Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Genis
Frequent user January 2019 Alberta

Photographer Hours

Genis, on March 14, 2018 at 08:59 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12
Hi all, we are just beginning to sift through lots of photographers we like. We aren’t sure how long we may need a photographer for. I’m thinking longer is better?
I would love to have getting easy photos & we are definitely lokkkng at doing a first look! WhAt would everyone recommend for photographer timing?

12 Comments

Latest activity by Becky, on March 20, 2018 at 18:54
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would say 6 minimum and we are doing a first look as well! Love the idea Smiley smile this is an hour of the last bit of me getting ready, wedding party photos separate, then first look and all wedding party photos, cermoney, during cocktail we will do all family, then photos of introductions of wedding party and us and right after first dance. Then she’s leaving. We have two photographers
  • Genis
    Genis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you all so much for your replies!

I am starting to become quite overwhelmed with the planning process but so thankful for this website & everyone on it!

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Full day. Getting ready to our dances/cake cutting. It really depends what you want and where your from as well as budget. It took me 2-3 weeks to sift through everything from our local Facebook wedding group in Winnipeg, MB. I finally found someone that included 3 photographers for $2000.00 including taxes for all day. We didn't need our engagement photo shoot so it cost us less and than there was mileage so it ended up being 1950.00. Some people though are really high or didn't suit our needs or likes and that really depends on what you want. And you need someone who you can work with based on you not them. We still are trying to figure out the deposit situation as they don't take credit card and our money is tied up in a business deal at the moment but at least they are patient.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Every photographer will offer packages based on hours. We had 12 hours of a full day. Started with getting ready all the way through reception
  • Rosalyn
    Devoted August 2018 Alberta
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing 10 hours as we are having first look photos (in a helicopter) and I want to get some photos with my girls before the ceremony! This way she is there for all the important stuff without feeling rushed!
    if you are planning on Canmore/banff you should look into Paisley Photography - she’s amazing and has tons of experience in Canmore/banff area as well as doesn’t charge for her accommodations because she has friends that live there!!
  • Genis
    Genis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you all for your input! Lynnie, thank you for pointing me in the right direction, just getting used to finding my way around the website!!

We are very lucky that the whole wedding will be in the same place, maybe a small bit of walking/shuttling to locations for photographs but shouldn't be too much travel time! I suppose my brain is all over the place in how to plan this wedding & where to start! haha

thank you all again for your input! really appreciate it!

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Genis! Do you know how long your ceremony and reception will be? Start to fill in those big pieces in your timeline and add any transportation time in around it. This will start to give you an idea of the hours you need!

Also this community discussion has a bunch of comments that you should check out:

All about wedding photography - How many hours of photography do you need?
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m doing the same. 11am-9pm. That way there will be some getting ready photos but I don’t need a ton and some of the reception
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

8 - 10 hours seems to be fairly standard but it depends what you are looking for.

I'm similar to some of the other girls that I don't care about 'getting ready' photos and I also don't really care about drunken dance floor photos. So we went with an 8 hour photographer as our ceremony/cocktail hour and reception are all right after each other.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We got a 10 hour package as well which will cover most of our day. He will be with us from 11-9 which covers most of the important stuff!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Agree with Tatiana! It really depends on your needs and wants from your photographer throughout the day.

We’re only doing 8 hours because we don’t care about a “getting ready” photos, but a friend of mine who is also engaged wouldn’t miss those pictures for the world.
  • Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing a 10 hour package since we are starting our day around noon since our ceremony is late in the day. That seemed like a good amount of time where catch us getting ready, first look and well into reception. My friend did 8 hours because she didn't mind not having so many reception shots, so it depends what you want to capture on the day Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics