Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Discussion closed

Jennifer
Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia

How early is too early for save the dates & formal invitations?

Jennifer, on July 4, 2017 at 16:43 Posted in WeddingWire 0 14
Saved

How early is TOO early for Save the Dates & formal invitations? We are getting married September 1, 2018 (long weekend). The venue is about a three hour drive from where we live & where the majority of our guests live, although majority of my extended family is about a 9 hour drive.

Thanks!

14 Comments

Latest activity by Michelle, on September 8, 2017 at 16:12
  • Michelle
    Curious October 2018 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is such a efficient way of getting addresses! I think I may have to do the same Smiley tongue Thanks for sharing!

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We sent ours out 10 months in advance and made sure to do it before the end of the year. Some people's jobs require them to submit vacation requests before the new year and this gave time to save up. I'd say if you're inside of a year to the date, you're good to send!

• Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congrats BTW you are a year away from your Day!!!

• Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did our save he dates online and asked for addresses, we are 7 months out from our wedding and I will be making phone calls by the end of Ocober for the addresses that I didnt receive. Our invitations will be going out mid November for our wedding in March.

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The rule of thumb I usually hear is 6-8 months for STDs and 6-8 weeks for invitations. However if you are doing a destination wedding, or your guests will be traveling far, or if your wedding is near or on a holiday, then it might be appropriate to send STDs up to one year in advance. You can always spread the date to your VIPs by word of mouth before then.

Have you thought about the style of your STDs and invitation suite?

• Jennifer
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We are sending our save the dates in a few weeks Smiley smile

That is awesome we have the same wedding day! Such a beautiful time of the year

• Jodi
    Frequent user September 2018 Alberta
    Jodi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Im getting married the same day!! congrats to you!! I sent my save the dates out last week. I send it out via fb asking everyone to send me their addresses for formal invites.

• K
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think send them right away! My wedding is September 15th 2018 and I sent out save the dates already! People need to know way ahead of time to book accommodations and time off Smiley smile . I think anytime you want is good, now or a few months from now!

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are getting married June of next year. We will be sending out our save the dates around october this year and our invites likely just after christmas.

• Zoë
    Master June 2020 Ontario
    Zoë ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Jennifer! You can always send them right now, to be sure. Here I send you some inspiration: Invitations with or without account number? - When should we send out our wedding invitations? How is everything going? xx

• Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I didn't do save the dates. My wedding is the August long weekend (civic holiday) of next year so I've already started to hand my invites out. Just beacuse its on a weekend where a lot of people will start to make plans. FH and I totally understand if some people can't come because it is on a long weekend, but we hope we can catch more people if we get the invites out sooner
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Save the dates you can send now to make sure guests can plan their time off work accordingly, especially if they need to let their employer know well in advance when they plan on taking time off.
    Formal invites can be a few months from when the wedding is going to happen. Just keep in mind if some are going overseas or remote areas that they will take longer to get there.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Louise about the save the dates. We sent our invitations a few months after our save the dates as we have many guests who live far away and it would take time for the invitations to reach them. We set our RSVP date 2 months before the wedding so that we had time to run after people if needed and could give firm numbers to our caterer well in advance.

• Louise
    Devoted September 2017 Quebec
    Louise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would say save the dates you could do a year in advance especially as it is on a long weekend. Invitations are typically 2-3 months before your wedding.

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics