Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Shannon
Beginner November 2020 Quebec

Cake or no cake?

Shannon, on September 21, 2017 at 15:59 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 26
Has anyone gone a different route for their main dessert? Neither my fiancé nor I are big fans of cake and we figure since it's our big day and we're paying for it, why not do something that we enjoy. So we've decided on a chocolate chip cookie bar with jugs of milk and chocolate milk instead of cake Smiley smile. Anyone else tried something similar?

26 Comments

Latest activity by Emma, on May 23, 2018 at 18:18
  • E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We don’t want a cake. It’s a second wedding for both of us and as experienced with having a wedding we realized that nobody really cares about the cake, in fact most people don’t like the cake if it’s with fondant, and please brace yourself ladies but nobody cares about the cake cutting pictures once the wedding is over.

That said we want our guests to have something to snack on later in the evening especially since we are having an open bar. Our wedding is right after Christmas so we are going to do a cookie and candy table. My daughter, mom and I will bake some variation of sugar cookies in snowflake and heart shapes and have a bunch of different types of candy and chocolate We’ve ordered personalized bags for people to fill. This also seconds as a favour since nobody care about favours either (seriously ladies unless you can eat or drink the favours they just end up in the garbage).

Oh should also add that this is not our main dessert. If we have a plated dinner we can pick a dessert. If we have a buffet they add several dessert options

• Emma
    Newbie May 2016 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé and I love cheese (lol) so we are thinking about doing a tower of cheese wheels instead of a cake. I’m not a fan of sweets and we already have dessert, so I’m really in love with this cheese idea I found on instagram. My FFIL gets it but my FMIL is really struggling to support it. Any tips for getting her on board with our unconventional cake replacement?
  • Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We still want to do the cake cutting but opt for the small cake. We found someone local who makes some really nice cakes. Cupcakes cost still $2.00 a piece though and if you order over a 100 she drops the price by 10%. She said though if you have dessert with your meal than cut the cupcakes you need in half. I have thought of cake pops I think the lady here anyways charged 14.00 a dozen I think or more like hoped and they could be wrapped to take home. Her flavors were a little lacking though still going to a craft sale a little later to buy a few more to try. I like the idea of milk and cookies but in August that may be a little hard to keep the milk cold for an outdoor wedding like mine. The lady i am debating about will come set everything up for 50.00 which isn't bad. So far we like 2 flavours out of the 6 I tried and 5 he tried. But 2.00 a cupcake seems steep especially on cupcakes. Cookies sounds a lot cheaper.

• Sonia
    Frequent user May 2019 Quebec
    Sonia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re not doing a cake as our venue charges up to 7$ per person to cut and serve it. We already have a dessert set with our menu.
    We might just get the top tier of the cake and then a fake cake underneath to cut into to say that we cut the cake. But I’m not a huge fan on it so we’ll see
  • Helen
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm debating pie instead of cake also.. was it well received? Multiple flavours of individual pies, or just the whole yummy thing?

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had a small cake for cutting, cake as dessert with the meal and our favours were fudge, but I love the milk and cookies idea! Pies are also a cool alternative - some bakeries can even make little mini pies which I think would be cool. Candy/caramel apples would also be cool for a September wedding!

• Tiffany
    Frequent user September 2017 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't have a cake for our wedding, and nobody noticed lol. I personally didn't think spending $$$ for a cake for that one cake cutting photo was worth it.

We did however, have a sweets table that was provided by the venue that was part of our package. This is in addition to the dessert (nutella gelato) during the seated meal. It was great because they catered a variety of desserts (cakes, cupcakes, pastries, tarts, cookies, macarons, brownies, fruits) so there was something for everyone. We also had a poutine bar too. There was sooo much dessert in fact, that I still have leftovers from my wedding day a week ago lol.

• Melissa
    Devoted November 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love that idea!

We are going with a cupcake tree. we aren't fans of cake either, but those helping us plan and pay for our wedding insist upon a cake cutting, so we have a small cake that we will cut and serve.

It's also my niece's 8th birthday (she's my junior bridesmaid) so there will also be a birthday cake served for her!

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's such a nice touch!! you should definitely do this!!

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The cookie idea is fantastic!

Our venue includes a dessert as part of their menu (guests can pick cheesecake or Chocolate molton lava cake) so we are forgoing the extra cost of a cake.

I am debating having a dessert table (small pastries and cookies) as that's common at Jewish weddings.. my mum would really like it.. but weddings are already expensive!

• Shannon
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Right?! I saw it on Pinterest and immediately was like yesssss I need cookies at my wedding!
  • Megan
    Curious July 2019 Alberta
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh my gosh i friggen LOVE this idea!

I am going to bring this up to my fiance lol

We decided on just a small one tier cake for the cutting ceremony and then just go with whatever desert our caterer supplies....buuuut.....i am kinda obcessed with your idea! LOL

• Amber
    Devoted September 2018 Alberta
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The milk and cookies idea is so clever!

We are actually doing a dessert table! There is a little Italian bakery that me and FH just love! There will be florentine cookies, pesche dolci, tiramisu and cannoli's.

• Becca
    Curious October 2019 Ontario
    Becca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I LOVE the milk and cookies idea!

My FH and i want to do a small cake, just for cake cutting pictures, and then for the main dessert were doing ice cream and home made cookies!

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That’s a super cute idea. And probably cost way less. 👍🏻

• Kayla
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love the cookies and milk option!

We went with 6 different types of pie and everyone loved it!

Personally, i love the idea of doing something non traditional. Have fun with it!

• Kathy
    Devoted June 2018 Ontario
    Kathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing doughnuts! There is this cute little bakery near our venue that makes THE BEST doughnuts we have ever had, so we are ordering from there. Neither of us are cake people either, so we thought this would be a nice alternative. I'm pretty excited about it Smiley laugh

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A cookie bar sounds amazing! Will you offer any other cookie flavors for those who don't like chocolate?

We don't like cake either, so we did donuts and pie - Lynnie, if only we'd known each other back when I got married Smiley smile

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That sounds really good. We're going with a white Costco cake but I'm an old bride and kind of traditional. I have seen pictures of people who have chosen different sized cheeses stacked up to look like a cake! It was very pretty.

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yumm!! That sounds so good Smiley shame

I attended a rehearsal dinner once that had a dessert bar of all different pies - that was my favorite dessert option ever!

I'm still holding out hope I'll go to a wedding with doughnuts Smiley heart There are also some awesome dessert ideas from other community members in Something other than cake... , What are you serving for dessert?, and Which desserts would you have on your dessert table?

• Shannon
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes girl we welcome all wedding crashers that love cookies! Ahaha
  • Shannon
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That sounds awesome! Costco has THE best apple pies! My other option was to do the same and have some of those for dessert since it will be a Fall wedding and cool weather and pies just go so good together Smiley smile
  • Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Omg that sounds so delicious!? Can I come crash your wedding for some hahaha! We had a cake and cupcakes, but for those who don't like cake, we had a dessert bar... it had brownies, cheesecake, Christmas crack etc..

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ooohhh. This is a great idea! Neither my fiance or i are big cake people so we will likely just be getting a variety of costco pies for dessert!
  • Shannon
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé suggested we have the jugs sitting in a rustic bucket of some sort filled with ice Smiley smile Luckily he likes beer and knows how to keep em cold lol
  • Alexa
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Alexa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't seen this dessert idea before ,but it sounds awesome only issue I would have is making sure the milk stays cold.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics