Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Nicole
Curious October 2018 Ontario

Bouquet Toss or No?

Nicole, on May 16, 2018 at 11:55 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 32

Our wedding is in 5 months, and I'm wondering how many people are doing the bouquet toss/garter toss.

The majority of our friends and family are already married with kids, so I'm having a hard time justifying it with only a handful of people that would be involved in this.

Thoughts?

32 Comments

Latest activity by Helen, on May 31, 2018 at 11:54
  • Helen
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No for us- small guest list, most are in a relationship. I was single 18 yrs before I settled down and the idea of calling out the only 2 single girls in front of everyone to fight over my bouquet would be mortifying. If I had more guests and/or more singles I would definitely consider it. I like the idea of the toss bouquet going to the longest married couple, I also like the idea of saving on a second bouquetSmiley smile Depends on the crowd, but the singles may be pleased if you skip it!

• Chantell
    Newbie October 2018 British Columbia
    Chantell ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had the same question! One recommendation I had was to do a bit of a spin on the traditional toss - ask all the married ladies to stand up and ask who has been married for 5 yrs, 10 yrs etc as they all sit down, the lady married the longest receives the bouquet. Very neat idea!

• B
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not doing the toss just because we are only having 26 guests.
  • K
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Keri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely nixing on both! One of the first on the “no way” List haha
  • Nicole
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

HAHA that's so much fun!

• Nicole
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you so much ladies!!! I'm feeling so much better about not including either of these traditions in our day.

And a huge congrats to all of you also getting married Smiley smile YAY!!

• Krista
    Frequent user July 2018 Alberta
    Krista ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If my family insists on "tradition" type events....

I'm "icing" my future husband when he goes to get the garter.

Bouquet toss is only fun when there's real motivation. Eg. guys making a bet on who gets it.

we're a little rebelious to tradition so if we are asked to do it, we'll make it at least enjoyable.

• Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re doing them both but we still have a lot of single friends and family members.
  • Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I want to do it because it's I think it's just one of those fun little traditions that doesn't cost you anything to do. However the point you make about having mostly married friends and family is something I hadn't though about. I'll have to go and count my single ladies now lol.

We don't like the raunchy-ness of the garter toss, so I think we may do a bowtie toss instead. My future brother-in-law did that for his wedding and it was just as affective Smiley smile
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Skipping it!
    Garter too.
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will definitely be skipping it! We both agree its a tradition that won't be missed.

• Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We won't be doing a garter toss, I have a few single friends who I know want to participate in the bouquet toss, so we are including it for them. Otherwise I would have skipped both!

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We skipped them, I don't see it done in too many weddings where I'm from, though I know they are popular in other regions

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We aren't doing the garter toss as the majority of our friends/family are married or in relationships. we are going to honour an important couple to us as the "bouquet toss". give them a bouquet and play their wedding song.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're skipping both because neither of us are fans of either.

• Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will be doing the garter and bouquet toss. To be honest, that was one of my favourite parts going to weddings as bad as that sounds haha
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing both, it will be fun and we are timing it so that hopefully it wakes people up a bit or gets everyone up again just about when things start to slow down
    we think it will be fun!
  • Marina
    Newbie September 2019 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing both the bouquet and garter toss, we think they’re both fun!
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is how I see it! Just a fun little event I don't take it too seriously! The first wedding my now fiancé and I went to (a mutual friend before we had started dating but I had a MASSIVE crush on him) I caught the bouquet and he came to me and said he had better propose Smiley xd Smiley love made my night! Haha!!! So I guess for me it kinda worked? Hahah!!! Smiley heart
  • Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing both! We just aren’t limiting the catching pool to single people. We are inviting everyone to attempt to catch both the bouquet and garter because we are handing out a Mickey of undecided alcohol to the winners! Haha.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re not doing either. I’m not a big fan of either of them and my fiancé didn’t care either way.
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are skipping both. One less thing to have to organize at the wedding. Well...two, actually!

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We aren't doing a bouquet toss. Instead we are giving away a bouquet to the longest married couple. We are still doing the garter toss because my FH really wanted to do it.

• Kayla
    Newbie May 2019 British Columbia
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Skipping both! I hate the idea of a garter toss, that’s so uncomfortable to me. And I want to keep my bouquet! I’m planning to have it professionally dried and framed in a shadow box.
  • Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're skipping both.

I've never actually seen a garter toss in any of the weddings I've attended, and neither of us like the idea anyway. And I'm not having flowers at all, so it would be weird to have a bouquet just to throw.

The last wedding I went to also skipped both. They had planned to have a bouquet toss, but they just forgot. I only realised it the next day (and I probably wouldn't have even thought about it if wasn't that the bride told me she had thought of just handing me the bouquet instead of tossing it - everyone was trying to find out when we'd get engaged at that point).

• Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Skipping both. We both hate the idea of a garter toss. And even when I was single and in a bridal party I wanted nothing to do with the bouquet toss. Plus your spending all that money and possibly time on the bouquet why would you just throw it away? Instead of tossing my bouquet I'm actually thinking of adopting a tradition from oversees and get my mom to take my bouquet and lay it on my grandmothers grave who has passed away.

I think if you wanted to skip it no one would even notice by the end of the night.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are probably doing it. It's fun and everyone gets a good laugh at it. It's probably one of my favourite things at a wedding reception! I've seen people alter it for married couples if there are not singles. It's one of those things you can just have fun with.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will be having the bouquet toss/garter toss but to be fair we are not allowing anybody younger than 18 at our wedding and we have at least a handful of singles on both sides of our guest list.

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Skipping both, I just don't see a need for it. Plus that means another cost for a 2nd bouquet or garter if you want to keep your original ones.

• Catherine
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Catherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re skipping it. We have so few single guests, and I always found them a little embarrassing when I was single. To each their own though!
  • J
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    JuneBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are skipping both. I've never been a fan of the bouquet toss and it's always been awkward for me just watching the groom take off the garter, let alone be the bride.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are skipping both. Most of our friends are married too. So for us there’s no point. It’s one tradition I’m not big into

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics