Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kacy
VIP February 2019 Quebec

How far is too far for guests to travel for a wedding ceremony/reception?

Kacy, on January 21, 2017 at 08:45 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 11
Hello everyone! David and I are pretty much at the beginning of our planning journey, so we're starting off looking at possible venues that are offer all-inclusive packages, or buffet, seated dinner packages, VS. trying to find a cheap venue to rent and bringing in our own catering/beverages. Our budget for this part is quite tiny(ex. 4500$ including 15% tax and hopefully "15%tip as seems to be the requirement) and our guest list is big in comparison (112-115 estimated people that would come). Smiley ups
We live in Montreal, but are exploring options outside of the city to see if we could possibly find something that fits our budget and pleases us and at the same time has lodging. In your opinions, how far (ex. Hours of driving) is too far for us to ask guests to travel? What is the furthest you've ever travelled (by car) to get to a wedding and how did you feel about it then? Was it annoying, not a big deal, etc?
Any other advice?
Thank you in advance!!!
For my French-speaking fellow brides- n'hésitez pas à m'écrire en français si ça vous mets plus à l'aise! Smiley heart

11 Comments

Latest activity by Emilie, on January 23, 2017 at 08:07
  • Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Kacy! That's such a great question! You know you can also post in French in the Quebec group. There are a few francophones here also like Valerie, Becca in the community. Smiley heart I would love for you to meet each other and the other Quebec brides!

À la recherche d'une fleuriste

Couples getting married on 9/September/2017 in Quebec

Qui sont les futures mariées de 2017 au Québec?

Are you having your wedding in Montreal or outside the city?

• Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone!!! Smiley laugh Smiley heart

• Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ours is at most an hour drive for guests in Ontario but we have almost 100 people coming from Montreal and they are commuting 6 hours!
  • Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Bonjour! I think a couple hours is fine. I live in Los Angeles where everything is at least an hour away so it's pretty standard for us. And if they're not comfortable driving at night after the wedding, I'm sure they could find a reasonable hotel room for the night.

• Louise
    Devoted September 2017 Quebec
    Louise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You could always lower your guest count. Yeah, unfortunately weddings are super expensive. If you wanted to save money you could look at having your wedding on a Friday or a Sunday also. Most places will charge you less.
    Good luck, we are all here for you if you need advice or questions.
  • Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are getting married in NB, his family and half of mine live in NS and my dad's family live in Quebec so the majority of our guests will have a 4 to 12 hour drive... Choosing my parents home town made sense to us financially and logistically, you have to do what is right for you.
  • Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Kacy!

My wedding is between a 1 hour drive and a 4 hour drive for our guests (and a few that live 10 mins away). My guests were all so spread out that they would have mostly needed to travel a good amount anyways.

• Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yep, that is what I have found as well. I know our budget is pretty small and probably unrealistic unfortunately... Basically I'm trying to gather as many quotes and information before breaking the news to the fiancé! Smiley atonished I suggested eloping, he was not down lolAnd our direct family would be upset Smiley ups
  • Louise
    Devoted September 2017 Quebec
    Louise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would say max 1-1.5 hours away, As long as you give your guests a heads up before the invites are sent. Don't expect all guests to come if you have a venue far away unless you could organise transport for all your guests.
    I just want to let you know that $4500 is a tiny budget and I don't think you will find many places that will give you catering and a venue for $4500! I am from Montreal and all the caterers I contacted charged $45 pp just for food. You have to be realistic and if that is your true budget, you may have to reduce your guest count.
    I am getting married in Rigaud and just the service charge is almost $2k!
  • L
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Bonjour! (And that's sadly through extent of my francais).
    I think that if you give your guests a heads up you can definitely have your wedding outside the city Centre. I feel like most people understand that urban Centres are Flippin expensive and going out of town is the only way to make things feasible. I feel like more than a two hour drive you should be looking at blocking off accommodations for your guests for the night of.
    We drove an hour to get to the church for my FH'S wedding, then back into the city for the reception. Didn't mind, the annoying part was the five hour wait back at home waiting for the reception!
    That's just my two cents. I mean, people do destination wedding all the time and still make that work! I think it's a matter of clearly communicating with your guests what's up.
  • Ashleigh
    Curious May 2018 New Brunswick
    Ashleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I travelled to Newfoundland from New Brunswick, which is roughly 7 hours by car and a 6 hour Ferry ride. Would I do it again, no. But I certainly wouldn't change that I went. I'm also planning to drive to Kingston in august so that is about 10 hours. We planned our trips like a mini vacation/ Getaway, we were given lots of time to plan and then we're able to budget for everything. It's definitely a little more challenging to plan a destination outside of your city, but I wouldn't jeopardize your dream wedding on the behalf of your guests those who will show up will gladly be there 😁

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics