Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Becky
VIP September 2019 Ontario

How long will you be engaged when you get married?

Becky, on April 23, 2019 at 08:59 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 50

Will you have a short period of time form engagement to wedding? Will you have a few years until your married? What were some factors that came into play with how long your engagement will be?

Mine will be a year and a half time we get married. We got engaged Feb 17, 2018. We were going to wait until 2020 and decided on 2019. We will be engaged 1 year and 6 months.

Some factors were venue, kids, grandparents.

50 Comments

Latest activity by Amelia, on October 25, 2019 at 19:09
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I feel the same way! So far planning has gone so smoothly that I think I could pull off planning a much sooner wedding. For now I'm trying to slow down and enjoy this beautiful phase of our relationship! (I also am really enjoying all the attention of people asking wedding planning questions and being called "the bride" so I'll savor that instead of rushing)
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got engaged in September and are getting married on October 2, 2020 so just over a year long engagement.

We've been together for ten years, so I didn't want a super long engagement!
  • Eden
    Frequent user August 2021 British Columbia
    Eden ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

18 months! Was originally only going to be 16 but we bumped the date down 2 months.

• M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    5 weeks from when we decided to get married to when we will get married.
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We got engaged december 2018 and wedding is august 2020 so just over a year and a half!

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm terrible I don't remember the day we got officially engaged. It's been years.
  • Katelyn
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got engaged Thanksgiving day 2018 and will be married October 5th 2019. So a little over a year.
  • Sadia
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Sadia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    14 months! My FH wanted a very short engagement (6 months) but then he realized how far in advance we needed to book vendors, so we decided next summer! We’re very lucky to have our parents paying for our wedding otherwise we would have pushed it to 2021 after seeing how expensive a wedding costs.
  • Merissa
    Newbie September 2051 Ontario
    Merissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Got engaged December 8th 2019 and getting married this September 14th 2019!! Smiley smile So only 9 months to plan but luckily we are having a smaller wedding with less then 90 people. Our date was one of the last ones available at our dream venue and it’s exactly 5 years from our first date (like it was almost meant to be)
  • K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got engaged in October 2015 and will be getting married in a month... so about 3.5 years. I was pregnant when we got engaged then we decided to have a 2nd baby... I wanted to wait until they were both old enough to take part (aka not newborns).
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We planned on having a 1 year engagement but we ended up doing a 2 year engagement because our venue was booked for the date we wanted the following year.

We just wanted our wedding to be a weekend in May but not the holiday weekend.

• Melissa
    Curious September 2020 British Columbia
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We got engaged on November 24, 2018 and will get married on September 12, 2020 - so almost 22 months.

I always knew I wanted to have a long engagement to make planning less stressful. Some days we definitely feel like it's sooo far away, but it gives us lots of opportunity to book our favourite vendors and save up money!

• Kaitlyn
    Beginner August 2020 New Brunswick
    Kaitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

19 months! I had never considered whether I wanted a long or short engagement but this is the best plan financially and helps our out-of-town friends and family make advance plans! Somedays I wish we were getting married next weekend and somedays I think 16 months is so soon haha but I'm sure it will fly by.

• Tiffany
    Frequent user August 2023 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    2.5 years. We wanted a long engagement as we just bought a house! A house and a wedding the same time wouldn’t be our ideal plan
  • Caitlin
    Curious May 2019 Ontario
    Caitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    14 months!! It was supposed to be 14 months to the day but I had to change my wedding date which I’m super upset about
  • Kirsten
    Frequent user October 2025 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will be 4 months short of 4 yrs. Not my ideal but I'm in school so it was definitely a money thing. We got engaged Feb 19th/18 and we will get married Oct 14/21.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    10 months. I didn’t want a long engagement.
  • Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will be engaged for two years when we get married. We got engaged on June 9, 2018 and will be getting married on June 20, 2020. We decided on two years just because it gave us more time to save for everything.

• Chelsea
    Newbie August 2020 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our Engagement was on sept. 15th 2018 and our wedding date is August 8, 2020. I’m loving having time to relax and take things day by day. Just recently started buying gifts for the bridal party.
  • Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thats different but nice! I am sure it will all work out and yes planning longer also gives you more time to save or if anything comes up time to figure more out.

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ahh school would be a huge factor for sure! Thats really sweet of you for your friends as well.

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't think its rushing things! I would have rather had a shorter wedding- just couldn't financially.

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's great! Meaningful day for you

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aww congratulations on the little one! Sounds like it will work out perfect for you

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Just under 2 years. We got engaged June 18, 2017 and get married June 1st of this year. We didn't want more than 2 years and we didn't want less than a year and a half. We wanted as much time as possible to plan, plus we wanted to start a family beforehand so we wanted so make sure our baby wasn't too young at the wedding. It will worked out, just under 2 years and our son will be 6½ months old!
  • Marissa
    Expert August 2019 Ontario
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It will be exactly one year to the day. We knew we wanted to get married on our anniversary, so he proposed August 11, 2018 and we will get married August 11, 2019.
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will be engaged for nine months. We really didn't want to wait a full year, and the summer was out of the question, so we just decided to go ahead with it. Everyone told us we were rushing things, but we recently discussed that, and how surprised we were at the kind of negative reactions we got, and we both agreed we are so happy we didn't listen to anyone.

• Taya
    Curious September 2020 Alberta
    Taya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We got engaged Febuary 2019 and are getting Married September 2020. So we will be engaged about 1.5 years. A little less than the amount of time we have been dating!

• Monique
    Devoted August 2020 Saskatchewan
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We got engaged in February 2019 and will be getting married in late September 2020 so a year and 7 months. There were quite a few reasons to wait for us, such as I graduate in December so I want to focus on university, we need time to save haha, our friends had gotten engaged in October and we didn’t want to step on their toes, and we want to enjoy the time we are engaged ☺️

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Engaged January 20,2019. Wedding Date is October 11,2020. So about 21 months. Kind of reason was wanting to get married on October 11, and this year it is a Friday so in 2020 a Sunday wedding sounds better (holiday weekend). Mostly though it just gave us lots of time to save up for the wedding and plan it out etc. We have only been together 2.5 years so not a huge rush to move onto the next chapter either Smiley smile

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A grand total of 29 months. We got engaged April 2017 and are getting married September 2019. We weren't in a rush to get married, so we just took our time to decide what we truly wanted and where we wanted it to happen. Once we decided to get married close to our hometown, we pushed the date back a bit, to alleviate some of the stress.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our engagement will be a week shy of 2 years lol! We got engaged October 26, 2017 and getting married October 19, 2019.

We wanted to wait for 2019 since planning from a distance, we wanted the extra planning time. There was also a lot of family events happening in 2018 so we decided to skip that year.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics