Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hank
Featured September 2021 Ontario

How many grooms actually picked their own outfit?

Hank, on June 10, 2021 at 09:55

Posted in Wedding fashion 48

Like the title says. The reason I ask is because I'm seeing A LOT of discussion on Facebook groups where the women are picking out the groom's outfit. I realize there's a lack of gents on this forum but for the ladies, I'm curious: how much of the groom's outfit was picked out independently from...
Like the title says. The reason I ask is because I'm seeing A LOT of discussion on Facebook groups where the women are picking out the groom's outfit. I realize there's a lack of gents on this forum but for the ladies, I'm curious: how much of the groom's outfit was picked out independently from your input vs put together based on your desires/influence.

48 Comments

• Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I won't say I had nothing to do with it because I did find the company he's ordering his custom suit from. Though my husband is picking all the elements of his outfit himself.

For his side of the wedding party I'm having more say because he just doesn't really care what they wear

• Gift
    Frequent user October 2021 Alberta
    Gift ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My Fiancé picked every details on his custom suit from the colour to the buttons. We went together and I’m very pleased with his choice 🥰
  • Kim
    Devoted June 2022 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH picked out everything for himself and the groomsmen (besides their ties, which will match the bridesmaids). In all honesty, he has way better style than me and knows what looks good on himself. He showed me a couple different options and I didn't see the differences!

He also has not told me what he's decided on, so it will be a surprise for me to see him as well. Smiley smile

• Megan
    Frequent user July 2023 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I definitely want my fiancé to pick his own stuff. I will give him a few color options I'd like him to stick with to match our colors but other than that I will let him go nuts! I want him to pick something he feels good in. If he wants my input then I will help but ultimately it's going to be up to him!

• Jenelle
    Curious July 2023 Alberta
    Jenelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Such a great question! My fiancé is very proud of his Scottish heritage, and so he (and his groomsmen - also mostly all Scottish) will be wearing kilts. Was entirely his own idea, the tartan and colours are his family’s tartan, so knowing that it meant a great deal to him to be able to do that, I just picked my bridesmaids’s colours to complement, and we went from there! I really appreciated that he had his own input and it makes me happy that he will be able to wear something that is special and important to him on our wedding day. He did ask for my input on bits and pieces of his outfit, such as which sporran I liked and on all of the other good accessories that go along with a kilt, but the outfit itself was entirely his own choosing!
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I gave the brochure for the men's suits tuxes to FH after the wedding show I went to. He asked if he should get a suit or tux. I told him to pick what he liked and I'd make it work. He picked what he liked and I love the tux he chose. I just couldn't see myself telling a grown man what to wear I guess lol.
  • Amanda
    Curious September 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My finacé is going to be picking his suit out. Our bridesmaids dresses are burgundy and I told him I don’t care what colour he and the guys wear as long as they have burgundy in their ties/bow ties and pocket squares.
  • Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh I like that response Liberty!
    However, for my fiancé, he would be stuck and have no idea what to do. Hahaha. I had to be on him to look into his suits options. Due to Covid situation of course 🤦🏽‍♀️ We bought it online at ASOS and the vest and blazer came in and is HUGE!! 😢😢 Instead of a 42, they sent a 52! The agony, as they do not have a number to call and they are taking forever to respond to our email. We will have to alter it. Also, he refuses to see the dress I am wearing as he believes in the meaning behind it.
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've always thought it was kinda strange that traditionally the groom isn't supposed to see the brides outfit before the big day but the bride picks out the grooms outfit so I wanted him to have as much control over his outfit as possible and I dont wanna know what his final choice is!
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm pretty sure my husband told me he wanted to wear his kilt before we were even engaged haha. He owned a lot of what he wore - his kilt, shoes, all of the traditional parts of the outfit. We picked out his jacket, shirt, and tie together. I think had he just picked out everything himself he would have ended up with a very different outfit because he wanted to match everything to his kilt which would have resulted in an all blue outfit for him and a slightly pinky outfit for me - not the vibe I was going for hahaha. So it was mostly him with some gentle prodding from me with certain aspects of the outfit.

• Caitlyn
    Frequent user September 2021 Alberta
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I told him our colour was Hunter Green, and that was about all I said in regards to his outfit. I trust him and he has decent style so I had zero fears about what he would pick out. His best man sent me a photo of what they decided to go with (which was an oops, as my Hubby originally didn't want me to see) and it was a perfect choice that compliments his style and I'm so excited to see him on our big day!
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Everything was 100% his decision. It didn't feel right to dictate what he had to wear since it's his day just as much as mine and I wanted him to feel his best on our wedding day.
  • Brittany
    Devoted December 2022 Yucatán
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is a really great question because sometimes the bride can be a bit too particular with choosing the suit/tux for the groom and the groomsmen, so what my fiancé and I are doing is we have picked out our wedding colors and I let him pick a Navy Blue of his choice (he also chose part of the wedding colors and decided he wants to wear a navy blue suit), trust me there are so many kinds of navy blue out there and what ever color he chose is going to be the color of the suit/tux of his choice and what he decides what the groomsmen are wearing.

Of course I know that for a place to have a specific blue is probably going to be impossible because they don't have a huge variety like a paint store with the color tabs, but this way we can stick closest to our colors when we hand them over to our florist for when they make arrangements and other items we may need to get that we would want with our color scheme.

I want to be able to have my future husband show his personality and his tastes for all things wedding because it is a celebration of OUR relationship.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When we do go and look for suits, we will be going together and picking them out together. He already knows what color and such just trying to find the style he wants for him and his brother

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So far my Fiancé and I have picked out like 5-6 options we both like but he gets the final pick which one he wears! He also has the final pick on what his groomsmen wear. I have picked the tie for the groomsmen but thats it.
  • Sara
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We went together to pick it out. I told him I didn't care what colour or style suit it was, as long as I could pick the bowtie. So the bowtie is pretty much all I picked out, he did the rest.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics