Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Newbie October 2018 Ontario

Shower? Registery?

Kat, on February 4, 2018 at 19:40 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 7
Hi all!

Recently engaged, just starting to plan a fall wedding.

My FI and I own a house together and live together. We're both 37/39.

Do I need a shower? How do I decide? Do we do a registry just in case someone wants to buy something, but assume most people will bring cash?

Help!

7 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on February 5, 2018 at 20:49
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My mother and sister are throwing me a shower. My fiancé and I will have lived together nearly 6 years by the time our shower comes along (we’ll also be 31 and 32 when it occurs).

Culturally, monetary gifts are anticipated. There will be no registry for either the shower or the wedding just because it’s uncommon.

The shower will be a fun way to let loose and relax with those gals in my life who are there to celebrate my upcoming marriage.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You don't need to have a shower. It can be a nice time to get together with close friends. If you don't want gifts, you can suggest people bring a donation instead (my friend's wife did this: she asked people to bring baby items instead of gifts and donated them to a local charity).

As for the registry, most people give cash, but there are still some people who prefer gifts. If you wanted to register for a few items you could. I had a friend who didn't register anywhere, hoping people would give cash, but most people brought gifts anyway, and she ended up with a lot of duplicates. But, this was a very traditional crowd who prefer giving gifts over cash.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We'd been living together for almost 2 years when we got married. We made a registry so that we could upgrade certain items in our household and also to request a few things we had always wanted. I didn't want a shower as I feel it leaves out the groom too much (like most wedding things) so we had a joint wedding social event (bbq, games, hanging out).

• Tradingabyss
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Tradingabyss ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your bridesmaids would traditionally plan a shower, I want one because I want a low key day off to enjoy myself with my gfs before the wedding but you can request no gifts at the shower
  • Tradingabyss
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Tradingabyss ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We set up a registry because I know some people like to buy gifts so I would rather get something I want! But we’re also saying that we’re graciously accepting money gifts
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH and I have been living together for 2 years and I've been living on my own for about 10 years.. we really didn't need anything.

We had an engagement party and said no gifts, but his mum and grandmother REALLY wanted us to have a registry so we set it up with just a few items such as new bedding or towels. I didn't want a shower.. which upset his mum and grandmother again so I might have one now.. but I refuse to ask for gifts.

If I have a shower I'll ask everyone to bring me a favourite book as I'm an avid reader.

For the wedding, we do have a very small registry as it was important to some of our older guests, but really only included things we wanted. Otherwise we've told people we want to get our scuba certification so cash would be amazing lol.

• Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm 50 and my FH is 51, I just had my shower last Sunday, and it was so much fun. No I do not need much, we did receive lots of entertaining gifts, towels, and linens. It was nice for the ladies on his side and my side, to get to know each other. Have my friends get together and laugh and play silly games. I'm very happy that my bridal party put it together, and the food was terrific!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics