Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Brandy
Newbie October 2019 Ontario

Change of date?!

Brandy, on April 23, 2018 at 12:20 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 19
Nothing is set in stone of course we're still in the planning stages. We JUST got engaged the beginning of April. Just wondering if anyone else has changed their date for monetary reasons. I've been looking at different venues and they are CRAZY expensive. The one I've looked at recently is 40 per person difference if we would change the date from October to January.
I've always wanted a fall wedding but I think I need to be more realistic. That money difference is almost $4000, that's a lot!! That money could go to being able to invite more people, or to a newer vehicle or even for a honeymoon.
What do you think? Would you suck it up and go for your dream wedding date? Or change it to save yourself money?

19 Comments

Latest activity by Emily, on April 30, 2018 at 18:58
  • Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Save the money! My FH and I would have loved a summer wedding, but it was $20 cheaper per plate to have our wedding in November. I know a lot of places have price reductions for Friday and Sundayweddings as well. My sister-in-law to be got married on a Friday at the end of September, and they saved about $5000!
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If that's what works best for you then do it! The wedding is a one day thing, but the marriage is a life time and no one wants to start their marriage in a crazy amount of debt or with not enough money to start married life. Our venue cost a bit more than we planned, but we made up for that with cutting other costs. Budgeting will be your best friend! Off season weddings are usually significantly cheaper, so if you're going for a budget wedding then that's always a great option. You still have tons of time before the dates too so talk with your fiance, and family see who can contribute where and then get a rough estimate of your budget and how much money will be going where. You may even be able to find a solution so that you can have yourself a fall wedding. If not have a fall engagement party or bridal shower! Best of luck!
  • Helen
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The marriage is much more than one day, if that will help you get ahead in life or have a better day/honeymoon then its something to think about. $4k is a lot! However think about why you want fall and can you bring that into a winter wedding (colours, theme etc all can be worked in some way) and still be happy? Will you regret the choice 3 years from now? 30 years from now?

If you feel it is worth it to you, then stay with the fall. Winter would be so cool too, snowy landscape, fuzzy fur wraps (which lets face it you may get in fall anyhow!). Plus you can take a getaway every year for your anniversary!

I thought the season/day was important to me to, but as I get fo a few months out, I could care less about that and just know that whatever day in whatever universe this happens, it will be the best day of my life forever .

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That’s a big chunk of $.

To keep your October date consider cutting back on other costs, like decor or accessories.

There’s something nice about off/shoulder seasons though, so maybe try mid/late November. A friend of mine did that and got discounts for many of her vendors.

I’m sure whatever you and you FH decide will be lovely.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod Online ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If your happy with changing the date, do so. No charge for that is good though the difference is savings.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Would you be willing to push your wedding back a year in order to save to have it during your dream month? I honestly wouldn't want to have my wedding during another season.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had planned for last September but then ended up changing it to the beginning of June. You're still so far away that changing the date isn't that big of a deal. It really only matters after you've sent out the invites! That $4000 could pay for a 5 star week long vacation to an amazing honeymoon destination!

• Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If the date means something to you (ours does for us), then stick to it. But if your flexible with it, why not? My only advice is don’t compromise. It’s your big day and we’re all only planning to do this once. Don’t change your date just to save money. If it’s something you’ve always dreamed of, then you may end up regretting your decision later.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Have you thought about doing a Friday in fall instead? A lot of halls offer their off-season pricing on Fridays as well! We lucked out with that!

Fridays are great and then you get the full weekend off! And as long as you give your guests plenty of notice I think it's fair to ask them to take one day off work for you (I'm sure they wont fight back too badly)

We are in May and honestly doing a Friday instead of Saturday has been a bonus in so many ways!

• Sarah
    Frequent user December 2018 Alberta
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Unless it's super important to you to get married at that time I would change the date and be able to have a bigger party or put the money to something else. We originally wanted a July wedding but my job I'm in the military it didn't really work out so we switched it to December and I'm so happy we did we're able to have all the stuff we want for the wedding able to do a honeymoon and have savings all at once just him switching it from the summer to the winter
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We wanted to have a spring wedding and figured that May would be our month. It was a little more expensive but we just went with it. Our venue was booked up for the 2 years in advance so we had extra time to save which helped. The money could definitely go towards other stuff, but if you want a fall wedding and won't be as happy moving your date then don't do it.

• Alexis
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had an extended engagement to save up (2 years exactly by the time of our wedding), so we didn't change dates. My suggestion would be to see what venues are available for what you envision your wedding being. If you want a fall wedding, see what's available and make a decision from there. We booked our venue a year and a half ago and it was the only weekend in October left. But we also fell in love with the venue, so did what we needed to to secure a date and save up for it.
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would change it because this way you could have more people be there for your special day! Also, weddings you forget about small things and sometimes extra costs pop up. This will give you wiggle room if it happens.

• Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Since it’s only a few months difference I would consider changing it for sure. I don’t think I’d want to push it back much further though. I was engaged last April and I’m ready for my planning to be over and to be married! Lol I’m over the stress but we definitely needed this past year to save, less than 4 months to go now!
  • Stacey
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Stacey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have changed our dates at least 3 times. We just booked yesterday with our venue. Originally it was going to be in September 2019, then we talked about October 2019, then my FH threw a curve ball at me and wanted August 2019... we finally settled for October.

As long as your have a general idea of the season or month, it’s a start. We picked our date based on the availability on the venue we chose. But we love the date regardless!
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We waited another year to get married (originally talked about last summer). I wanted a summer wedding (easier for out of towners to get time off to travel, and most of my guests are from another province). For me, it was worth it to wait another year! We were able to save up and could invite more people. I knew I would regret having a small wedding a year earlier. For my fiance, he would've been completely fine having a smaller wedding. It's up to you and what you really want. I'm the type of person that, once I have a dream, I can't let go of it!

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We picked January for several different reasons that had nothing to do with cost... oddly enough, none of our vendors have any price changes due to seasons (it's part of a university, so it's locked in year round for all events, corporate, school, wedding, etc.)

Most venues do have large price differences depending on season, and that is definitely a major factor to consider when budget is one of your concerns.

Some perks to January weddings aside from cost:
    - Other vendors are less busy (florist, caterer, photographer, officiant, etc), so they have more time to focus on you, and you're usually not back to back with another wedding that weekend)
    - If you take your honeymoon right away, you're escaping the winter... and any anniversary trips in the future will as well
    - No one's usually busy! You're not interfering with summer holidays, thanksgiving long weekend, etc...
    - It's unique... due to so few people (in comparison to summer), having their weddings in the winter, you can have different decor/themes, etc that no one else has.

However, if you've always had your heart set on fall, and you think you'll regret not doing it... still consider it. I never settled on a time of year, so I don't feel like I'm losing out by having a January wedding.

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We chose a winter date to save money so that we could have more people at the reception, even though I had dreamed of a fall wedding. In the end, the winter was the best choice for us, and I didn't even care by the time I had all my details set. I say do what you feel is best for you and your fiance. If your dream is a fall wedding, you can either push it another year to save up, or decide that the money can't be spent elsewhere.

• Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If it was that much money you could save I would change the date for sure!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics