Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emilie
Featured Quebec

Did he ask your family before he proposed?

Emilie, on January 30, 2017 at 06:25 Posted in Before the wedding 0 74

Hey future brides and grooms!

You're engaged! Who knew about it before hand? Smiley catface

Did he ask your family before he proposed?

Next question >> What ring did he choose?

Image: Giphy.com

74 Comments

Latest activity by Samantha, on October 5, 2021 at 13:35
  • S
    Frequent user October 2024 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Trevor asked my Dad for my hand in marriage, before he popped the question! Trevor knew that asking my Dad first, was very important to me. 🥰

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes he did ask my Dad out of respect Smiley smile either way we were going to get married since my dad and I have just begun to rebuild our relationship

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He did ask my parents! he felt bad he bought the ring first but went directly over after and asked. He also asked my brother in law and his family as well.

• H
    Beginner February 2018 Ontario
    Haley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He did not! He had asked me randomly way before proposing if I wanted or thought he should ask my parents, but I had told him he didn't have to.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He did. He told me he was going to visit his uncle in Calgary. I decided to go visit my parents that same weekend. He told me after we were engaged that he had actually planned to visit my parents that same weekend! Since I went, he wasn't able to. He had to wait until he worked up there to ask them.

• Katie
    Frequent user October 2018 Ontario
    Katie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Almost all of our immediate family knew before me! Lol he asked my Dad for his blessing, so both my parents knew. He took his Mom ring shopping and got my sisters advice on the ring before buying (she lives in another province). The only ones who didn’t know were my brother and I, since he also lives in a different province. I was so thrilled that so many people we love had a role 🙂
  • Jessica
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He didnt ask my dad before, but my dad loves him like the son he never had.. sometimes i wonder if i have been replaced LOL , so there was no doubt in my mind my parents would care. Which they obviously were very excited about it all. I was worried about how my dad felt about my FH not asking him, but it turns out my dad didnt ask my Grandpa before he proposed to my mom either !

• Stephanie
    Frequent user May 2018 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He asked my parents and then told all his siblings and his mom Smiley smile

• Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My family already loved Timmy even before we were dating. My mom always told me to date him.

Once we finally started dating, everyyyyyone kept cracking "when's the wedding" jokes, and my dad would always joke back "he hasnt even asked me yet!"

My FH called my dad as a joke, my dads reply was "she'd kill me if i said no". So yes... But it was all in good fun lol.

• Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes he did!! I'm very happy he did! We had discussed that he would ask and he did!
  • Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yeah he asked for her blessing. And then she said she wanted to see my reaction.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He didn't ask my parents, but asked me a while back whether that would be a problem or not.

• Megan
    Curious July 2019 Alberta
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He asked my mom, dad, sister, grandpa and my best friend.

Grandpa is my life and it meant the world that he asked both him and my dad Smiley heart

Essentially everyone knew but me

• Laura
    Curious September 2018 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He asked my dad before he proposed, even showed him the ring! My dad said to ask quick because he couldn't keep the secret from my mom for too long LOL. My sister helped him design the ring.

• Kayla
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Both my family and his family knew before i did.

They were all patiently waiting for the call the night he proposed!

• Erin
    Expert September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He kind of asked my mom lol. He goes "i bought a ring" and they chatted about it, and then at the end of the conversation my mom says "wait, aren't you supposed to ask my permission?" and FH goes "ummm i thought thats what i was doing.." lol I love that story and they couldnt wait to tell me right after we got engaged

• S
    Newbie September 2018 Manitoba
    Salma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He didn't ask my parent after he proposed the next day he asked
  • Amanda
    Curious September 2018 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He knew this was my only prerequisite. He MUST ask my parents. He took them out to dinner and formally asked them! Best HTB I could ever ask for!!!!!!!

• Ines
    Curious January 2018 Saskatchewan
    Ines ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes he did. I told him it's the way my family is. So he went over on Friday and had lunch at my parents. Told them he bought a ring. And he proposed on Sunday!
  • Abby
    Curious October 2017 Ontario
    Abby ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Double halo
  • F
    Curious June 2017 British Columbia
    Falisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He picked it out himself

Did he ask your family before he proposed? - 1
  • F
    Curious June 2017 British Columbia
    Falisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He most definitely did. He approached my Rd and asked him. He didn't need to ask my mom, she was egging him on
  • J
    Beginner July 2018 New Brunswick
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No, he knew I would want to be the one to tell them
  • Caitlin
    Frequent user May 2018 Ontario
    Caitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nope. But my mom knew it was coming and gave him a ring lol!

• Maria
    Curious October 2017 Ontario
    Maria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes he sure did. He knew it was important for me to have him ask my dad so he did. Was awesome. He said that after complimenting my dad on raising me to be such an amazing women that my dad was so taken back that he replied "no!" And then tried to fix it with .. "no.. no.. I mean uhm... no problem!" Haha they are too cute!
  • Vicky
    Frequent user June 2017 Alberta
    Vicky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No because he wasnt the one who proposed. He just gave me a ring and we just said we were engaged then I asked him a year later. It was a month after he left his gf
  • Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Nope, but he knew I didn't "expect" or "need" him too, but I was curious to know if he had. His family did know for a couple of weeks, his sister had been very involved in his designing my ring, and his parents were away when he proposed so he had told him that it would likely happen during their vacation.
  • Louise
    Devoted September 2017 Quebec
    Louise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes, he asked my parents permission and I am so grateful for that. He knew how much it meant to me. His whole family and my parents knew a couple of weeks before he proposed.
  • Rory
    Frequent user August 2017 British Columbia
    Rory ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He didnt ask my dad and regrets it to this day, he meant to i just blurted it out and he never got the chance.

• Victoria
    Beginner October 2017 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My father passed away 11 years ago, so my fiancé asked my mom for her blessing before he proposed.
  • Danielle
    Curious June 2018 Ontario
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He sure did! My family, as well as his family knew before I did because they were all there for the magical moment. He was certain I would say yes, since he had even informed his groomsmen to be. Clearly, I'm head over heels for this man.
  • Jessica
    Frequent user October 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes! It was this passed summer and my mom had said he went over to my parents house, sat down and asked them if he could marry me! I loved hearing this as my parents mean a lot to me and knowing they gave him the go ahead makes it that much sweeter

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics