Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sasha
Frequent user June 2020 Ontario

How did you decide on your wedding date?

Sasha, on December 13, 2019 at 13:36

Posted in Plan a wedding 87

Just curious how did you all decide on your wedding date? was it based on venue availability? anniversary date? why that specific month? For me, I always wanted a June wedding and the venue we both loved only had the last weekend of June available.

Just curious how did you all decide on your wedding date? was it based on venue availability? anniversary date? why that specific month? For me, I always wanted a June wedding and the venue we both loved only had the last weekend of June available.

87 Comments

• Amanda
    Devoted July 2020 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are getting married on our anniversary which is July 2nd Smiley smile. No other date felt right for us.
  • Karley
    Curious September 2020 Nova Scotia
    Karley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For me September is my favourite month and in my opinion the month with the nicest weather in Nova Scotia, so the month was easy. As for the 5th, the venue was booked on the 12th, I don't like the number 19 and the 26th is too close to my Mom's birthday.

• Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is exactly our reasoning too. Went with August 29, 2020 solely because my future father in law will be traveling he weekend of the 22nd which is what I would’ve preferred because I think it’s a nicer number lol
  • Kasia
    Newbie June 2020 Ontario
    Kasia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The year is unknown but we're keeping it to our anniversary. We started dating June 30 2007, got engaged June 30 2017, might as well get married the same day and keep it all together!
  • Jamie
    Curious May 2022 Ontario
    Jamie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were trying mid fall because it is our favourite season. It mobed up closer so a important family can make it.
  • Meg
    Newbie August 2020 Manitoba
    Meg ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We chose August because we want it to be hot, but not July hot. We booked August 22, 2020 because it was the only Saturday the venue I had fallen in love with was available. Works for me!
  • Jocelyn
    Newbie July 2021 Alberta
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I found a date I liked the feel of, checked that the stars aligned (I am NOT getting married on a mercury retrograde) and the rest is history. My
  • Marissa
    Frequent user October 2021 Alberta
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The community we are getting married in and that I grew up in has an annual fair at the hall we're renting, so we picked the weekend before the fair. The weekend before the date we picked is a long weekend, and I wanted to avoid that weekend as well because I have lots of family who go camping on long weekends. I also liked the date being 8/8/20 though that was a nice day Smiley smile I'm hoping August will give us nice weather for an outdoor ceremony, but we have a back-up indoor space if needed.

• Eden
    Frequent user August 2021 British Columbia
    Eden ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had originally booked for June 20, 2020, but we ended up having to move the date as there were some schedule conflicts. I really wanted to re-book for August 8, 2020 (8/8/2020) but my photographer was unavailable that day, so in the end we settled for August 21, 2020. While I am a bit disappointed I could not get the other date, I still like the date we chose and think it will make a good anniversary.

• N
    Beginner April 2021 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I always wanted a Winter wedding. I was originally thinking 02/20/2021 cause of how the numbers looked. Lol. Then I got to thinking more and decided Spring would probably be better for where we live. More enjoyable for everyone. I didn't wanna pay a fortune for a wedding and have no one show up because of snow storms or have my grandparents out in the weather to take photos. I wouldn't get my winter wedding pictures but thats something I'd have to sacrifice. So I started looking into Spring and decided on April 17 2021 because it's our dating anniversary that just so happens to fall on a Saturday. It will be our 13th year together. We only just got engaged December 14th 2019. I've had waaayyy too much time to think about it. Lol 🤣
  • Debbie
    Beginner June 2021 Alberta
    Debbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ours was based on our schedules and time for planning. No one has the same wedding date anniversary in our families.

I also wanted to be able to have pictures at the same location as getting married.

• Sasha
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Nice Taylor! 10/10/2020 is pretty cool! Nice colors as well!
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We picked August 3rd, 2019 because for whatever reason I have always wanted to get married in august so we looked at the dates and I liked the 3rd the best Smiley smile so there we go!

• Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly it was my OCD that decided lol. Our date WAS supposed to be 8/8/18 because of the repeated numbers and my favorite number is 8. But I went into the mental hospital and that caused a wave of issues and nothing was able to be completed. Luckily almost no one new the date yet. So now it is 10/10/2020 again with the repeat numbers for my OCD but his birthday is 10/01 and mine is 10/20 so it falls perfectly between our two birthdays. We both love October. The colors,its not too hot or too cold,and of course Halloween is our favorite holiday. So our wedding is very much mixing what we love about October together. Fake fall leaves,lots of black,and just very Halloween without being Halloween. Black decor,black for the wedding party,black for us,black tablecloths,lots of black. With pops of white,red, orange,green,and silver.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

1. Year = we got engaged Dec. 30th 2017 but wanted to buy a house so that we weren't married and living apart (and we didn't want to throw money away into an apartment) so then we bought one in 2018 and got married in 2019! Plus our 50th anniversary will be in 2069 Smiley tongue

2. Season = He veto'd winter because it's like -35°C and I veto'd summer because it's like 35°C Smiley tongue And then between spring and fall we think fall is more colourful and less likely to have snow/rain.... it ended up pouring on our wedding day and snowing the week after...

3. Month = out of September and October for Fall we had to check some things first. Took away Labour Day weekend, Thanksgiving weekend, and Halloween weekend. Then I had a BM who's brother was getting married so that date was taken away, also my sister's birthday weekend. It left us with about 3 weekends which one was taken off the table since I was on the pill and knew I would have my period on that date. Out of the two that were left one of them was the 5th of October and we had our dating anniversary on the 5th of March so we stuck with it!

• Kirsten
    Frequent user April 2020 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wanted it in April because that is when a lot of our milestones are. April 22 is when he had a really bad accident that promptly ended our "honeymoon phase" because he was bed ridden for 7 weeks, very early in our relationship. I don't see the honeymoon phase ending as a bad thing, I think it made our relationship stronger. So we are legally getting married April 22,202 and than doing the wedding for everyone else on April 25,2020 because it is a saturday. We wanted the marriage to be just ours.

• K
    Beginner July 2022 Quebec
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Summer gives us more options in how we'd like our day to go. And we're both in construction so doing it the Saturday before the construction holidays just seems to fit nicely with having a honeymoon and not having a mess of trying to book off work or losing step in our finances.
  • T
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    Trish ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We aimed for a specific time of year, as we wanted an outdoor wedding. When we got to the venue they only had 2 dates available so we picked the more convenient one. One happened to fall on the July holiday weekend and we are cottage people ourselves, so we opted for the other one. Kinda just fell into place.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't go for any specific date. We were more concerned about the time of year. We love Fall, and wanted to work it around our family trip up north. So we went to our venue with a couple open dates, and picked one they had open!

• Havier
    Newbie August 2020 Alberta
    Havier ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Great question! We just loved the date as it has some significance to us. 8/20/2020. We wanted a fall wedding but it's hard to judge the weather so August is late enough in the summer that fall colours won't be out of place.

• Sasha
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Nice! So it worked out 😊
  • Sasha
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow cant believe people book that far in advance. Sunday wedding are beautiful as well!
  • Miav
    Devoted September 2020 Alberta
    Miav ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ours was based on venue availability and we wanted a Fall wedding Smiley smile we booked ours 18 months out. Saturdays were fully booked so our date is a Sunday. We were okay with it as the day has a nice ring to it, Sept 20 2020 😄
  • Lindsey
    Newbie July 2020 Ontario
    Lindsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    FH and I both wanted a summer wedding. Ideally, I would’ve liked to get married on our anniversary weekend in July but the venue wasn’t available that weekend.

We settled on the weekend after our anniversary, which was based on both the venues availability & our photographer!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We just chose the date based on the season and when was the best time between summer and fall day. We were open to the date since the month was known. The price too was a factor since it wasn't a Saturday wedding.

• S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Sasha I find myself lucky. There were few dates available to begin with.

• Sasha
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Its incredible how far in advance people book. 19 months out wow. I'm glad the date you have now was available
  • S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We decieded we wanted a fall wedding. We had a day picked out, but the venue was already booked ar 19 months out. So picked another day because I was inlove with the venue.

• Kendra
    Beginner July 2021 Ontario
    Kendra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We decided on time of year and then based on availability of venue! We wanted a saturday wedding for sure and anytime between May and September!
  • M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We wanted a really fast turnaround; We just wanted to be married. So we decided to get married end of July 2019 and I decided September or October would work well. Once we decided we wanted to get married outside, I knew it would be better to have it beginning of September. And because it was all so fast, having it on a weekday made sense so vendors were available. So we picked Wednesday September 4, 2019. It didn't mean anything to us before we got married but it made sense.
  • BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH and I started with eliminating dates and seasons we didn't want because we find that easier sometimes. Our method might sound a little weird compared to other posters...lol.

I didn't want it in winter because I'm frozen at the best of times and didn't want to be in the cold for photos. Smiley xd He didn't want weather that would make it hard for people to travel in (everyone is basically flying or driving from out of province), so we looked at the best travel months for our area - August and October. October is a bombfield with birthdays and anniversaries already (like, seriously, every third day!). That brought it to August and we went mainly for venue availability after that.

• Cockerton
    Curious October 2022 Ontario
    Cockerton ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ours was a little of venue availability, a little of off-season pricing and then we have friends and family coming from the states so we did Nov 21,2020 also I like the numbers if that’s a little weird! 11/21/2020 easy!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics