same feeling....the quick responders will be the most reliable. It is just disappointing Smiley sad ... one photographer in particular I was set on booking because they had a great portfolio.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely go with the quick responders. Those vendors are typically the ones you know you'll be able to rely on when it comes down to the nitty gritty. I'm still waiting for a response back from a vendor we had previously booked but she's chosen to ignore my email. Our decorator takes weeks to respond so we've decided to go with another as she's completely unreliable.

• Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went with the quick responders like Becky did. I STILL haven't heard back from a couple of venues that I contacted, and I found my venue in July 2017! The ones we went with responded within a day or so, and who subsequently responded to further questions within a 1-2 day period.

You want someone who cares about providing good service and not just getting a pile of cash from you. Especially photographers and DJs, as they will essentially be guests, as well as the venue, and all will be key players. I wouldn't stress about vendors like the cake Baker or florist as much. Those are services that can be more last minute if something goes wrong. My sister-in-law's florist never showed up (nightmare scenario!), but with the help of her friends and the local grocery store, they still managed to have a bouquet and beautiful centre pieces for a reception of 240 people Smiley smile It's never too early to be prepared though so keep trying!!
  • Jenn
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Becky!! It's been frustrating... Smiley sad

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had the same issue with people taking few months to respond or don’t at all. Everyone who I ended up going with responded very quickly. If they can’t respond now I don’t want to rely on them to respond when it’s important. The only one I had to go with who was slower responding was the venue due to the lack of in the area. They were also an older couple. The ones who didn’t respond I called and they just ended up not realizing they had emails

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics