Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emilie
Featured Quebec

Did he ask your family before he proposed?

Emilie, on January 30, 2017 at 06:25

Posted in Before the wedding 74

Hey future brides and grooms! You're engaged! Who knew about it before hand? Did he ask your family before he proposed? Next question >> What ring did he choose? *** Image: Giphy.com

Hey future brides and grooms!

You're engaged! Who knew about it before hand? Smiley catface

Did he ask your family before he proposed?

Next question >> What ring did he choose?

Image: Giphy.com

74 Comments

• Mickaela
    Curious June 2018 Saskatchewan
    Mickaela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had gone to my dads grave and he asked him there and had ask d my mom and planned the whole thing with my mom.
  • N
    Newbie July 2018 Ontario
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    To be honest I'm not even sure and I'm gonna ask right away!!!
  • Micheala
    Curious October 2017 British Columbia
    Micheala ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Nope he juat asked me which i prefer
  • Kate
    Beginner June 2018 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I asked him and he did say he was thinking of asking my dad out for a beer but thought it would just give it away, so nope, he just asked me and I'm a modern lady so I'm cool with it - plus my folks have known him forever and love him already.

• G
    Newbie October 2017 Ontario
    Giselle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He tried but couldn't get a hold of anyone and I think time was running out because he wanted to do it on Christmas Eve.
  • April
    Devoted July 2018 Nova Scotia
    April ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He hinted that he wanted to - so i said if ur serious - ask for my parents blessing and he did :-)) :-))
  • G
    Curious September 2017 Ontario
    Grace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes, being old school and traditional you ask for the parents blessing and that he did when I was at a staff meeting ...he's a bit sneaky lol
  • Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He asked/told my parents Christmas morning before everyone else (ie me) was awake and then asked me when we went on a walk alone together later in the day Smiley heart

• Christine
    Curious June 2018 Ontario
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No one knew he was going to propose, this didn't surprise me because he is a very private guy. After we told my family he sat down with my baby brother (my dad passed away 8 years ago) and had a "man to man" talk. He even apologized for not asking before he proposed.
  • Amanda
    Beginner September 2017 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No he never asked for permission, but he new he didnt have to with my family we are far from traditional and my family loves him to death.
  • Dana
    Frequent user April 2018 Ontario
    Dana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't know if he ever properly asked for permission or anything (though I didn't really want him to because I don't like the idea of being "given away") but he did coordinate some surprise proposal stuff with my mom so she knew ahead of time.
  • Jessica
    Frequent user June 2018 Saskatchewan
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He told our friends he was thinking about it, then four days before the deed he went to my house and asked my parents. I guess my mom cried she was so happy and my dad hugged him. Hes been in our family for 5 years so they love him. Although he didnt announce to our friends when he planned to do it so it was a surprise to everyone when it happened.
  • J
    Frequent user April 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No he didnt ask. Although he made a point to see both sides of our family on Christmas day.
  • Leanne
    Curious September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't think he actually did ask lol
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Unfortunately not on good terms with my father so he didn't get the chance to, he said said that he would have asked for permission. But in my opinion I rather he not as I'm not something to just "give away" so I'm glad he never asked.

• Sylvie
    Curious June 2017 Ontario
    Sylvie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were over at my sisters house for my nephews birthday party and him and my dad went out for a walk towards the field and we're talking outside while the women were inside. And lone behold that's when he asked my dad's permission to marry me. Didn't know about the question till after he proposed.
  • Melissa
    Curious August 2018 British Columbia
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He asked my family AND my friends family Smiley laugh
    He went over to my parents house and asked my dad and then they told my mom and brother.

Then he asked/told my best girlfriends that he was going to do it (they all were very excited and told him about time aha)

• Kayla
    Curious March 2018 Alberta
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He actually asked for my dad blessing along time ago. But life happend and it took a couple years for him to propose to me
  • Jaymee
    Curious August 2018 Manitoba
    Jaymee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He asked my parents and my sister.
  • Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

FH didn't ask permission, He just showed my dad the ring and TOLD him he was proposing when they were on a fishing trip.

• RaeAnn
    Frequent user April 2017 Saskatchewan
    RaeAnn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He asked my dad for his permission. It was sweet because my dad had been in the hospital for a few weeks and he found the perfect time a few weeks after dad got out. It was perfect.
  • Lexi
    Curious October 2018 Nova Scotia
    Lexi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The only people that knew besides my dad were two of our close friends, he even managed to keep it a surprise from his family! 💜
  • Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Well, I actually don't know how long he'd been planning it for... we had been together for just under 9 years when he asked, so it could have been quite some time...
  • Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's very sweet indeed Lexi! Smiley heart Did more people know that he was going to propose? Did he manage to keep it a surprise? Smiley winking

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hahahaha that's so funny! Smiley laugh How long had he been planning the proposal for? Smiley heart

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's such a great thought! Smiley heart It's so meaningful! I'm glad he did, it's very sweet!

• Robyn
    Frequent user June 2017 Quebec
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No, he kept it a secret from everyone (except his friend who went ring shopping with him). He did ask my dad after he gave me the ring.

• L
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That's so sweet!
  • L
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's not our style to seek permission from others to do things. And as I mentioned in another post the engagement wasn't a surprise so I told my mother myself that she should expect a call after the fact.
    My dad hasn't even met my FH and likely won't until the wedding, if he bothers to show up. :/
    We got my mentors seal of approval though! My lawyer colleague / work mom relented and agreed that I'm probably old and mature enough to get married and that my FH seems like a nice young man lol not that her approval makes or breaks anything I do that's not work related.
  • L
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    LMAO the cat! That feels like something my FH would do too. Kitties are his babies.
  • Lexi
    Curious October 2018 Nova Scotia
    Lexi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Apparently he asked my dad a couple months before he proposed. To me, that's one of the most special parts of all of it, that he was traditional enough to ask his blessing. ❤
  • Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sort of? He was living with me and my family at the time and everyone knew we were going to get married. (I had said that I didn't want to be engaged and living at home but it was taking longer than we thought to find a place so I relented.) He decided to propose only a couple days in advance and he told my mom about it and she helped him plan it. She still says that he needs to take her out for dinner to "ask for her permission" but since she told him to marry me, I don't think that's how it works! Smiley xd

He did ask my cat if she approved of my ring and she said yes!

Asking my cat's permission

Asking my cat's permission

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics