Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Breanne
Expert August 2018 Ontario

To Veil or Not to Veil

Breanne, on January 25, 2018 at 10:43 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 34

Hi Ladies,

Questions regarding wearing a veil.

If you did not wear one (or don't plan on it) why did you choose not to wear one? Are you afraid you will or did you regret it?

And for those who did have a veil, would you have rather not worn one?

I am leaning towards not wearing one (extra cost, would likely only wear for an hour etc) but would love to hear from everyone on here.

34 Comments

Latest activity by Jamie, on February 6, 2018 at 22:31
  • Jamie
    Frequent user September 2018 Alberta
    Jamie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was sold after trying mine on with my dress!
    I won't be covering my face during the ceremony, it will just be worn as a hair accessories for the ceremony and some formal photos; it will likely come out for the reception as I am also buying a pearl hair piece to match my mom's pearls that my dad and brother gifted me 🙂
  • Mandy
    Devoted July 2019 Alberta
    Mandy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I originally didn’t want a veil. When I went to try on my dress my mom had brought her veil. I tried it on and it completed the look. So I will be wearing one now.
  • Brittany
    Beginner September 2018 British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is exactly what I'm trying to work out as well! This is helpful as the back of my dress is beautiful and I don't really want it covered. My mother wants me to wear a veil but I think I'm going to just have a pretty hair clip instead.

• Surina
    Frequent user March 2018 Ontario
    Surina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am not wearing one. But my dress is also not a convention color either...lol but i have some nice hair bling to dress up my do.

• Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't wear one. I did try one on and it looked really nice, but in the end I decided not to. First of all, I really liked the back of my dress so I wanted it visible. And for another, although it looked nice, it just wasn't "me". I really wanted to look like me on my wedding day and I think the veil would have been just too much.

• Rebecca
    Frequent user October 2018 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I personally wasnt sure either, but after trying on some options with some dresses I was sold on it! I felt it really made me look and feel like a bride. If you can find a great one that compliments your dress well, you’re golden! Smiley smile try on a few styles and see how you feel!
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes, it's an extra cost, but just ask yourself, if you have not photos or memories of ever wearing a veil in your life (because fingers crossed the marriage is permanent, haha), than do it.

I know I want that look, standing at the alter with a veil. I tried on dresses the other week for the first time, and the consultant put a cathedral veil on me that matched the dress I liked perfectly... it make me feel like a bride.

I'm from BC, so I don't know if they have them in your area, but you can join wedding themed bidding groups on Facebook, and look for deals there (brides selling virtually brand new veils), or you can even re-sell yours after the day. Or both and break even! Haha.

• Amanda
    Frequent user September 2018 New Brunswick
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am wearing a veil. I fell in love with the look. I can totally understand your point, though. Ie: my veil is going to obscure my hair and the intricacies of the back of my dress, which kinda sucks, but I can justify removing it early because I got it on an awesome sale Smiley tongue
    As for whether you'll regret it, something that former brides keep telling me is that:
    "those details that you're freaking out about... The ones that feel like the end of the world if they don't go right? You won't even remember them in the long run." So that's my mantra that will be calming my nerves in the coming months.

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m also undecided but leaning towards no. I wouldn’t cover my face with it, just have it resting on the back of my head, but when the lady at the dress store put it on me, it really did look great.
  • Rosalyn
    Devoted August 2018 Alberta
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m following this thread! I’ve been questioning the same thing! I worry it’s so much money for such a small amount of time wearing it....and my gf took hers off immediately because after the ceremony every single person hugged her and it pulled on the veil. Haha
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My original plan was not to wear a veil. I didn't see the excitement in wearing one for the extra cost and I wanted to actually see my hair-do . However, when I tried on my dress and the lady placed a very simple veil on, I thought it really made a statement and helped to accent the dress.

• Samantha
    Frequent user May 2019 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I really want to wear a veil as of right now, but once I get my dress I may change my mind. It all depends on how it looks together! I don’t think I would end up regretting my choice though, no matter what it is
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am not wearing a veil. I think it doesn’t fit the more modern style of wedding we are going for.
  • Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So special that you can wear your moms! Also cathedral style 😍.
  • Jessica
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wanted to wear one. But everyone I tried on just looked strange on me. Or strange with my dress. I wasn't dead set on one and I didn't find one I loved . So I don't feel I'll regret it.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will be wearing a veil. I love the look and this is my only opportunity to wear one! I am probably going to be wearing my mom's cathedral veil, so I won't have it on all day. Ceremony, some pictures, but probably not during the reception and definitely not during dancing!

My friend opted out of wearing a veil and chose a tiara instead. If cost is the main factor in not wanting to wear one, there is the option of buying a used one off buy and sell sites which would be cheaper.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think if you find one that completes the look of your dress then it is worth it but if you don’t want one and your dress looks good without one (which it totally should) then ditch the veil idea, there are a bunch of other options like crowns, flower crowns, headbands, clips, etc that you could probably find for cheap
  • Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I refused flatly to have one, despite the whole "you wont look like a bride/stand out without one" lecture.

i tried one on at my mum's insistence (just to see how i'd look and to make her be quiet!)...my face soured...literally!
  • Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I tried a couple on while I was dress shopping, and every time they put one in my hair, both of my parents said “no veil”. I was on the fence if I wanted one or not but I guess my parents decided for me. Haha
  • Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wasn't sure about getting a veil but when they put one one me it made the dress and I instantly had my moment. If cost is keeping you back look at wish.ca. There's also cute other options like crowns, headbands etc
  • Sashanette
    Curious April 2019 Ontario
    Sashanette ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely want a veil. Im hoping to making it myself to cut on cost. *Fingers crossed it turns out alright*
  • Laura
    Frequent user October 2018 British Columbia
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it depends on the style you're looking to portray and what type of dress you have. I wasn't planning on wearing a veil but ended up getting one that matched my dress and feel that it really completes the whole look. I'm planning to wear my hair half up/half down.

• Jackie
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was thinking about putting a veil on but after reading all the comments I think maybe I put flowers in my hair.
  • Jackie
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Loving this picture with the veil over both of them.
  • Jackie
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow that’s so beautiful! Congratulations!
  • Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I won’t be wearing a veil. I hadn’t really put much thought into it one way or another. We’re already going the more untraditional route for our wedding and it doesn’t seem like
    my style. Also I “said yes to the dress” last weekend and my dress has a beautiful lace overlay that I will be wearing that gives of a veil like feel from the back.

To Veil or Not to Veil 1
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

At this time, I don't think I'll be wearing a veil. I don't think it'll go very well with the hairstyle I'm going with. Also, I would only be wearing it for a couple of hours, so I don't see the point of getting one when I could spend that money on nicer jewelry or statement pieces.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wore a veil, my mum's veil actually and I really liked it. I felt very bridal with the veil and it looked great in the pictures. I got married outside, on a hill actually, and I had no problems with the wind. I took it off once we went into dinner so it was a good split of time wearing it and not wearing it. I wore my hair up and my stylist just nestled it into one section of hair and we easily took it out.

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As of this moment yes I am, here is why:

1. I think veils are beautiful and I kind of want to go all out in my wedding day (in regards to the "bridal look".
    2. My FH loves the idea of me wearing a veil, so that was a huge contributing factor.
    3. I have a ton of photography ideas that involves the veil.

But I'm still on the fence because I will only be wearing in for ceremony and pictures, I also hope to get a different coloured dress (blush purple) so I'm not sure if I can find a veil I like with that, and it's an extra cost..not that it will cause an issue but it's always nice to cut costs where you can.
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No veil for me 3 reasons

1) extra cost

2) I'm wearing a burgundy wedding dress to find a veil in my color would be tough

3) would only wear it for a few hrs so I don't find it worth it

I do believe they look amazing in pictures though, but not something for me.

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wore a veil but only for the ceremony and for a few pictures! Most of the pictures I took without my veil on. I love the super bridal look and great veil pictures! Smiley heart

Here are some of my favorite types of "veil pictures":

To Veil or Not to Veil 2Photo from Pear Studios in Toronto

To Veil or Not to Veil 3

Photo from Amy Taylor Photography in Kitchener, ON

• Kristine
    Frequent user October 2017 Ontario
    Kristine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I didn't wear a veil and I have no regrets. If I could do it all over again I still wouldn't wear a veil.

I had a corset back dress and I didn't want the detail covered by a veil. I also wanted to wear my hair down, and didn't want to have to worry about figuring out a hairstyle that the veil can be easily taken out of.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics