Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emilie
Featured Quebec

Limited bar or open bar?

Emilie, on October 10, 2016 at 05:18 Posted in Wedding reception 0 56

Hey future newlyweds Smiley ring

A party with or without alcohol is still a party... but how much will you actually invest in your guests' drinking... that's another question Smiley winking

How much alcohol will be served at your wedding?

A. Drinks only served with meal

B. Limited bar

C. Open bar

D. A + B

E: A + C

Next question >> Will you get married at night or during the day?

Limited bar or open bar?

Image: Pinterest

56 Comments

Latest activity by Matilda, on September 25, 2023 at 17:59
  • Matilda
    Frequent user June 2025 Ontario
    Matilda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We won’t be serving alcohol at our wedding
  • Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Open bar beginning from cocktail hour with wine table service at dinner - this was important to us.

• Catherine
    Beginner October 2023 New Brunswick
    Catherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A. Drinks only served with meal
  • N
    Curious June 2023 Ontario
    Nelly+Raquel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    C we will have an open bar
  • Stephanie
    Frequent user February 2024 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Limited bar I think
  • July
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    July ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    C - unlimited open bar & two bottles of wine on each table as well.
  • Nelly
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Nelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having a limited open bar. The bar will be closed during our cocktail hour only signature drinks will be served. Also during dinner only wine and beer will be served.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Unlimited, open bar - wine will be on the tables as well for those who want it.

• Nelly
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Nelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will be having an unlimited bar but wine and beer will be served with our meal

• Jessica
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have open bar with wine still being served at dinner! But cash bar up until the reception starting.
  • Talita
    Frequent user January 2018 Ontario
    Talita ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

B - Limited Bar

• Brittany
    Beginner August 2017 Ontario
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Mine will be A. and C. There's an open bar before and after the meal, but during the meal the bar is closed and wine is served at the table.

• Ivyo13
    Curious August 2018 Ontario
    Ivyo13 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A. and C.

For dinner, each guest is allotted 2 glasses of wine. Afterwards, it is a host bar / open bar (for our guests) throughout the dancing part of the night!

• Tina
    Devoted February 2018 Ontario
    Tina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

C: Open bar it is included with the venue

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our wedding is on private property so we are supplying all the alcohol for our wedding. We both agreed from the beginning that open bar was not an option. It could lead to a waste of money and alcohol and lots of sloppiness at the guest level. We decided that it would be best to do a cash bar. We will be giving out some drink tickets to be used during the appetizers/cocktail hour, offering wine at dinner and then anything else will be cash. Any non-acoholic beverages will be free. I think this offers a nice balance for the guests and the hosts.

• C
    Newbie October 2021 Quebec
    Clarisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

C Ideally Open Bar!

• Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That is such a cool idea to do a tasting! I'd love to go to a wedding like that! It's definitely tough trying to deal with the wine left over! And as a guest, I've been to a few weddings where we did actually drink all our wine but the table next to us didn't and you feel awkward asking people you don't know "are you going to drink that?" but like you said, it's been opened so you don't want it to go to waste!

We decided to do drink tickets instead of doing bottles of wine for the table because we wanted it to be as fair as possible. We didn't want to do a "hosted amount" either because some people might have 5 drinks before someone else has 1. From what we heard, no one ended up having to buy drinks and the leftover drink tickets were spread around!

Valerie had mentioned doing a drink ticket bowl so that people could put their extra tickets there and they'd be up for grabs for whoever wanted another drink.

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The wine shouldn't go to waste! I'm not sure what a standard policy is everywhere....but recently my sister's venue left the wine out unitl they were empty, and even then the few bottles that weren't drained were kept at the bar and served complimentry ( without requiring a drink ticket to be traded in). If you ahve already paid for them, heck no it shouldn't be wasted! Has your venue said what would happen to wine after dinner?

I think offering drink tickets is ideal- 6.25 is a pricey drink to charge guests...and I think it is great you are being considerate of them this way! The wine/whiskey tasting sounds pretty cool too- is your venue a distillery, or are you just extra creative?

• Jess
    Curious September 2017 Alberta
    Jess ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is our struggle as well. Drinks at the venue are $6.25, which I think is crazy to ask guests who travel to pay the full price. We are thinking about doing a complimentary whiskey tasting (or wine tasting) for our guests while the family and bridal party are out getting photos done. I think we will also give a few drink tickets perhaps, but after that leave it up to the guest. I can't decide!

Another question on this, wine on the tables or not? I have no problem supplying table wine, but I hate how much table wine goes to waste. I can't stand to waste wine!!!! ha! Does anyone have any ideas?!

• Cassandra
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Cassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Open Deluxe Bar ! Smiley xd

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're much more understanding... and polite HAHA! My family LOVES the honeymoon fund (and not fake, oh that sounds cool), I love travelling and value experiences and they know that about me... it's not the devil!

Oh right I forgot your wedding was so close!!!! You could probably easily print them yourselves at home (I could make you a template to print if you wanted some help), but still might be a bit too much work so close. I'm sure you've got PLENTY on your plate left to do... so exciting though!

Glad you like the idea! I know I'm not a big drinker and if I didn't know many people I would feel weird asking around if someone wanted 1 or 2 of my 3 (gotta have at least 1 Smiley winking )

• Samtam
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You Canadian brides are the best! I am also doing a Honeymooonfund (GASP) in addition to a regular registry and surprisingly my family has embraced it and not disowned me. Smiley winking

We are not printing custom tickets but that's a great idea! If we'd known sooner that we were going to do tickets, I would have looked into that. I like the idea of the "up for grabs." We're hoping that people will give them to other guests if they're not going to use them but the bowl would be a great way to do that.

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

HAHA oh don't you worry, there are a few of us that didn't talk about our plans on the US forums, or even bother using them anymore because of the backlash (I'm doing a honeyfund, SHHH). It's a safe place here, feel free to tell us all your "US wedding don't s"

Are you printing up some custom tickets? I think that would be cute! Plus some people drink more than others... maybe put a glass or a bowl on the tables with an "up for grabs" drink ticket bowl. That way people that don't want their tickets can just throw them in and not feel the need to ask around if anyone wants them.

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Isn't it funny how the expectation changes when you cross the boarder? I think it has a lot to do with the higher liquor costs in Canada- but I know people are rarely offended by cash or partial bars here. It is pretty well accepted in the middle class!

I am also very steadfast in my opinion that no couple should go into undue debt for their wedding- guests are entitled to a good time, but theya re there to show love and support to the couple, not take advantage!

On that note- it sounds like you are offering plenty of opportunity to your guests to get a good glow on for free Smiley winking

• Samtam
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were planning on doing a cash bar but once we got our final guest count we had WAY LESS people than we were expecting and a food and beverage minimum to meet so we will be providing some alcohol for our guests. We're going to give each guest 3 drink tickets and then we will also provide champagne for toasts. Anything else will be cash. (Don't tell the American forums! Haha)

• Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have 2 bottles of wine per table for the guests! We Will be having a cash bar for everyone as we don't want people getting too hammered! We have talked about giving out some drink tickets for some free alcohol but we aren't sure yet if we will be doing this.

• A
    Curious August 2017 Alberta
    Ami Stensrud ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    None of the above. We both have family that do not need to have any alcohol around and we don't drink ever. He has maybe 3 beers a YEAR and that's not even all at once.... we'll have juice and pop and water but that's it.
  • Natalee
    Newbie May 2020 Ontario
    Natalee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm thinking the same
  • Victoria
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're going to have a dry wedding

• Maly
    Maly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hahaha!! Me too!
  • Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Which is ideal!

And to be honest- wine with dinner and 3 drinks- I'd be half in the bag anyway.

• Maly
    Maly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Smiley winking plus you can keep things in budget!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics