Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tasha
Frequent user September 2018 Saskatchewan

Honeymoon jar

Tasha, on February 11, 2017 at 23:45 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12
I heard something about a honeymoon jar that someone puts out someone where in venue for people to donate instead if a gift. Is that a thing people do?

12 Comments

Latest activity by Emilie, on February 13, 2017 at 03:50
  • Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Tasha! Smiley heart I'm glad you asked, the ladies brought up some interesting points that are worth considering. It also depends on each person's situation and the way you approach the topic with your guests. Smiley smile You can take a look at these discussions for ideas:

Will you make a honeymoon registry?

Wishing Well vs. Wedding Registry

5 ways to ask for a Honeymoon Fund

Will you make a registry too or do you think you'll go just for the fund? Smiley smile

• Tasha
    Frequent user September 2018 Saskatchewan
    Tasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had to ask. All this wedding stuff is totally new to me and don't know what to do so this is why I ask on here. I thank u all for giving me ur opinion
  • Natasha
    VIP August 2017 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would not do this .... we made a small registry for those guests who absolutely refuse to give money as a wedding gift ... just with simple things we could update in our house .... other then that we have a card box... I would never outright ask for money as a gift
  • Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Well said as usual!
  • L
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    In all honesty: I would also feel this way as a guest.
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Good point on the fees Val! 15% is nuts!!
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Getting money whatever way possible seems to be a continual topic of discussion so I apologize in advance if all my responses seem exactly the same as I feel that NO ONE should ever ask for money! I agree with Melissa and Valerie on their points. If you don't register anywhere, it's implied that it's money you want. Don't get me wrong , we are planning our wedding in the hopes that we at least break even and we aren't in debt for years! However for us, the way to do that is to make it the best possible experience for our guests (within our financial limits) and make our family and friends feel welcome! That's #1!!! I want them to feel special and know that they have a special place in our hearts and we couldn't imagine celebrating one of the happiest moments of our lives without them! I'm being honest here and coming from a guests perspective: If I was a guest at a wedding where the couple was not even serving dinner or unlimited hors D'oeuvres, and the bride and groom still expected a monetary gift from me, then to get nailed again asking for more money for the honeymoon.....I'd have to say I would be pretty insulted. I would think they didn't actually want me to spend their special day with them, they just wanted money.
  • L
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Second interview everything Valerie and Melissa said. Don't do it.
    I'm not having a registry and it's the norm for my social group to simply bring a card to weddings with cash or cheque inside. But wouldn't expect anything beyond that.
  • Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Agreed! Though I find no one really wants to pay for your hotel and flights but are ok paying for an excursion or fancy dinner or the like. Do know your crowd on this one though as it is VERY polarizing, people love the idea or hate it and think it is very rude. So be sure to have at least a few items on a traditional registry for people that would prefer to get a physical gift. Also do PLENTY of research before picking a honeymoon fund registry as they charge fees of anywhere between 2% top 15% to use their service, and the fee is paid by either the couple or the guest (depends on the site)
  • Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There is the option of the online honeyfund, which would work as a good compromise i think!
  • Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I second everything Melissa said. It is rude to expect people to bring a gift as well a donate to your honeymoon, which would happen due to what Melissa mentioned
  • Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would not do this. I would make a small registry, or none at all; people will understand that a cash gift is preferred without needing to be told.

The problem with a jar at the reception is that people will have already purchased a gift, or brought a card. They will then feel bad that they did not give what you wanted, or feel obligated to add to the jar and spend more, which is not fair.

I would just do as I mentioned above and have a cardbox .

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics