Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Natalee
Curious October 2018 Ontario

Wording on Invites...

Natalee, on March 6, 2018 at 20:55 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 13

Hi there, Newbie here.

I am inviting about 80 people to a sit down dinner and maybe 20 extras to the reception afterwards. I would like to know if there is a way to invite the 20 extra people to the ceremony as well and then not the dinner without being Rude or insensitive...or just leave them out of the ceremony all together? Help please?

I really want them a part of the whole day just cannot afford it.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Natalee

13 Comments

Latest activity by Marie-Claire, on March 8, 2018 at 10:01
  • Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It really depends what relationship you have with them. I have been invited to a ceremony and reception without the dinner before, and I certainly wasn't offended, because I wasn't that close to the bride and groom and knew they couldn't afford to pay dinner for everyone. Also, I was with a group of friends, so we just went to a restaurant together.

In that case, they just invited us in person, so that's not much help for the wording, but basically they told us to join them for the dance.

I think inviting people to join you for the dance or for dessert would work, since both of those options imply that there's no meal included.

• Natalee
    Natalee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I will ask the 20 to come to the dance and if some ask to come to ceremony then I will tell them it’s ok.
  • Natalee
    Natalee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you ladies. All your words pretty much summed up how I was feeling. Pretty hard to do what I was wanting to do. Smiley cry
    Just trying to make everyone happy but I don’t think it’s going to happen.
    Thanks again.
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think logistics would be difficult as other Brides have mentioned.

I would probably only invite them to the reception at the end instead of to the ceremony as I think it may be awkward to have them at both. At the ceremony, they may speak with people who are invited to the dinner portion and then be confused to why they were not invited to that portion.

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It would be a tricky situation either way, and you do risk them walking in mid-way to dinner, or being offended, but I wouldn't invite them to both and not the dinner.

If this were the case, I would invite them only to the reception and state the reception as a "dance" or only the ceremony.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you can’t afford to have everyone for a dinner, I would suggest having an appetizer or dessert reception instead. I don’t think there’s a nice way to invite people to some parts of the celebration but not all of it.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It's doable that's for sure. You could give those extra 20 people a different invitation that only mentions the ceremony and the reception. You'll risk them arriving and expecting food unless you clearly state no meal on the invitation. Or you could just not invite them to the ceremony at all and just the reception. Either way you will run the risk of them being either offended or upset about either not being invited to the dinner or not being invited to the ceremony and dinner. It's a tricky situation if you ask me.
  • Natalee
    Natalee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Correct. Is it too much?
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    And to clarify again..you only want to invite those extra 20 to just the ceremony and reception, not the dinner?
  • Natalee
    Natalee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sorry I was writing in a hurry and didn’t reread it.
    Ceremony then dinner and then reception.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am also a little confused with your timeline. Let's see if I get this.. your having the ceremony then after a sit-down dinner and reception? Or is the sit-down dinner the reception? Sorry I just am really having a hard time understanding your actually time line of the day, maybe you can clearify it for me? My guess: Ceremony, reception, sit-down dinner.
  • Natalee
    Natalee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ceremony is before. Sorry. Smiley winking
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your ceremony is after your reception? Or your ceremony is before your reception? The way you worded things is a little confusing.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics