Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Canadian Trends and Traditions - Your budget

Joey, on May 20, 2019 at 08:24 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 52

The typical cost of a Canadian wedding was about $29,450. That's regardless of city and province, guest list size, what vendors are being hired... all of which can greatly impact the budget a couple needs in order to bring their wedding vision to life. How does this national average compare to yours?

Is your budget bigger or smaller than 30K?

Canadian Trends and Traditions - Your budget 1

Photo by Boundless Wedding Photography in Toronto

>>Click here to go to the next question: Number of guests

>>Click here to start over: Canadian Trends and Traditions

52 Comments

Latest activity by Meaghan, on February 4, 2020 at 13:18
  • M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Even if we include my ring (which means I have to include the cost of the stones which I already owned) and our attire (which includes a custom made suit that my husband really needed anyway) we come in around $7500.
  • Desiree
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Desiree ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh and I really wanted to have photos but without the huge price tag so we aren’t doing the whole day packages but going for a short and sweet package of four hrs that cost us under 1000 and the photographer has it nicely laid out to make great use of the time we do have with her
  • Desiree
    Desiree ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiancé and I came in kinda knowing weddings were ridiculous expensive, but we have our minds made up that our budget is 10,000 for everything. we did some research on the venue and ended up finding a nice little gem that is all in and it will cost us just over 4000 that’s doing a toonie bar and plated service. But we will cut cost on invites, flowers and we are only have one person each in the our wedding party. I got a great deal on a DJ from wedding wire and the cake is on the smaller side and I’m using a baker who is just starting out. My dress I’m going to keep under 1000 I’m buying either used or from a pop sale and no honey moon.
    Ontario Bradford
  • Tracy
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are in Barrie so pricing is a bit better than in big cities. However, yes mention wedding and they will charge more. I started asking about elopement packages because we are looking at about 30 people. (Originally 20). Which does help. However, we have also found our original budget of $3,000 will probably be closer to $5,000.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Waaayyyy smaller. We're hoping to get hitched without spending much more than $6K.
  • T
    Curious July 2020 Ontario
    Tina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Totally depends on you! Our wedding is around 55k, it’s whatever you can afford. Avoid line of credits and things that will set you backwards. Our wedding is on the “bigger side” of 200 ish people. It’s a dry wedding also.
  • Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mine includes gifts for wedding party and family. Favors. Makeup for girls the day of. Hotel for the night before and day of, etc.. The hair extensions i bought.. The only thing not included was stamps and honeymoon... my work donated the stamps, and my FH's family booked us flights with their points, and their timeshare in the DR.

We are sitting at about 23,000 for 120 people in Alberta. We cut costs in some places and DIY'd alot! Bought second hand decor and etc.. but splurged in other areas like the hotel suite and catering.

• Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our budget was $20,000 for 130 people. Real time count two months before the wedding and we should be sitting around $23,000 when it is all said and done.

We had two years to plan and save, so we have been trying to put away $1000 every month.

Not going in to debt, which is why we had a longer engagement.

• Alexa
    Newbie August 2019 Nova Scotia
    Alexa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our budget originally was 20k but now is at 29k. This includes our honeymoon as well Smiley smile - 120 guests.

• Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our budget is 30K for a wedding of 100-120 people, and so far we're coming in just under but that's for the parts we're paying for and not including honeymoon. My mom is paying for all stationary (invites, save the dates, etc), the cake and my dress, so including those I think we're looking at more like 34K. We initially had a budget of 20-25K but as we did our research everything was adding quickly so we reset our budget. We've done REALLY well though for the value of what we're getting, so even though it's more than we originally had in mind, we're loving all the choices we've made so it's all worth it! We are busting our butts to pay everything in cash, my fiancé is covering most of it right now, so hopefully we dont have any loans or debt hanging over us on the other side. Except he wants to go to Bali for our honeymoon so we'll see how that goes! lollll
    Good luck out there, and if you need any recommendations for venue, photographers or an officiant I have those booked and would be happy to share Smiley smile
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our budget is $23,000. We should fall just under that if we keep up what we’re doing
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We set a budget of $10,000 but managed to come in under budget. We own a home and had some work we wanted to get done so we tried to cut back on the wedding where we could.
  • Mandy
    Devoted July 2019 Alberta
    Mandy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Smaller we will be hitting probably 12,000 on everything!!!!
  • Emily
    Frequent user August 2019 New Brunswick
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Us too. were are paying everything cash and up front. no money left owing at the end of the day not debt to pay off. our max is 5k and so far we have spent 3k with only a little over two months left. we are felling pretty proud

• Emily
    Frequent user August 2019 New Brunswick
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am Proud to say that our budget is 5K and so far we have only spent 3K of that and have ALMOST everything all paid for already. we have had ALOT if things giving to us or family offered to help with.

one thing we said when we started was its one day, a big day yes but we are not going broke because of it

• Jenn
    Frequent user April 2019 Saskatchewan
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's interesting. Attached the word "wedding," and vendors are quick to double the price... $30K is a LOT to spend on one event. We kept our budget way under the national average, but we cut many typical wedding things in order to do so.
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're under 30.. but very close.

• S
    Frequent user March 2021 Ontario
    Stiffra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're fortunate enough that my parents are shouldering the majority of the costs of our wedding so our's is actually just under the $60K mark (we're having a huge wedding, the venues that we chose are right in Downtown Toronto, and we really wanted to make sure we didn't compromise at all on the quality of the following two things: (1) our event designer who's in charge of designing all the florals and decor for the day (2) our photography & videography team). Obviously this is an insane amount of money to spend on one day but rest assured, no one is going into even $5 worth of debt as a result of our wedding and not a single bank is broken lmao. Also, as I'm my parents' eldest and first to get married of their children, they wanted to start off with a bang I guess! Lol

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ours is going to be just over $16,000 when everything is said and done, which is cheaper than we thought it would be so we did splurge a little bit when we realized we were under budget Smiley smile

• Amie
    Devoted August 2019 British Columbia
    Amie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    YUP - I agree with you completely. I’m in Vancouver so everything is costly. Decor agencies here have minimums of $9,000 to even consider decorating your wedding. You cannot find a photographer for less than $2,000 and most of $5,000. Initially we aimed for $30,000 budget but it’s over that now.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Under! Including our honeymoon, it was $18 000
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our budget started around 30K and is currently hovering around that.

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

On par with that, a little bit smaller.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Smaller- it will be near 15k

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The budget set for $20K and kept it under which was perfect.

• Miranda
    Beginner May 2020 Ontario
    Miranda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    How are you guys doing it?? I feel like in Toronto it’s impossible to have a traditional wedding without at least 30K. there are standard market prices like 3K photographers and 3K floral and 20K for venues and catering, these are already low estimates, if you want those magazine weddings I’ve realized they’re probably 100K
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We managed to keep our whole wedding under $12,000 before our honeymoon. Decided we would much rather spend our money elsewhere than the one day!
  • Marissa
    Expert August 2019 Ontario
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are trying to stay under that, closer to $25,000. My parents are paying for it, and we are so grateful. It would not be the traditional wedding it will be without their help. I am the first child to get married, so they are happy to cover the costs; and we are trying to make smart choices without compromising the vision.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are around the 30k mark.

• Loi-Marie
    Curious September 2021 Ontario
    Loi-Marie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ours is going to be 50k (traditional wedding, western wedding and hopefully our honeymoon!)
  • Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh much smaller, 8K is my hard max, but that also means that everything will be paid cash and cash only so it will feel good knowing at the end there will be no outstanding balances.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Lower. We're hoping to stay below $25k.

The 14% tax (GST/HST + PST) in Québec definitely impacted the overall budget.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics