Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Michelle
Super September 2018 Alberta

Seating assignment dispute

Michelle, on January 31, 2018 at 15:06

Posted in Plan a wedding 42

Hi ladies, I have yet to send out invites will be going out late Feb/early March. But my mother has voiced her opinion on how she wants the guests to be sat and I DO NOT plan on going with her opinion. She didn't like that I disagreed with her idea and we are arguing about it. So as many ppl know...

Hi ladies,

I have yet to send out invites will be going out late Feb/early March. But my mother has voiced her opinion on how she wants the guests to be sat and I DO NOT plan on going with her opinion. She didn't like that I disagreed with her idea and we are arguing about it.

So as many ppl know when the dinner comes most ppl are mixed up you will be sitting with ppl you know and ppl you don't know. My mother says I HAVE TO SEAT EVERYONE TOGETHER: my cousins and aunts/uncles together. I told her no I won't be everyone will be split up within reason, there is language barrier so I said the ones that don't speak English will sit together but those that do speak English will be split up. She then says, "No you have the bride's side and the groom's side." I told her yeah during the ceremony but at dinner once the "I dos" have been said, we will be one big family. She then goes on with "You know this entire wedding you have been doing everything you want and we haven't said a word (that's a fat lie. She has voiced her opinion about pretty much everything), the least you could do is honor our wishes for this part."

She went as far to say "well if this is how you are doing it then you could call your cousins and ask their opinions." ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! That's too many opinions no I'm not calling them! They are adults they can learn to interact with other ppl (my youngest cousin is 18)!

I am so MAD! She clearly, even at this stage, does not approve of my choice of husband after these 5 years...have you ladies experienced this? How did you handle it?

42 Comments

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

AGREED! I'm doing interest, language barrier and age sort of split up. So it's not like I'm putting ppl together that don't have anything in common or one of my aunts/uncles that don't speak any English with a whole table that speaks English!

I have less drama than yours but OMG! Why is this so difficult?

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It amazes me what opinions come out during a wedding. before I was engaged I was like OH this is going to bring everyone together! But the amount of dumb arguments that have come from family is nuts.

First my mum was upset we weren't having a cake.

Then his mum was upset that I didn't ask my FSIL to be a bridesmaid (she's doing a reading however)

Then his mum was upset we wanted to do a cigar bar cause its "disgusting"

Then my mum was upset that we are just doing a BBQ for our rehearsal dinner.

Then his dad/step mum were upset that the step mum's mom isn't invited.

Then his mum was upset his dad was invited.

Now my dad is upset that he's not sitting with my cousins.. even though he's sitting with his best friends.

EVERYONE NEEDS TO CALM DOWN lol.

I think mixing things up within reason is good. I'm doing tables based on age mostly.. so like.. my aunts/uncle, my FH aunt/uncle and then some family friends (who are the same age) will be at a table. My cousins and step sisters will be at another table. Just worked out that way.

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

100% agreed! As they saying goes: "you can't please everyone" so at the very least I will ensure myself and my FH are happy at the end of the day as we are the ones getting married.

Besides I'm splitting them up for a couple hrs...not like they won't see each other EVER again....

I'm gonna need the luck haha

• Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's bad enough to have to try to seat people apart, that dont like eachother (I have that problem) but then to deal with the regular seating plan also, weddings are tough when family is involved. With our seating plan I have kept the warring sides apart, and I have also sat people together that dont know eachother, but have similiar interests, professions, and hobbies. My FHs friends and my family, my friends and his family, my coworkers with his coworkers, heavy partiers not all together at the same table (I dont need that trouble lol) I'm very happy with my plan, and the separation of everyone, I want everyone to enjoy themselves and have conversations, and meet interesting people. I hated High school Cliques, and I dont want them at my wedding.

Good Luck and stand your ground.

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha I tried...but she won't have it I discussed this with FMIL and she simply said when the time comes talk to your FSIL as she got married 2 yrs ago and she will give you pointers how to seat and who to seat with who. And FMIL said..."maybe avoid wedding talk with your own mother." I told her oh believe me I will be.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Then I'd tell her, in a nice way of course, to suck it! It's your wedding and you're going to plan it how you both want! And if you want to seat people a certain way then do that. It grinds my gears when family members think they can overstep and have a very opinionated opinion about wedding related things that REALLY shouldn't concern them. I'm glad we haven't had this happen. I'm sure that his mom will have some sort of comment though when we start the list.

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No she's paying for a portion photography ($3800) FH parents are giving us $10000 towards the wedding. The rest we are covering ourselves.

My mother won't listen to reason and why I'm doing what I'm doing....

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah my cousins like to stay in their tight little group they won't go up and interact with new ppl. She said "oh well if they want they can get up and interact with other ppl." I snapped and said have you met my cousins?

She is covering the photography $3800, FH parents are giving us $10,000 towards the wedding and the rest is on us. So we are covering the larger bulk of the cost for sure.

• Samantha
    Frequent user May 2019 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It’s your wedding, so do what you want! If your mother is paying for your entire wedding then I understand maybe feeling obligated to do what she wants, but at the same time, it is not her wedding. Sit down with her and voice your concerns!
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Who is paying for the wedding? Are you and your FH or is your mother?

Thankfully we haven't actually started the seating chart yet, but I'm with you and mixing people up so that everybody gets to meet each other.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics