Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alexis
Beginner August 2018 Ontario

To invite or e-vite?

Alexis, on January 24, 2017 at 16:17 Posted in Plan a wedding 1 38

Hi friends!

SO. Venue=booked. Menu/drink packages=chosen. My wedding is far away yet BUT based on current allocation of my funds, preliminary planning, and the fact that I do also need to anticipate unexpected costs, I'm trying to now cut back where I can in ways that are not so important to me.

I love invitations and stationery and looking at them and choosing them (SO pretty and personal), but if I can save a thousand dollars and spend more money on a certain videographer I'm really trying to lock down, or some more real flowers as opposed to going faux, I miiight be willing to let it go.

This therefore begs the question: How tacky is it to send invites via email? For anyone who has done this, has it also been the case that you send a "Save-the-Date" via email as well?

38 Comments

Latest activity by Sarah & Tom, on March 8, 2017 at 14:30
  • Sarah & Tom
    Curious May 2017 Ontario
    Sarah & Tom ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We went with paper invites, but saved a little by requesting that people RSVP through our wedding wire website. This allowed us to save money on the actual invite (because we needed fewer pieces in our suite). We also hand delivered as many of our invites as we could - postage savings. That's an option to cut a little cost and keep the paper invites!

• Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did e-vites for our Save the Date and did printed invites for our Wedding Invitations. We also nixed the printed RSVPs and instead printed the link to our online RSVP on the Wedding Invite itself. Bonus is that we can easily email out those who haven't RSVPed with a quick reminder to do so :-)

Doing this saved us a ton of money.

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Alexis! I agree! These fit really nicely with your theme Smiley heart They're very sophisticated! Smiley smile Let us know when you get them! This is the idea I was suggesting for save the dates: Insta "Save the Dates", it can also just be a picture to keep a memory of it Smiley smile

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Lindy! That's would be so amazing if all your out of town guests could make it! Will you send them the paper invites or the e-vites? I can't wait to see the design for your invitations! Smiley love What colours did you choose?

• Alexis
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi again, Emilie!

I don't think we're going to do Save the Dates-- it seems as though it's just as finalizing as sending an invitation, and most people know the date already anyways. A couple hundred saved is still a couple hundred dollars!

No picture of us either. This is my dream wedding invitation. I'll be getting a sample in the mail soon, hopefully! The whole theme of the wedding is clean, simple, elegant- so these fit nicely.

Monogram Wedding Invitation

Monogram Wedding Invitation

• Lindy
    Beginner September 2017 Ontario
    Lindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My paper invites are quite different but there was a lot to choose from so a lot of different designs and you can change the wording ! Our wedding currently we have 120 invited thinking closer to 85 will be our count though! (Lots of out of town guests)
  • Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Alexis! You're welcome! Smiley catface Let us know what you decide on! I look forward to see the design of your invitations! Will you put a picture of you two in there? Will you also make Save the Dates? Smiley smile

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Lindy! That's a great idea! I'm so glad to hear you were complimented on your e-vites! Smiley smile Are your papers invitations similar to your e-vites? Could you customize the design? I'm so happy to hear from you! I can't wait to hear about your wedding plans! Smiley heart How many people are you inviting to your wedding?

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sounds good Vanessa! I'm glad to hear it! Smiley smile Do they have different designs to choose from? Are you going for a particiular theme for your wedding? Smiley smile

• Alexis
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks so much for your input, everyone! I especially like the suggestions of different sites worth checking out- lots of research on the horizon! Xo
  • Lindy
    Beginner September 2017 Ontario
    Lindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I just sent my evites on wedding wire and everyone has complimented us so far on the ease to rsvp and also congratulating us on saving this cost I did however order a small number of paper invites just a postcard type front and back from shutterfly they currently have 30% off and around Christmas time a lot of $20 off coupons are given so I was able to take advantage of both savings so if there are people you would like to have paper (I myself made sure our grandparents got paper) this is something to consider watching for deals on also !
  • Vanessa
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't picked yet. While I'm not using the weddingwire.ca invites (paperless post has a really good RSVP system), I am making a wedding website through here Smiley smile

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Alexis,

Just to offer my two cents- I don't much like the e-vite idea....I think for something so special as a wedding you want to present it to your guests as a special occasion, and not risk the invite ending up in a spam box!

I have made my own invites for under 50$ (supplies included to hand paint them!), and you don't even need to go as crazy as painting them. A simple cream coloured card stock, with a swirly pretty font can be so elegant, and you can print them at home using your printers high quality setting. A pretty envelope seal, and you are all set! Hand delivering invites to those in your area can save a lot too!

Skip Save the dates and give your "VIP" guests a call with details instead....cuts out a chunk of paper cost.

That said, if you really do want to cut this cost, you can- but I think that sending some e-vites and some paper invites would be rude to the guests who don't "deserve" the formal invitation. Even the tech savvy crowd should be treated as nicely as your less techy guests.

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Vanessa! Welcome! Smiley heart That's a great idea! What design did you choose for your invtations? Are you also making a wedding website? Smiley smile

• Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes we've been to their venues Spencers on the Waterfront and their restaurant Earth to Table in Hamilton. I like their concept! And yes I loved the mouldings, high ceilings AND the gorgeous chandelier!! And I love how the Bridal Lounge in the second floor overlooking the space! So exciting! We seem to have similar styles!
  • Alexis
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oakville is so beautiful too! I love the high ceilings and the moudling. Sometimes it can be tricky to find an intimate venue that will accommodate everyone.

You're familiar with Pearle events then! Yes, we love the food at Cambridge Mill- they outsource from a group of farms they're associated with. And they have guests order at the wedding so that the food doesn't become soggy or dry, but that will mean a very early dinner so they coordinate with the other rooms at the venue. Whistle Bear is beautiful too but we've booked Cambridge and are going to keep it under the 200 limit.

• Vanessa
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm going e-vite from paperless post - they're so pretty! Why you ask? POSTAGE, OMG. NO.

That said, I am making a few invitiations for older guests and those who will want to have one as a keepsake (grammas, mom/dad - I'm literally making 5 paper invites).

I will send or hand deliver "Thank You" cards though.

• Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh yikes that is pricey! You could always do Save the Dates separately through someplace like Minted or Shutterfly and buy them when they're 50% off. (we just did that for our thank you cards) Our invitations included the main invitation, invitation envelope, belly band, bookmark with details, RSVP card and RSVP envelope. I think you could get away with not including a map and just putting the addresses for the venues. If you have a wedding website, you can include a map there and room block information. These were our invitations. We went through The Paper Violet Shoppe on Etsy and I would highly recommend her!

Invitations
    You're welcome to check out our wedding website if you're looking for ideas of things to include! www.weddingwire.com/samncollin

Do you have a style of invitation that you're looking for?

• Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
  • Alexis
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks for the suggestions, Lisa! The classy, inexpensive way would definitely be ideal, and it's true about DIY--sometimes by the time you purchase all of the required supplies, you might have been better off ordering.

I booked at the Cambridge Mill Smiley smile What about you?

• Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't think it is is taken to send e-vites as there people that are computer savvy. I would consider those who are not and purchase the amount you need for paper invites. There are places that have reasonable prices or even sales on invitations. How many people are you inviting?
  • Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Just as a note, the suggestions for doing some evites and some paper invites... I would recommend against that. It's not about being tech savy, all of my guests know who to use technology, but If aunt Betty (just examples, making up names) found out that she just only got an email invite after grandma got a nice paper one, she would likely feel like a second class guest.

While I obviously believe that paper invites are a better option for a wedding invitation, if you decide to do digitial, definitely do one or the other and not both. Everyone will feel equally special that way!

Also, if you are finding postage to be a major cost, I have been hand deliverying most of my invites. I just have them ready and as I see people that are invited, I just hand them their invite. I'll only have to mail about 20 out of 50 this way. Some people consider this a faux pas and not as formal, but I refuse to mail something to someone living across the street! Or that I see on a regular basis!

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's a great point Jessica! Do you know what design you'll choose for yours? Smiley love How many invitations will you send?

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Alexis! I'm glad to see you got plenty of useful opinions in here Smiley smile I personally think you could go for either choice. I think it also depends which age group will be attending your wedding. Maybe you could have paper invites for some and evites for others? You can also send you invites through our website and they look quite professional: How To Send Your Online Wedding Invitations using WeddingWire Let us know what you decide on! I can't wait to see them! Smiley love Are you planning on sending Save the Dates?

• Jessica
    Frequent user June 2018 Saskatchewan
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I know tons of people who have done email or facebook! I would probably do real invitations to my grandparents since they love that stuff, but for my cousins who are tech savvy, email all the way.
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oops hit send too fast! It's cheaper if you assemble it yourself !
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Check out Oakville Paper Company too! They will actually cut everything and you can assemble yourself !
  • Alexis
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You laugh when I say a thousand dollars but I'm talking about through etsy! My fiance has a huge family and we have a 300 person guestlist. So approximately 150 invitations, save the dates, rsvp cards, envelopes, we would need to do an insert with a map because we have our ceremony at a church in a different city than where out reception is and we also have to put hotel information in for my family who are all from Ottawa. Delivery, tax, postage... it added up to close to $10 for a set pretty quickly when I was looking into it!! But everyone on here has provided with some good insight so maybe I'll just have to find a way to tweak things, refer guests to the website rather than print absolutely all the information, etc.Thanks ladies!
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Depends on the type of wedding you are going for. If it more casual, I think e vites are ok. I thought of doing the same thing and some of my friends and family are blowing a gasket. Some people told me if they can an evite, it's rude and they don't got to the wedding. I didn't budget for it either, but I'm going to find a classy inexpensive way to do them. I see you are in Cambridge. If you don't mind going to Oakville, Saratina Bridal has great Invitations you can order and they are inexpensive. One of the invites I liked was only $210 dollars for 125 invites. Check out websites like Vista print, Zazzle, Wedding Paper Divas etc.. Try google Free invite templates. You can find some half decent ones. But be careful your DIY doesn't cost more than ordering. Good luck. Where did you book your venue? I checked out a few venues there!
  • F
    Curious June 2017 British Columbia
    Falisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey girl! Send a save the date via email or even Facebook message can be a little looked down upon, but guess what, I did it! Don't worry about what others think cuz you can't please everyone. Do what you want to do. As far as spend a thousand dollars on invites, there are ways around it. It might take some time to do but you can. I personally found some extra/second hand invitations from a coworker that fit perfectly. I may need to get more of another kid due to nUmber but hey, still saves some money. Staples is a great place to get simple stationary, and craft stores have stamps and little things to add your personalized touch to everything to help achieve your special look! Not to mention I'm doing 2 kinds of invitations. Get creative! But again they can take time to make and put together. I printed the wording on fancier office paper, cut them out with a large paper cutter, and used double sided tape to put them in. Let me know if you want to see them for ideas!
  • Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I got a print your own kit from Party City... Even with customization and printing I will be under $70 for 100... Amazon and Michaels also sell them.
  • Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

All of this, YES!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics