Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alissa
Frequent user September 2020 British Columbia

Am i crazy for not wanting decor?!

Alissa, on April 13, 2018 at 00:19 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 15
I have recently gone and viewed a venue that I liked very much. I am going into this process with the understanding that when you need to accommodate 300 guests, the venue is not going to be GORGEOUS, as those places usually cut off at 150 capacity. I found a ballroom that has recently been refinished, it looks crisp and bright and the paint actually matches my wedding colors. I am not a flashy person, and have always said I'd rather put my budget into a good meal and an open bar instead of excessive decor. I will be happy with some chair covers and simple centerpieces. When I expressed this to my MOH, she immediately told me I'd regret it, and that I should at least invest in a backdrop for some photos. Her opinion really matters to me and I'm reluctatly looking into it but I really feel like it's not money I need to spend if my goal is just to show my guests a good time. Is she right? Will I regret not having an 'insta'-worthy reception venue?

15 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on April 17, 2018 at 00:08
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm just doing centrepieces, which are first going to be used along the aisle in the ceremony. And, I have one other thing that I'm not even sure my fiance will like! I don't think decor is very important to be honest. It looks nice in pictures, yes, but people won't remember what your venue looks like! I remember one centrepiece from a wedding and that is because it was the last wedding I went to! I don't remember decor from anyone else's wedding! And, some people put a lot of money into their decor.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm also not doing a whole lot of décor and I feel great about my decision. I purposely picked a venue that wouldn't require draping because I personally don't like the look of it.

You do you and have it decorated (or not decorated) as you please. Also, did your MOH offer to pay for this backdrop? Backdrops are expensive and she should consider this when making suggestions.

• Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You're totally right!!! The table decorations will be the only thing people would really ever miss. My sister-in-law got married in September, and all of her decorations were flower based, and the a-hole florist never showed!!! Some good friends pulled together enough last minute centrepieces from a local grocery store, and no one except her closest people even knew anything had happened! All 240 guests had an amazing time WITHOUT exsessive backdrops! I think your venue is grand enough that some modest centerpieces will be plenty! And after a few drinks from the open bar no one will mind at all Smiley winking

I also agree with Brittany! When the room fils up with people, THEY will become the decorations! A wedding is more a wedding g with guests rather than decorations. The people define how good the wedding is, not the look of the place Smiley smile
  • Alissa
    Frequent user September 2020 British Columbia
    Alissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I took this photo while they were setting up for a fair of some kind. I really think table decor will do just fine. I mean other than behind the stage where the head table will be, wont draping will just close the space in?

Am i crazy for not wanting decor?! 1
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Do you have any pictures of the hall you're having the wedding in? I think it's okay to go with minimal decor. Perhaps she thinks it will look barren, but you'll be having tables and most likely centerpieces.

There's also probably some natural backdrops at the venue... we aren't doing anything fancy for guest pictures but we do have some nice stone walls or darker wood paneling that is nice Smiley smile

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Stick to your guns. Your MOH wants lots of decor? Help her pick it out for her wedding. You know in your gut how you want your venue to look/feel. If it fits your style, and the look you want, to keep it simple, and let the space speak for itself, do it!

My venue is gorgeous as is. I will barely be doing any decor. To an outsider's ears, that may sound plain or boring, but I know in my head what it will look like, and it will be perfect.

Also remember, you're seeing the room empty... in the day light. Once all the tables, chairs, place settings, podiums, head table, buffet tables (maybe?) etc are set up, and the room is FULL OF PEOPLE, you're not going to be missing the extra pieces of decor. For example, my venue below, that is simple white linens, no chair covers, and no additional decor (lights on beams are permanently there).

Most important thing to remember, it's your wedding. It's your choice. If you're worried about photos, scout out some good photo locations before the wedding!

My VenueAm i crazy for not wanting decor?! 2

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I say stick to what you feel will work for your guests. If you have some great centrepieces and chair covers, they can really make the venue pop. Use your money for what you think, people will definitely remember the meal more than the decor, and probably appreciate the open bar.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think your MOH might be more concerned about looking back on your photos years from now. Will you regret in the future not making the venue more jazzy when you look back on photos?

For me the atmosphere is as important as the meal and drinks! But of course to each their own! Of course the savings will be quite a lot as decor can jack up the price quite a bit... I've been trying to do most of mine DIY to save some costs but I'm still big on them!

For the backdrop I would maybe ask some of your guests what their opinions are? Will your friends use a backdrop for photos if it's there? It would be a drag to put up a backdrop and have it be ignored because your guests aren't one to really use it.

Another idea instead of a backdrop! You can make a SnapChat filter to use on your wedding day that people with the app can use! Super cheap option to give some pizzaz to photos!

• Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I HAD to get decor for my hallspace- not a lot, but just enough to liven up the space. a bit of draping/backdrop and a cherry blossom archway where the sweetheart table is
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think what you have in mind sounds great! Guests will appreciate a great meal and an open bar. I can see her point about a photo booth, they are added entertainment for your guests, you can rent them or diy something inexpensive but it’s totally up to you and your fiancé!
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Remember its your wedding and stick to the vision you want to see for your day! If you don't want décor and this place is amazing and no need to ruin the look with décor, then leave it out! I completely understand specially with the amount of guests. It is about the enjoyment not about looks.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you will have more regret about not being true to your own vision than having or not having a backdrop. Some places don't need any decor to be special and it sounds like you have found that place for you!

• Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think you should do whatever you want - it's your wedding, after all! Here's the first thing to remember: With 300 people coming to your wedding, you can't possibly please everyone. Someone will ALWAYS find SOMETHING to complain about, so you can't think about other peoples' wants (that much). If you would rather have a better meal for everyone, do that (they will notice, I promise, but again, not everyone will love it). Decorations could take away from the beauty of the space. The right ones could add to it, yes, but some spaces don't need more.
    Of course you value your MOH's opinion! That's why she's standing next to you on your big day! But she should also respect that it's YOUR day and YOUR wedding. If you guys can come to a compromise on the look of the backdrop, maybe she buys it for you as a wedding present?
  • Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with April! I’m the same type of person and for our wedding I’d say we are going with simple and minimalist and as a professional event planner I would say sometimes too much decor can actually take away from the ambiance.

We we are doing simple centrepieces as
    well. Our venue has 2 fireplaces so I’m going to be adding some florals and lanterns around those but that’s really it.

the great thing is we all have a right to our own individuality and there isn’t really a right or wrong way just personal opinion. You do you girl!
  • April
    Frequent user June 2018 British Columbia
    April ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you will regret not doing what you want, and letting other people decide how you spend your money. If you don't want it, don't have it. if you want to see happy smiling faces, I think you're on the right track. You could always suggest to the MOH that you had decided that wasn't in the budget, but if she felt it was needed, that she could go ahead and order it?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics