Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hank
Featured September 2021 Ontario

How many grooms actually picked their own outfit?

Hank, on June 10, 2021 at 09:55 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 48
Like the title says. The reason I ask is because I'm seeing A LOT of discussion on Facebook groups where the women are picking out the groom's outfit. I realize there's a lack of gents on this forum but for the ladies, I'm curious: how much of the groom's outfit was picked out independently from your input vs put together based on your desires/influence.

48 Comments

Latest activity by Alexis, on June 17, 2021 at 02:41
  • Alexis
    Devoted July 2021 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was a bit pushy because he wasn’t looking happy or excited with his first pick. I said he should go to a store that we both learned about to see if they could do it better. And we went there and he picked a black suit colour and style and everything that he wanted. He got it tailored and is very excited about it. I’m looking forward to seeing him in it. We brought colour swatches for the wedding colours and he picked out suits for the groomsmen in a charcoal colour.
  • Jasmine
    Frequent user July 2022 Ontario
    Jasmine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Its okay cuz weddings are more special to the bride so he will agree to wear whar i tell him to wear. he also is not a very fashionable person and i want to make sure we match

• Caitlyn
    Frequent user September 2021 Alberta
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Just green accessories!
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ya I totally agree the guys should feel comfortable in what they wear and definitely should have a say but I might have come off as a little snarky...didn't mean that part 😉
  • Brittany
    Devoted December 2022 Yucatán
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hm, I see a lot of Pinterest and photos of the Suit being a darker color of the wedding like the Navy Blue and Burgundy weddings for fall/winter and the groomsmen's and the groom are usually wearing those two colors or a black.

• Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh yeah, it was ridiculous. We were both so totally pissed at that. We did not notice the duty cost and did not want to pick it up to begin with because of that. You can only communicate with then through the app and message. We are so over it and learnt about ordering from ASOS. Never again!
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooof, that's a major drawback from ordering on ASOS: the duty and return costs. Can't believe they won't waive the return when they sent you the wrong size though. That's a scam in my book.

• Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah, we were able to choose a great option as my sister was able to assist.

Oh my fiancé is a very stubborn individual. Hahaha. He refused to return it since we had to pay duty in the amount of $86 or so and return cost $28 or such. He did not mind doing all the breaking down to redo. So, he took it to get it altered a few days ago (for about $89-$100) and we’ll go check it out tomorrow. I hope it turns out well. Wish my eyes luck, hahaha
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We do have a tip top here! Thanks for the advice!
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you have a Tip Top Tailor in your area, try there. They're the corporate owner of Mr Big and Tall and George Richards Big and Tall so they might have stock for larger sizes (and if not, they can order it in).

They're currently doing a blowout sale on suits for $150. They're not the greatest but are comparable to what you would be able to rent at Moores for $200. I see sizes up to 50 Tall for certain suits.

• Liberty
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'll definitely have to do some more research/cost comparison closer to when we're ready to make a choice on suits!
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I personally don't think that will be an issue but I know you're in a smaller town, which might affect stock and selection. Worst case scenario, your fiance's brother can rent his if he can't find anything.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

To be fair, it's also his special day. If he agreed to the pink suit then sure but I hope you're not denying him the opportunity to provide his own input on an outfit that he'll be wearing on what is as equally a special a day to him as it is to you.

• Liberty
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I originally was going to find a suit on sale for the groomsmen but my Fiancés step dad was saying his brother might have problems with buying a suit because of his size (he's a bigger guy) but I don't actually know how much truth there is to that.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My fiancee haven't seen my tuxedo either. She knows it's a black tux but have no idea how I accessorized it. Our outfits will be a complete surprise for each other on the day of.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just a suggestion but I would look out for suit sales for the gents before going the rental route. It's one thing if they rent tuxedos since they're not as commonly worn and would be a bit of an investment for a one-off piece but pretty much every man needs a suit for something in his life. You can often find suits for sale at the same price as rentals and being able to alter a purchased suit to each individual body shape will make a huge difference compared to a rental where they won't want to make certain alterations because they want to be able to revert the suit back to the next renter who may be a different shape.

For example, a suit rental at Moores is around $200, and you can definitely find a suit at The Bay of equal quality for that price.

Just some food for thought.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey, it's his day as well and he might as well own it, right?

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I meant I agree with your original statement. If my fiancee tried to dictate what I wear, I would feel like a kid getting dressed by his mom. And like you said, it would be weird but surprisingly, I see that quite a bit on the FB groups.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Right on! Too bad he wasn't able to surprise you with the look on the big day but hey, at least he took initiative and you're happy with the result!

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    😆 I think that might have come out wrong. However I think he will make the best choice for what he likes. I love the tux he wants, it will suit him well.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's awesome! And so great that he's able to infuse some of his family history into his outfit.

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's hard to tell in photos but the lining and underskirt are a muted pink colour. It's much more noticeable in person but it's still more subtle than a lot of blush/pink dresses.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, someone in their 20s and beyond should know how to dress themselves or at least find the proper resources to figure it out.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's fair. Not all men are into or are knowledgeable in business/formal wear but hopefully he has some guys in his life that can give some pointers.

Don't alter the suit. Send it back for a refund or exchange. Trust me, you can't fix a suit that's 10 sizes too big without completely breaking it down and redoing it, which will cost you just as much to buy a whole new suit.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Is your dress pink? There's no way I would've thought that based on the photos.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Did he end up getting a green suit or green accessories?

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Right on! How did it look on the big day? Any pictures to show?

• Liberty
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So far based on a catalogue. He hasn't tried any on yet but hes also considering getting a custom suit for himself and going with rentals for the groomsmen
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The suit colour doesn't usually factor into the wedding colours but if you made it work for you, then awesome!

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Did you pick these based on an online catalogue or were they something your fiance tried on?

• Jasmine
    Frequent user July 2022 Ontario
    Jasmine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I pick my grooms suit and the groomsman suit because since its the brides special day and this way the vision will match. im trying to find a affordable pink suits for the groom and groomsman so he can match the wedding color and bridesmaid

• T
    Curious May 2022 Alberta
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Mine has a very distinct and unique vision for his outfit, he might look hideous when it all comes together but whatever makes him happy lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics