Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Newbie September 2020 Ontario

Stag and doe (event to raise money)

Samantha, on February 5, 2018 at 04:38 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 18
Im from a small town where you see stag and does, in order for the bride and groom to make money for the big day. I'm looking for suggestions from people who had such an event, would you do it again? What would you change? What kind of games did you have? Did you make or loose money? If you have suggestions of any other type of event, that would be appreciated also Smiley smile

18 Comments

Latest activity by Carol, on October 25, 2019 at 17:39
  • Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Well sorry that I couldn't be much help to you. Thanks for pulling me back into Weddingwire lol, haven't been here for a while lol.
  • Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow there seems to be some major changes! I know when we got married in March 2018, there were some rules, but because it was for fundraising we were allowed, and the church hall people just wanted the place cleaned up, oh I did have to have a friend serving bar that had to be certified smart serve, and I had taxi vouchers for anyone that needed a taxi home. The taxi thing I did on my own. We held the licence, ran the bar, and all the games. If we didn't have that option we wouldn't have done one.
  • M
    Newbie October 2021 Ontario
    Missy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks so much! Unfortunately, according to many places it is no longer legal to do any types of sales that result in chance (so no raffles, no 50/50 etc) and you are now unable to provide alcohol as a prize as it encourages unsafe drinking...so in accordance with a lot of these new policies we are slightly unsure if we even want to host a buck and doe, as majority of those "chance" games is definitely where your money is made...mind you I know many people still to date are doing things like that...just not sure how.

• Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I see that you are in Ontario lol, replied to the message first. We had a table set up with all available tickets. We had a package deal for 40 dollars that included, 3 drinks, 1 grand prize ticket, 20 door prize tickets, that people put into baskets of the prizes that they were trying to win, at the table people bought the 50/50 for 2 for $5, or an arms length for $10. Jello shooters were $2.50 and friends and family made those for us. We made alot off of the toonie toss for a texas micky, and also a toonie toss for kate spade bag, we had plinko for drinks and gift cards, we also had a kate spade purse locked up in a box and sold keys to unlock it $5.00 a key, or 3 for $10.00. With the 50/50 your wedding party and family really needs to help out and walk the room every 30 mins at least selling tickets, same with the jello shooters. Oh and grand prize tickets were $10.00 each, and 3 for $20.00. For the grand prize we had a beautiful wooden cooler, filled with 16 bottles of liquor, the wedding party bought 1 bottle each to put in the cooler, yeah there was lotsbof us lol. We had 2 signed hockey jersys, and a 60" smart TV. We sold our stag and doe tickets for $15 each, We sold and extra 50 tickets then what the hall held, because we knew not everyone would show up. The money from the stag and doe tickets paid for the hall rental, the tv, and the food. We started selling the tickets 2.5 months prior to the date of the stag and doe.
  • M
    Missy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We live in Ontario actually (Stratford). And yes many places are informing us we cannot even do door prizes, as they are "chance" and raffle which is considered to be gambling! I have looked at places that hold the liquor licences and some of which I have to obtain my own licence - all of which are giving me the same response! I know lots of people still do 50/50 and door prizes (or are opting to just do ticket sales for honeymoon fundraisers or what not in which the prizes are gift cards, booze etc)..so I know lots are still doing these things, just a little anxious about being finned or something going wrong!

• Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is what they are saying to you? Wow! What province do you happen to be in? That is crazy that they are saying no door prizes also. For fundraisers such stag and does, jack and jills, buck and does etc... fundraising through tickets, door prizes, 50/50, etc is usually allowed. Do you happen to be looking at places that are holding the liquor licences themselves, or are you taking care of it?
  • M
    Missy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey Carol - how did you guys go about doing the 50/50 and jello shooters? We wanted to do something like this for our buck and doe, but many of the venues/halls we have inquired with are informing us these are forbidden, along with door prizes and any forum of raffle (ugh sigh). Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Smiley smile

• Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for sharing the information Smiley smile I am getting excited to plan a stag and for event in the summer Smiley smile
  • S
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much! That sounds very funny to watch Smiley smile
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I had four strips of double sided tape, shortest on top, longest on bottom. At the end of each strip was a task: The first task was writing a love note or poem to the other and read it aloud, the last one was pie in the face (I don't remember the other two). I tried to organize it so the tasks got more embarrassing as the strips of tape got longer.

People were to place loonies or toonies on the tape. Once it was full, the bride and groom would have to complete that task. This stag and doe had an MC who announced it was time for the couple to complete the task, so people stopped what they were doing to watch.

The tasks had to be completed in order. Some people didn't understand this and filled the pie in the face strip first. So, it stayed there until the other strips were filled and those tasks completed.

Any other questions feel free to ask!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our friends threw us one and we were given whats made end if it. Turned out great and fun. One thing i would add is silent auction for larger ticket items. Smaller ticket items as raffles.
  • S
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey Stephanie,

would you be be able to explain the game with the tasks to do please and thank you!
  • S
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow thanks everyone for the information Smiley smile
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When I was in Ontario, all my friends had them. I am living in Alberta now and have never heard anyone do one. We are not doing one for our wedding.

Some of my experiences:

Everyone in the wedding party donated at least one gift to the doorprize table.

Cake Auction (or any type of baking) works with only certain groups. I've been to a few that had these and only one really made money on it.

Toonie/Loonie toss always seems to be popular as long as the prize is good enough. Usually prize is a bottle of some type of liquor. Whoever tosses their loonie or toonie closest wins it (either make it a loonie or a toonie. Some people do one of each). The best way to do this is to announce it and have everyone do it all at once.

For my brother, the prizes for the games were tickets for the doorprizes. If you beat my brother's score, you won tickets.

One game I did was had different lengths of double sided tape. At the end of each strip was a task. Once the strip was full of loonies or toonies, the couple had to complete the task. Not a huge money maker but entertaining. Tasks got harder as the tape got longer. You had to fill the first tape before moving on to the next one.

I've been involved in three, and they all made money. It's a lot of work though and not a very relaxing night for anyone involved!

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did one in Sault Ste Marie (we live in Thunder Bay where we do something completely different). It lasted 3 hours, we made $5000. For me, I wouldn't do it again, even though we didn't plan it. It cost us a lot of money to get out there and it didn't feel like anything special. We had a few games that nobody even played except for the wedding party. Everybody pretty much ate, we did the prizes and then everybody went home.

• Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I find this very interesting and I am interested what other people did as I would like to look at doing one to raise money Smiley smile
  • Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh BTW, I'm from a large city and every one does stag and does, or just stags here.
  • Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Good morning, we had our Stag and Doe on Halloween weekend, it overall was a success, the things that went wrong the DJ, he was awful, and didn't listen to any one about what music to play, including myself and FH, he just about ruined the whole night. Make sure your wedding party is helping, we had assigned jobs to everyone, but when it was happening they "forgot" what they were suppose to do, i hate micromanaging people, and they were aware they were to be working all night. So we didn't do well on our 50/50 or jello shooters. Our overall outcome was 6000.00, which paid off almost what was left of the wedding. I truly felt let down by the best man and most of the others, they did as little as possible, and that left us almost no time to socialize with the guests. We even had 2 meeting prior to the stag and doe, tongoniver what everyone had to do. The next day a couple said if I wanted them to do something I should have told them, my reply was I did at the 2 meetings, and through all our messages, I'm not your babysitter, you knew full well what was expected. I'm still a little bitter. Lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics