Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Brittany
Newbie May 2019 Alberta

How did you pick a wedding date?

Brittany, on April 2, 2018 at 00:28 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 43

How did you pick a date? Did one just jump out at you? Did you just pick one at random or was there lots of thought put into it?

43 Comments

Latest activity by Sara, on April 18, 2018 at 10:00
  • Sara
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wanted October from before we even discussed getting married - the colours, the trees, the fall, the weather - it's my favourite season. To make it fair, I told him he could pick the day, 11th is his favourite number but a Thursday this year, so he changed it to the 12th to make it before the weekend and for family/friends' convenience.

It also depended a lot in venue availability as we're having such a short engagement - we got engaged three weeks ago - but it worked out that where we wanted to have the wedding was available on that day as well.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We originally talked about getting married in 2018 (got engaged end of 2016) but then my husband convinced me that we could get married in fall (my favourite season) 2017. We picked a mid-September date as that would give time for people with kids to get back into the routine of things a bit and would probably still guarantee some nice weather. We originally chose the 23rd but all the hotels in the area were booked for a hockey tournament so we pushed it to the 30th.

• Jane
    Frequent user July 2018 British Columbia
    Jane ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We wanted a day that family from Ontario would absolutely be able to attend. And in Vancouver, June's weather is a tad unpredictable. July however is pretty good, there were a few dates that wouldn't work (birthdays) and we chose the 28th because there is a fireworks celebration that night... Might as well take advantage 😋
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The month of October holds a lot of significance for us: started dating October 13, 2015, he proposed October 26, 2017, and we went on our first tropical vacation in October 2017 so we knew we wanted that month. Our year was chosen for practicality reasons: 2019 is less "busy" than 2018 in our families and we are planning from 18 hours away (Ontario is huge!) so having more time is in our favour. The 19th is kinda in between our dating anniversary and our engagement anniversary so we chose that day!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We do little celebrations every 24th of the month! (we got together Dec 24) so really for us we just wanted it on the 24th of any month! May decided for being a bit warmer though haha!

• Julie
    Curious June 2019 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FH is a big michael jordan fan thats why he chose june 23. 23 being michael jordan's number and june (6th month), jordan has 6 champioship rings.
  • Audrey
    Curious August 2019 New Brunswick
    Audrey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am from Montréal but live in Nb so I have family members and friends who are still in Mtl. Because of that, I wanted a long weekend To get married. I always enjoyed the weather on labour day weekend so my choice was easy.
  • T
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Terri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We wanted August and picked in between ball tournaments and when the venue we wanted was free lol
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We picked it based on weather, didn’t want to hot so we narrowed it down to June and September and I thought June would be nice. So then we picked out a date that we thought would work from there
  • Megann
    Frequent user September 2018 New Brunswick
    Megann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We both love Fall. My FH chose September 22nd because it’s the first day of Fall. Our wedding is going to be rustic Smiley smile Now he thinks he’s the big shot cause he chose the date Smiley winking Gotta let him have something lol
  • Dani
    Curious August 2018 British Columbia
    Dani ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ours is on our 3rd anniversary of when we met. Smiley smile

• Sarah
    Frequent user December 2018 Alberta
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My job told me the best day 😂 gotta love the Army
  • Morgane
    Curious February 2019 Alberta
    Morgane ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We decided to do a minimoon roadtrip, and the date we decided on gives us enough time to get there on time even if there are road closures (Winter wedding in Banff). We are also getting married out in the snow, so we did not want a busy time with tourists around. We chose the Tuesday.
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We debated between Sept or Oct. Based on Calgary weather we chose Sept, from there we picked a random date haha we knew we wanted middle to end of Sept as Sept 4 is his b-day. Our venue suggested a date for us and we chose that date.

• Karen
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We knew we wanted September because that's the month we met. We originally wanted Sept 29th 2018 (no clue why). But venue was booked, & only had 15th open so right away we contacted the church to put our wedding the 15th which was meant to be since Sept 16th is our anniversary as bf/gf. Also we didn't know why we didn't picked 15th or 16th in the first place lol
  • Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We both knew we wanted a fall break wedding. I absolutely love thanksgiving but didn’t want to have our wedding the same weekend. We talked about having it the following weekend! It lands on Saturday, October 13. And 13 happens to be our #. We started dating on a Friday 13 in May and our engagement photos will be happening on Friday the 13th this year in April! It’s our good luck number not bad.
  • Tracy
    Devoted September 2018 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiance picked our date the night we got engaged. We're getting married September 15th 2018... it's our 3rd anniversary of our second date which happened to be the best!!!
  • Stacey
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Stacey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I really liked the idea of a fall wedding, so mid September popped out. We are both out doorsey and like hiking, the best time for hikes are the fall!
    Although, he has recently suggested a date in August but we have been bickering about it. My reason for not wanting to do it in August is more personal, as it was my grandparents wedding anniversary and their passings were difficult on our family.. picking a date is more difficult for some couples than other, some couples can pick it at first try but others need some time to convince or talk about pros and cons.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly, we got engaged over Christmas holidays (Dec 28, 2017), so I knew this summer was too soon, and I felt like next summer was too far away, so we talked about how January would be the slowest month of the year, it would be unique, and probably less expensive...

Then I found a cruise that left on Monday January 21st... So we knew that was what we wanted to do for our honeymoon, so now we are getting married January 19th, 2019! Haha.

When everyone asks with bewildered looks "Why January?"... I say, "because of the tone of voice you just used"... Who else gets married in January? We get to escape rainy Vancouver winters for our honeymoon/anniversaries. And now we are having a beautiful, formal, adults-only, evening winter wedding.

• Jasslyn
    Beginner September 2019 Alberta
    Jasslyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I always wanted to get married in September (love fall), I narrowed it down to two weekends and my fiancé chose the date because he liked the sound of September 21st better than September 14th, lol. I think you just need to figure out what season you want it in and go from there. I'm a teacher so a lot of people think I'm crazy for getting married in September, but I'm very organized and that's what I want. Go with what you want and stick to that. Don't let others influence your decisions!

• Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks! ☺️
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We thought of all of the dates and seasons we didn’t want and settled on one that’s mostly sentimental to me. We’re flexible with venue options so we’ll select a venue that’s available on that date.
  • Alessia
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Alessia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Brittany, we kind of narrowed it down to season and colours. I always loved blush and navy so figured it would have to be warmer weather. Since we are both teachers we had to get married in the summer so we had some time off for finalized planning and our honeymoon. So we figured July because August may be cutting it too close to the new school year after the honeymoon. Then we figured our which number we liked best. To be honest, I wanted June BUT it is pretty hard to finalize details when you are at the end of school.

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Brittany! We thought about what season we wanted to get married in (spring or fall for better weather), and how long I needed to plan the wedding (at least a year)!

From there we started narrowing in on an ideal timeframe with both of our schedules and started looking for venues that were available in September 2016. Our dream venue was already totally full for that month so we ended up with our October wedding date!

• Cherry
    Devoted October 2019 Quebec
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We wanted an outdoor wedding. So we have to find the month where the chances of rain would be the least. We picked August 2019. Originally, I was thinking bout 08/18/2019. Very easy to remember date. But 18th fell on Sunday and we don't want the guests to party late and have to wake up early on the next morning to go to work. so we decided to have it on Saturday, 08/17/2019 instead. Moreover, my fiance told me Aug 17th was his late mother's birthday. That's how the date was decided.

• Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We knew we wanted October or November 2018 on a Friday, and used that to find a venue that offered a date in that time frame Smiley smile I know a lot of people are specific about the dates and having special meaning, but for us it was about timing it with the rest of our life plans.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had a general idea of when we wanted to get married (end of August, beginning of September and avoiding long weekends), then we looked at potential venues. Finally, upon selecting the venue, we picked out a date that worked for us.

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We found our venue first and then asked for a list of their available dates for this summer. It's really strange but I hate odd numbers so I knew it had to be an even date and I had it in my head that I wanted something aesthetically pleasing (cue the straightjackets, I know).

There were only two Saturdays with even numbers available - August 4th and 18th. My best friend got married on August 4th last year so the choice was easy (plus we didn't want it on a long weekend). We will be getting married 08/18/18 - not going to lie I was pretty excited at what a pretty number it was.

• Jodi
    Frequent user September 2018 Alberta
    Jodi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We started by looking for a venue that we liked. Our venue was booking two years in advance so we had a couple available dates that would have worked. we decided no to June as it could be rainy, no to July because it was stampede, and settled on early September because it will be nice to have a long weekend anniversary to celebrate every year.

• Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We wanted a spring/summer wedding but the only datee available was in mid April, which is coming fast.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We thought about a lot of factors. We both knew we wanted a spring/early summer wedding as we have our Birthdays and Christmas in the later part of the year.

We knew we wanted an outside ceremony, so we didn't want to be too rainy or too cold (such as April or May). We then decided on June as we thought it wouldn't be TOO hot.

My dad then told us that he was away for most of June 2018, so that left us with the weekend of June 23rd (we didn't want to do the wedding on a long weekend).

Then the venue we found wasn't available that date.. so we went with the next available.. July 7, 2018!

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is really cute!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics