Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Brittany
Devoted December 2022 Yucatán

Your Wedding Date

Brittany, on June 21, 2021 at 11:40 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 26

Hi Everyone!

Let's start a discussion about our wedding dates and why we chose them! I'll go first.

When I first got engaged this past March, at first we wanted to do something in the Banff/Canmore area and have a small elopement with immediate family and really close friends, I also wanted it in the late spring time because it is the perfect temperature - not too hot nor too cold. So we decided May 21, 2023, it gave us enough time to add to our savings and for family and friends to make the necessary arrangements to be able to come to Banff/Canmore. Then word from my fiancé's work came that we can not book any time off during an exercise (he is in the military) So we switched it to March 18, 2023 which we settle on for about a week until I came home from work one day and decided that March in Alberta was gross and cold and I really wanted to incorporate the outside so we were kind of stumped for a while. Eventually as more family and friends contacted us the more the guest list went up and then we decided we will just do the wedding in Edmonton.

After sitting for a few days about dates my fiancé suggested we do a Christmas wedding which I was hooked on so our date was December 3, 2022. We met with a few indoor vendors in the Edmonton area, got an estimate done up and had an appointment at the end of July to put a deposit down on a place. At first I was really excited about this but then I felt like I completely lost sight of what we originally wanted which was to go to Banff for our wedding. I got way too caught up in the idea of just being married as soon as possible that I just threw everything what we actually wanted out the door.

This past weekend we had a discussion regarding what we really wanted and if we needed to take a step back and really think about it, but I was pretty adamant and same with my fiancé that we do still really want a mountain wedding ceremony followed by a nice little reception party with the family and friends. After doing research and budgeting ALL weekend long I have found a few places that are within our budget that we are going to check out on our summer vacation this August and have ultimately decided to do a Summer 2023 wedding! I have August 19th, 2023 at the moment but right now it depends on availability. So I just put something down for the sake of Wedding Wire because we can't leave it blank.

I have went through and deleted EVERYTHING that was saved in my phone and Pinterest boards - all of it and we are starting from scratch and taking things very slow on terms of colors, dates, themes (even though we have an idea). I literally only have 4 places lined up that I need to contact to go check out!

And I cannot explain to you all how excited I am about this - Yes it is 26 months away - but that just means I can splurge on some extras because I will have the extra cash!! SO EXCITING Smiley smile

So tell me your stories!!

26 Comments

Latest activity by Tunisha, on June 26, 2021 at 20:49
  • Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You know!! Thank you so much, I am loving it and hoping that it looks like that when it’s my time. Haha
  • Tunisha
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hahahahahha! Oh yeah! Then that’s a good option there. Hahahah!!
  • Gift
    Frequent user October 2021 Alberta
    Gift ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh my! this background is everything 😍😍😍
  • Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's definitely an option.... my dad is moving there in 2.5 weeks LOL

• Tunisha
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Tell me about it!!!!!!!!! Thank you, the excitement for my fiancé and I are real. Hahaha!
    Yes, come to Ottawa and you’ll definitely get married there. 😂😂😂😂
  • Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Omg that is absolutely gorgeous. Can I get married there? LOL

• Tunisha
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much Brittany!!!! 😁💕
    Oh yes, I’m so excited to see how it’s going to be be. I love love Fall 🍁. Ohhhhhhh yes, that would be so cool!!

Look at the background for the venue I have, I cannot wait to see how it will look on the wedding day.
    Your Wedding Date 1
    Your Wedding Date 2

• T
    Curious May 2022 Alberta
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh, I know there is a huge back log! When I say 'working on a venue' I mean going back and forth with the venue before signing the contract. They have a curtesy hold on the date for 30 days before we have to pay the deposit so it's not that we haven't done anything, we are working on it!

• Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love May - its a gorgeous time of the year! and that's great that you were able to come up with a date so easily! If you're doing your wedding in 2022 of May - I suggest you book a place asap. Venues are booking really fast for 2022 where there is like no dates available and already booking well into peak season of 2023 Smiley smile

• T
    Curious May 2022 Alberta
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We decided fairly quickly but we are still working on the venue so I guess it's not actually official yet. We knew we wanted to get married in BC, so it's a destination wedding for us. My work schedule can be tricky sometimes but I figured out that I can pretty safely take May off. I suggested May and my fiancé was like 'I wasn't going to suggest it, but since you said May I think it would be fun to get married on May the 4th!' So that's the date lol
    I'm hoping to get 5 weeks off work to drive to wedding location the week before and then spend almost 4 weeks after as a honeymooon in BC/Alberta before going home!

• Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks, it was a lot of going back and forth. Sending each other a list of dates and scratching out what wouldn't work because of our jobs. Now we are just waiting for the calendars to open up of these venues and check them out this summer and finally putting a deposit down. Wedding venues in the mountains book really quickly, there is one place we really like that is absolutely gorgeous and they pretty much have all of their summer of 2023 booked up. And we are trying to keep it as minimal as possible but still within the theme of our wedding.

• Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's amazing! I am so happy you got the date that you wanted! October weddings would be awesome. I am a huge fan of Halloween so it would definitely be a darker theme in a creepy barn for me in Alberta LOL.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Its great news to hear you two had to sit down and look at this date choosing wisely before booking anything and how you really wanted it taken place. Small guest is better than nothing and truly better to have less to worry about for décor and savings to put towards other things. I had to consider for 72 guests what I also wanted and based on the invitations and menu cards created colour wise. You two will really enjoy your day as it will be yours to celebrate forever.
  • Tunisha
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé and I are planning to get married October 16th, 2021! It became official official last week Tuesday with our venue. We had a lot of hurdles of dates and venues (that we did not have to pay for) to having to rent tents and what not. We’re getting our house September 30th and wanted a date after that, so that we can have our house ready when it’s time to move it. We had a soft hold on November 16th. With all the date change, we were hoping for any date in October since we had to wait for any dates to be cancelled in October. We are so excited we finally have it! 😁
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm kinda in the same boat because of my job. I'm a merchandiser for Laura Canada and a security guard at Rogers Place. I can't take any time off during end of September to the end of March because of hockey and concerts except this year because of covid. So we only had a few options to go with so we thought why not August

• Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Such an amazing date, I really like that too but it's too early at the start of the month that it would be impossible for me to take off from work. I work in the accounting field and I have very strict deadlines the first two weeks of every month. So it's literally impossible to take the time off I would want. It is also too close to my birthday, I don't know why but I think its weird to have a wedding anniversary on or close to your birthday, but if it wasn't I would be aiming for something like that too in Alberta because that's usually when its the best weather here too.

• Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not to mention, all the 2020 brides postponing to 2021 - I can understand why it booked so fast! but that sounds like a wonderful date Smiley smile A longer weekend so a lot of people don't have to book extra time off! I am also getting married in the Banff/Canmore area and I can not be more excited. It truly is a beautiful place and I can't believe I was so close to settling on something I didn't want 100%.

• Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I feel you on the time off for work. With my fiancé being in the military we can not book between April to the beginning of June, mid September to mid October. On top of it, even though they technically get summer vacation, they have to alternate and the others have to be on call for fires in my province, so they can't be outside of base limits by 100 km. So that takes up the majority of summer as well. Since I work in accounting, I can not take the first two weeks off of the month because I have strict deadlines, so it has to be the last 2-3 weeks of the month (depending on the way the week lines up).

So it has been very difficult, sometimes to the point where I feel like to just say screw it and elope when were on vacation and just hold a reception later for everyone.

And hopefully Canada is fully open by 2022 - I can not imagine post-poning all the time. Must be difficult.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I knew when we were going to get married before we had gotten engaged. The conversation had come up a few times before hand. We both wanted it to be in the summer and when we was going to be the best weather. Usually the last couple of weeks of July and the first couple of weeks in August in Kelowna are the hottest times of the year. Ranging from 32-39 most days. So we picked the first weekend in August (Saturday August 8 2020) but then we had to postpone because of covid and we were lucky enough to switch dates and get the same weekend Saturday August 7 2021! But then of course the start of this year didn't look very promising so we both decided it was best to push the wedding one more year. We are so so grateful that we go the same weekend once again just on a Sunday! August 7 2022 Smiley heart

• Caitlyn
    Frequent user September 2021 Alberta
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    When we got engaged in January of 2020, we both agreed that we wanted a late summer wedding, but that having it that year was too soon and we wanted to enjoy our engagement. To our shock, when we went to look at venues in February of 2020, a lot of good summer dates for 2021 had already been snagged (it makes sense, we are getting married in Canmore and it's a popular destination). When we decided on our venue we took a look at their availability for summer 2021, and it was either compromise and have a Thursday wedding in August, a weekend wedding in April, or the Friday of the September long weekend. We were sold on the Friday of the long weekend so we booked it ASAP!

I'm beyond thankful that we picked that date, because it's looking like *knock on wood* we will be able to go ahead with our original dream wedding! I also can't believe the wedding is only 70-something days away 😲
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our biggest hurdle is getting time off of work. So we decided to just go for an off peak wedding (which saves us a lot of money as well, win-win). Our venue gives us a huge discount for weddings in Jan and Feb so our first date was Feb 20, 2021 but covid so second date is Jan 29, 2022. So fingers crossed this one works out better.
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It's so nice when you and your Fiancé are the same page for wedding dates!
  • Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Early fall/late summer is a beautiful time to get married. I am hoping for the same in Alberta.

And I have never heard about that, its great to learn something new about other cultures.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were originally a winter wedding and picked based on December availability. Due to covid, we pivoted to a late summer/early fall wedding so that we can keep things outdoors with a lower chance of rain. We ended up with September 5, 2021.

When picking wedding dates, Chinese people (or at least those with superstitious Chinese parents) need to find dates that auspicious for weddings. There are certain dates that are considered great for weddings and some that are absolutely bad luck. So not only did we have to try and secure a date in a busy wedding season (not just from those who planned to get married in 2021 but also against all the 2020 couples who postponed), not all Saturdays or long weekend Sundays are suitable and being in a city with a major Chinese population, it was tough finding a date that worked.

• Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is so sweeeeet Smiley smile My fiancé and I did the same thing with picking a bunch of dates. We sent them to each other and figured we had almost the exact same dates and came up with the 19th of August. We still have the others as a back up just in case for availability.

I wish you all the best of your May 22, 2022 wedding. It really is a gorgeous time of the year. Its Literally a day off from what I originally wanted lol

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are getting married May 22, 2022. We actually had a very easy time picking our date. I knew I wanted a spring/summer wedding. We got engaged in Dec 2020 but figured this year was too unpredictable for weddings so we quickly settled on 2022. Then we each looked at a calendar and wrote down all the potential wedding days between May-August we liked. Then we picked a top 5 I think it was. Then we decided to point at which date was our favorite and we pointed at the same date! So May 22, 2022 it was!

I also like that is has a similar numeric pattern to our original anniversary which is August 17, 2017!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics