Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Christina
Frequent user August 2023 Ontario

Paying for the venue

Christina, on February 5, 2018 at 05:33 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 22
Hi everyone just wondering how venues work... When you finally find one how does paying for it work. Are you expected to pay for it in full or installments? Or do you have to put half down?? Thanks

22 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on February 6, 2018 at 11:02
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We paid a $1000 deposit to hold the date for us, which will go towards the rental fee. The rest is due within a week after the wedding.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh yes! Write everything in the calendar!

• Summer
    Devoted May 2019 Ontario
    Summer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My venue put a hold on our date and if someone requests that date we have 3 days to pay the 50% deposit. To book, they require a 50% deposit and the rest is due 3 days before.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our venue at the time had 3 payment dates. Deposit $1000. Six month is was $2500 and 90% 2 weeks before the event. The bakance was due 10 days after the event.
  • Kat
    Curious September 2018 Manitoba
    Kat ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Best Western Plus on Wellington in Winnipeg
  • Phania
    Beginner October 2019 Quebec
    Phania ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh wow... that's quite good. Which venue is that?
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Exactly! I suggest writing the due dates of the payments down in your calendar so you don’t forget.
  • Elizabeth
    Frequent user June 2018 New Brunswick
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had to pay just under a third of the price for our venue. We have a sweet farm venue, our down payment was $500

• Kat
    Curious September 2018 Manitoba
    Kat ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have to pay 1500 deposit and our package price for a wedding with 63 guests came to 6300 with reception, open bar, DJ, our room, 3 course meal, wine at all tables, decor, linens etc.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It depends on the venue!

Our venue had a deposit of $1000/$1600 has a deposit on the venue and the rest is due 2 weeks before the wedding and we have been slowly chipping away at it since then.

My friend's venue requested 75% of the cost as a deposit and the rest was due 4 weeks before the wedding date.

Yet another friend did 50% of the cost as a deposit, 25% 3 months prior to the wedding and the remaining 25% two weeks before the wedding.

• Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks, I freaked a little lol
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had to pay a $1000 deposit and then we have to pay it within a few days after the wedding.

• Jackie
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are boke at the Cambridge Butterfly Conservatory and they require $1000 deposits to hold your date. Then $1500 in 30 days and then two more payments before the wedding. All must be paid before the wedding.
  • Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No worries! If you don't hit send it doesn't go through.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Each venue will vary greatly as everyone had said.

My venue we had to pay $1,000 deposit upon booking but don't need to pay ANYTHING else until 3 days prior to the wedding. It's up to us if we give them smaller amounts throughout the year.

Ask every venue you see if they do payment plans as some may do it even if not offered up front.

• Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Joey, I hit the dispute button by accident, I'm on my cell and it's right there on the right side. So if something comes up about a dispute I'm sorry and it was an accident. I didn't hit send, and closed everything out, but you never know if it did go through or not.
  • Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Christina! Like everyone said, it'll vary from venue to venue. This is an important question to ask each venue you're considering. Usually there will be a deposit required to reserve your date, and usually the final payment will be due close to your wedding date, but read your contract carefully! However, it's very very rare to see a venue that expects you to pay in full up front.

• Amelia
    Curious October 2018 Nova Scotia
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    They vary. I think for a majority of places you put down a deposit to hold your booking and then you pay the rest the day before or day of the event.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it all depends on the venue. Every venue has their own policy so you should ask them at the visits so that you are not shocked.

• Jen889
    Devoted May 2018 Quebec
    Jen889 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It depends the venue. We had to put half down as a deposit and give them a post dated cheque for the remainder. The post dated cheque gets taken out 5 months before the wedding. So for us, it got taken out in January
  • Jamie
    Frequent user September 2018 Alberta
    Jamie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For our venue we put a 1000.00 deposit down to secure our date.
    50% is due 60 days prior to our wedding and the remaining 50% is due 7 days prior!
  • Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    At the venue we booked we paid for the facility renewal and then everything else is do 45 days before. I think it really depends on the place though! Some do deposit fees of a certain percentage or at some golf courses they will do a save the date fee to lock it in place.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics