Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Shannon
Curious July 2019 British Columbia

Quotes from venues?

Shannon, on June 16, 2018 at 20:40 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 24
Is anyone else having trouble getting quotes from venues? I've had a few really good experiences but mostly downright rudeness. Why are people so mean?

24 Comments

Latest activity by Shannon, on June 18, 2018 at 21:55
  • Shannon
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's a really good idea, thank you!
  • Shannon
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yup, oh well, their loss. Our wedding is going to be awesome
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had a lot of venues give me the runaround and I just had to be firm and make them give me an average cost per head for a wedding. Most wanted me to go in, create a custom menu, etc., but I wasn't about to waste my time going into venues that were out of my price range.

Just tell them that you need to know what their average price per head is so you aren't visiting venues that are unrealistic for you.

• B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I Guess it depends on their level of professionalism. It sounds like they don’t really want you there at their Venue if they are going to keep being rude. They should at least be able and willing to work with you.
  • Shannon
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    True enough, you'd think they'd behave professionally but going elsewhere is great to bring up Smiley smile
  • Shannon
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Definitely I think my future SIL was checking out that venue too, I think I'll warn her to stay away...
  • Shannon
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That makes sense, I'll add those to my venue question list Smiley smile
  • Shannon
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for sharing your experience, I'll remember that Smiley smile
  • Shannon
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh I really like that wording! Thank you!
  • Shannon
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I will Smiley smile thank you!
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If they're being rude, just tell them you'll go elsewhere. Guaranteed they want your business and will try to do what they can to win you over. It's not entirely ethical, but neither are they by the sounds of it!

Any good vendor or venue will try to bend over backward to make life easy for a couple planning a wedding. If they're not, they're not worth your time Smiley smile
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    “No I’m not doing that” that’s deplorable behaviour towards someone just asking for a rough idea to book a venue. Like be nice! It’s not hard! I would definitely stay away from that venue if that’s how the staff talk to people.
  • Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    They're afraid to tell you because it will be so expensive. I would ask specific questions, like what the cost per plate is with open bar vs without, with a served meal vs. a buffet. In the summer vs. winter etc. That way they can let you know specifics. I get that it's hard to give a direct answer, because there are so many variables with venue. Just be as direct as you can be Smiley smile
  • E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You know I want to say that how they responded to you now should be paid attention to. If they were rude and dismissive it says a lot about how easily they would be to work with. What you want is to deal with a venue that acts professional, you will be dealing with then a lot. A more professional response would have been to give you an idea of current prices, with a warning they could change. They should then offer an opportunity to visit the venue.

We had originally decided on one venue. We contacted the lady we were dealing with and told her we would like to book the venue. Then we made an appointment to drop by later that day. We figured she would have a contract ready. She didn’t. She just asked us a few questions, and was very vague with us as to what certain costs would be (such as a room rate for our guests, cost to do a hot choclate station etc). She said she would email us the contract by the end of the week. She never did. The next week my fiancé left a message for her, he got no response. I tried calling that Friday (a full week after when we were supposed to get the contract). She just made a comment about how the week had gotten away from her, and she would get it to us by the end of the day. When we got the contract it was just a generic contract with our names and the date. Nothing we had discussed was itemized on the contract. We were not happy and decided it was not a good sign. We then went with our pick that was a close second. the person we are dealing with their is amazing. I liked the ballroom at the other location better, but I’m so glad we changed our mind.

Remember you will be dealing with your contact at the venue a lot. So trust your gut.
  • Rosalyn
    Devoted August 2018 Alberta
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That’s crazy! We only had a few that were apprehensive about giving pricing, but most were good. We booked our venue a year and a half out so I don’t think you are crazy for asking for pricing now!

When I would send out a request, I would just say “hello, I am interested in your venue for our wedding. I realize that prices will change and increase before it comes time for our booking, but could you please send me the current price list to get a general idea of costs! Thanks!
  • Lyla
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Lyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yeah I wouldn’t be too pleased with their treatment either! Also wanted to say that it is always best to book your venue as much in advance as possible, booked mine 11 months in advance and there were only 2 days out of the July available! Busy month, I know, but it’s better safe than sorry! Because of my last minute decision I didn’t get to choose the day I wanted, stay stubborn and keep looking!
  • Shannon
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That makes sense, most of the venues I think I'll call back in a few months, but that one particular venue I'm completely striking off my list.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would think these venues would want your business! It can depend on the day they are having too. Sometimes people are rude because they have so much else going on and can't separate it from their job. You could try calling back another day. Or, as another poster suggested, give them a different year.

Part of it as well, could be that most venues increase their prices every year, or every couple years. It could be they don't want to book a couple years in advance because they want to be able to charge you the increased rate. If you book now, they have to give you the price they have now. If they raise their prices this year, and you book next year, they will be making more money. Not an excuse for their rudeness though!

• Shannon
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's a really good idea, I might just do that. Also I'm sorry your coworkers were so negative, perhaps they were more immature at their ages than you are at 20 Smiley winking
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow, that's insane! I've gotten rude treatment from some vendors as well - but at my age (20), I am used to people looking down at me or assuming that I can't afford them (also used to deal with lack of respect from coworkers at my last job because I had a higher title at a younger age then them).

As sad and frustrating as it is - I would recommend that you tell them a fake year? Tell them you are looking for Dec. 2018 Jan. 2019?

• Shannon
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I am expecting the prices to change some but FH and I are tight financially and are trying to get a ballpark range so we can figure out a plan for saving up. Some of the venues I'll call back in 6-8 months to try again but it's eye opening to see how outright awful people can be.
  • Joyann
    Curious July 2018 Ontario
    Joyann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow, that was really rude and definitely uncalled for. That said, even if venues give you general pricing now it will definitely change the closer you get to the wedding. Wedding packages always increase in price so it’s probably better to wait until closer to your wedding. You’re still a long way off. I started calling venues about a year out.
  • Shannon
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I called a really pretty venue I was looking at and said "hi there, I am wondering what your pricing and wedding packages are for ___ room and ___ room" she asked when the wedding was and I told her either December 2019 or January 2020. She very curtly said "we are only booking 2018" I said " oh okay, I was just hoping for a general quote, not an immediate booking" she said "no I'm not doing that" and immediately hung up.

That was the worst one but I've had similar reaponses from a couple venues that advertise that they do weddings.
  • E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    How are they rude?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics