Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Frequent user February 2020 Ontario

"Something Unique" that you love about your wedding?

Liarra, on March 29, 2019 at 06:26 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 43

Curious to hear what unique things people are incorporating into their big day!
For us, seeing as were getting married in February, I didn't want/need a crazy amount of expensive flowers.
Instead of floral centre pieces we're doing Cheese Boards to go along with our table wine! We're having a cocktail style reception so we wanted guests to have a little something to snack on throughout speeches and dances before the appetizer table gets set up.

Picture cheeses, crackers, fresh fruit on a beautiful bamboo board!
Surprisingly this ended up being a cheaper option compared to your standard floral centre pieces that go to waste post-wedding!

I hadn't heard of anyone doing this before but I absolutely love a good wine and cheese night!

Lets hear yours!

43 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on April 1, 2019 at 22:32
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's so awesome! I would personally love to attend a wedding with cheeseboard centerpieces Smiley laugh

We're not doing anything unique tbh, but that's okay! We're keeping things casual and authentic to us Smiley smile

• Alie
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Alie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Other ideas can be candles. Gold fish. Floating flowers... But that cheese board sounds amazing
  • L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love that! When we were considering fall we both agreed it was BBQ food or nothing! It's so fitting and personally if I went to a wedding and they serves me some good BBQ i'd be in heaven!

• L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not going to lie I had to google what Pampas Grass was; but wow that makes for such a beautiful backdrop!! This all sounds amazing!

• L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is such a fun way to do your thank you cards!

So personal!!

• L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow that is awesome, your guests will definitely think that is unique!

I'm all about the non-traditional stuff, I love the flip cup idea!

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We hired a food truck as our caterer, and will have a BBQ style dinner!
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Here are my favourite “unique” elements for our wedding:

Instead of an arch, we’ll be standing in a semi circle of pampas grass.

Instead of a bouquet, I’ll be carrying a custom clutch made out of and carrying family heirlooms.

Our recessional will be the trumpet riff from on of our favourite OutKast songs.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not necessarily unique but not done at any weddings we’ve been to: we used our centrepieces as our favour, we had a ring bearer security guard (one nephew carried the rings, as normal, one nephew wore an FBII costume) and we took group shots with all our guests and sent them out with the thank you cards.
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! FH and I just googled German wedding traditions and this came up with a list of alot of other neat ones!

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm trying to incorporate as many unique things into our wedding as possible. Because we are having a traditional church wedding and mostly Lebanese ceremony, in the same venue where my SIL got married, I was worried it would be too impersonal, so early on my FH and I discussed how we could make it more "us" - we are having nontraditional ceremony music (all instrumental covers of rock songs, mostly David Bowie), and our first dance is to a song that is completely not what you'd expect, and bound to raise some eyebrows among our more conservative family members. I'm trying to include little details that tie into our nerdier sides - my bouquet will have a "mermaid pendant" from Stardew Valley, a game we both play, we'll have music from the Lord of the Rings playing during our cocktail hour, and we're planning on playing a big game of Flip Cup later on in the evening, because it's our go-to party game Smiley smile

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is so creative!! I would totally do something like that if I had more than one table lol
  • Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is the coolest unity thing I have ever seen. I am part German so this would be so cool to do!
  • Shla
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Shla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Just the groom. 💜
  • Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you Liarra
  • L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is such an awesome idea Erin! I have to find a way to incorporate “in memory of” as well.
  • Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ok who doesn't love cheese?? My unique item will also be my centerpieces that will serve as my in memory of. Each centerpiece will have a pic of our loved one and will be filled with something that reminds us of them.
  • Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is like for real awesome, nonnas/grandma's are the best, what a great idea. I bet they are pleased as punch lol!!
  • L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That sounds great! When we considered a fall wedding we talked about a s’mores station. I feel like it’s almost essential for an outdoorsy themed wedding! I’m sure it’ll be a hit!
  • Sara
    Curious September 2019 British Columbia
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing a cocktail reception as well with tons of food. We are having a camping:outdoor theme. Our photobooth is going to be our tent set up with camping chairs. Plus we will have a propane fire pit on the patio of our space. Finishing it off with a snore station for dessert. I hope it’ll be fun! Lots of games and things as well
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Mymms.com !! Was super easy to set up the other and quick shipping! I waited for a time when they did a 30% off and bought then!
  • L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Pies!! I love that! Way better than cake in my opinion! STOPPPPP your Nonnas are the flower girls. I’ve seen this on Pinterest and it’s so amazing!! They must be so excited! Definitely a crowd pleaser!
  • Liana
    Curious June 2021 Ontario
    Liana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That's really cool!

We are planning to have wedding pies instead of cake.

Our ring bearers will be my little cousins and we will our Nonnas (2) be our flower nonnas.
  • L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is so awesome!! I love the symbolism behind it, makes me wish I was German so I could do this! I don’t think my heritage has any fun traditions like that. I’d be in the same boat as you, I’d definitely want to practice before hand! Either way it’ll be so fun and interactive. Your guests will love it!
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I LOVE cheese boards. Cheese is life. This is a fantastic fabulous idea, do you have any extra spots for guests Smiley winking I would appreciate the heck out of that centrepiece. Haha anyway amazing!!

Still early in the planning process, but so far we have are incorporating "Baumstamm sägen" - (sawing a tree trunk) in our ceremony. This is to honour my FH and I german heritage, and his just all around love for Germany. This will be our "unity ceremony" act. However in German tradition, the sawing of the tree trunk is done right after you are pronounced man and wife, as it is the first act of the married couple to show how well they work together Smiley smile I'm excited! Also nervous. I hope we can practice beforehand haha. But I want to make it quite a presentation, with a decorated tree trunk and lace gloves etc. Like below:

"Something Unique" that you love about your wedding? 1

And then not super unique but we are doing edible favours that are mini pumpkin pie tarts because our wedding day is Thanksgiving Sunday!

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hopefully! MY FH has built most of the games himself so it would be nice if he could see everyone enjoying them! Smiley smile

• L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I love lawn games. When we were considering a fall wedding it was a must have for us! I’m sure your guests will be super happy to have some entertainment!
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We don't have anything super unique. We are doing non-floral centerpieces which is unique compared to other weddings we have been to. We are also having lots of lawn games (weather depending) for guests to play during cocktail hour and even into the night if they want to

• Jillian
    Frequent user September 2022 Ontario
    Jillian ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Where did you order the customs ones from?

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Exactly!! The colours were perfect and how can you say no to those little hearts hahahh!!!
  • L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is amazing!! I’ve seen these before but never considered incorporating them into my wedding! The guests will love it and it’s definitely amazing that you can match it to your wedding colours!
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ok if I went to a wedding with a cheese and wine centrepieces I would be THRILLED! That is a great idea!!!

One small unique thing we're doing (it makes me laugh I love them so much) we got custom printed M&Ms to have on our sweet table... I bought a 5lb bag and we'll have them to serve along with the rest of the desserts! They're amazing and I'm so happy with them!

Custom Printed M&Ms"Something Unique" that you love about your wedding? 2

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics