Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Your wedding dress - showing it off or keeping it super secret?

Joey, on September 18, 2018 at 08:05 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 22

If you've said yes to the dress, are you keeping it a total secret? If you're sharing it, who is allowed into the inner circle? A friend? Your mom? Your grandparents? Your wedding party? Your partner? Are you giving anyone any clues about what it looks like?

Your wedding dress - showing it off or keeping it super secret? 1

Photo by Christopher Luk in Toronto

22 Comments

Latest activity by Brittany, on September 19, 2018 at 15:30
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thankfully for me, I have all you lovely ladies! So I got a bit of both! I showed my bridesmaids/mom my dress when it came in, because they were there when I bought it. I should a few girls who I'm closer to, but overall I'm keeping it on the DL.

I posted my dress here when I said yes, so it's kind of like showing everyone, without having to show anyone... right? Haha.

• Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Defiently keeping it a secret. My family has wayyyy to many opinions, positive or negative. And it’s going to be more special on the day of reveal.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I shared! I was too excited to not show it off! I texted my closest girlfriends who all live in another province. And my sister-in-law who showed it to my nephews (ages 6, 4, 2). And they all approved! And any coworker that asked if I had picked my dress yet got to see it. So, pretty much it was just a surprise for my dad and my husband!

Cute story about my four year old nephew. We were visiting and he said to me “auntie, your dress looks really soft.” My husband (then fiancé) was sitting beside me, covers his ears, and says “I don’t want to know about it”. My nephew looks at him, big brown eyes, and says “it’s not red”!!!!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I want to keep it a secret when I get it to just a few select people. I want it to be a surprise!

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I want it to be secret but honestly I’m probabky gonna show everyone when I get it. I just get too excited
  • Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have shown so many people! I just love it and cant help it. Only person I am determined not to show is my FH...though even that is tempting sometimes.

• Monica
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    Monica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Haven’t posted a pic on any social media, but have shown friends/colleagues who have asked. And my immediate family (mom, dad, brother and sister) have seen it. My mom and sister were the ones who accompanied me and helped me choose!
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My bridal party and some of my family have seen the sample dress. I got my dress in and it needs a few alterations but I'm keeping it a secret until the big day. My mom is coming to see it in person, along with my MOH in two weeks and I'm pretty excited!!

• A
    Devoted October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am going to keep it a secret from most, except who's with me when I find it. Ie MOH. The plan is to take a picture of myself in another dress and say its that.
  • Lizmridha
    Curious November 2018 Ontario
    Lizmridha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Only my sister (who's the MOH) and my MOM. We are doing first look photos, so FH can't see it for sure. He did sneak a peek though Smiley smile

• E
    Curious August 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My mom was with me when we picked it, i sent pictures to my mil and fil and I took my dad the following day to show him and he paid for it! I sent pictures to my brothers wife because were real close but that’s it. Nobody else gets to see it till the big day. My fh won’t see it till the big day but has asked little questions about the colour and fit. He had one request going into dress shopping and that was that he hoped I’d choose a fit and flare dress. Lucky for him I aswell as everyone else happened to fall in love with a fit and flair gown!.
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Mostly secret. my aunt and 2 cousins (for wedding things they are my mom and my sisters as I don't have those), my FMIL, my girls. and one very close friend (who is also my photographer).

other good friends/family have asked and I won't show them. I tell them its a secret.

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Showing it off to direct family only, extended family and other guests will need to wait Smiley smile

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Only my mom has seen it... notshowing anyone else
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My bridal party, Step Mom, and my grandma have all seen it as half of them were there. A few people I am close with from work have seen it as they will not be attending the wedding.

Other than that, I am keeping it a secret. It also helps that the dress I tried on is not the same colour as I have ordered. So it will look different to everyone the day of.

My FH does not want to see it at all, he didn't even want to see any of the ones that I tried on.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not posting anything on social media, but I've been showing pictures to friends and family who've asked to see it. My FH doesn't want to see it until I walk down the aisle! Smiley heart

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've been showing friends and family, people love talking about the dress. My fiance hasn't seen it per his mom's request, we don't really care between us. Although, as the day gets closer, I hope for a nice tearful moment when he seems me, which I'm more likely to get with a surprise.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've been showing everyone who asks! My fiancée was with me when I got it but we're keeping it a secret that she knows. So everyone keeps teasing her thinking she's the only one who doesn't know Smiley xd

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A bit of both - SUPER secret from my fiancé. He actually asked not to see it - he has impulse control issues sometimes, too, so he asked me to keep it at someone else's house so he didn't do something he regrets! Also a super secret from my 5 year old niece (we're doing a special 'Princess Peek' so we can capture her reactions on camera on the morning of!), and my dad. Smiley smile Secret from 99% of our guests.

My mom's seen it, as has my grandma - I face timed them when I bought it (My mom had come to a half dozen appointments with me and I just happened to find the dress on one she couldn't come to) - they were with my grandfather, who was very ill with cancer at the time - I wanted him to see since I knew he wouldn't make it to the wedding. My bridesmaids have seen it, as has a few of my closest friends. I suck at keeping secrets!

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went with my dad and stepmom so obviously they have seen it. Then I showed my mom because she was upset she didn't get to see me try dresses on. My bridesmaids have seen it, the bestman and my hair stylist. That's it. The rest can wait till the wedding day! I also posted a picture of it here a while back too!
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't have mine yet but I will be taking my Mom, Dad, Sister (MOH), Baba, and FMIL. Other than them I think maybe my Best friend but not too many others as I want it to be a surprise!

OH! And wedding wire will get to see it of course!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My bridal party and both moms know my dress as they were there when I picked it! It will be 100% hidden from my FH! I have shown it to a few people in person but I will not send a photo to anyone or post it anywhere online!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics