Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Brittany
Beginner October 2021 Ontario

Will eloping in light of Covid-19 take away from the big day if postponed to next year?

Brittany, on April 29, 2020 at 13:58 Posted in Plan a wedding 1 11

I'm sure many of us are in this same situation, but does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this? Our wedding date is October 17th, 2020, which I know is still quite far away. Even with a relatively small guest list (~65), I'm still concerned about the likelihood of being able to keep everything as planned. I've seen a lot of people opting for having an intimate ceremony/elopement with plans to hold a proper ceremony/reception around a year later. Do you think this would "take away" from the big day (i.e. the year later celebration), or would it be like getting to have TWO special days?

Any input is appreciated!

To clarify, by "eloping" I don't mean travelling internationally! Just something where it is just us, the officiant, and the required witnesses. Maybe one of those Niagara Falls drive through weddings.. anyone know more about that?

Thank you!

11 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on May 7, 2020 at 18:04
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The way I see it now, it's really two different celebrations. The ceremony, which is really for you and your fiance, is special for it's own reason--the two of you declaring your love for each other. Is it nice to have other people there--absolutely, but I barely noticed anyone else during the ceremony. Then, it goes from this intimate moment where it feels like just the two of you, to a busy evening filled with everyone you love and want to talk to. The reception is where you really get to see/talk to people, barely spend anytime with your new spouse, and let loose. I feel like the ceremony was there and gone--didn't get to absorb it with my new husband. I think it's going to be just as special to do it on separate days! They will look and feel different, but that's ok, I think each one will be special in it's own way.

• Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We just decided we’re going this route. It’s still unofficial as I’m waiting to hear from our venue etc but so far we decided we’ll elope and then do the reception next year. I question if it will still be special too. But I think covid kind of gives us a hall pass lol. It’s just a very unique circumstance. Friends and family will be happy and excited for us regardless Smiley smile
  • Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So we made the decision! We have decided to postpone, but will still be getting legally married on our original date Smiley smile I feel very happy with our choice, and I feel that it really is the best of both worlds (other than, of course, not having this issue at all LOL). Thanks for everyone's input! If anyone else is in a similar situation, feel free to use this thread as somewhere to post Smiley smile

• Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Omg thank you! Yes, and actually, I think we have made our decision. I contacted a few of our vendors just now to let them know about our plans and see what we can do about selecting a new date for next year. I feel so much more excited knowing that all my countdowns that I have going are all still counting down to something special Smiley smile AND the more that I reached out to close friends and family, the more I feel that everyone will still view our wedding day in 2021 just the same Smiley smile

Thank you for your input!

• Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

For sure!! I'm happy that you can still see the light and enjoy your day regardless, even if it looks a little different! Thanks for the response!

• Beatriz
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Beatriz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I honestly think that given the circumstance you’d still have two very special days. One, because eloping with your FH in midst of the pandemic is kind of romantic and special, that even in adversity you are sticking together. Having a party after to celebrate your love with your loved ones once all of this is over will be special in a different kind of way. Sure you’ll be technically married already, but your friends and family will be part of the celebration, and I’m guessing a lot of people will be looking forward some socialization once it’s safe. You’ll still get that wedding experience..... that’s just my opinion.
  • Haylee
    Frequent user July 2020 Ontario
    Haylee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We aren't making an official announcement until the 2 month mark (May 25), as I haven't even sent out invitations yet. Our wedding was going to be around the same size as yours. But I'm sure at this point we'll end up doing a very intimate ceremony. It won't be exactly what I envisioned. I will miss having my dad walk me down the aisle in front of all our family and friends. But, I am of the mindset that we will get to have two special days. If we do it on our anniversary next year, it would be a totally fun and unique way to celebrate. Plus you get to show off your dress twice! We're religious, and don't live together, so we're doing this regardless. Just want to be married!

• Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for your response!! Ya I definitely worry about that too, but I think that I could swing it in a way where I would feel that both ceremonies would be special Smiley smile Hopefully, lol.

• Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you for your response! Yeah I totally agree that it is important to be upfront with friends and family about our plans. I'm going to take some time to think about it, but right now my FH and I are both pretty into the having two ceremonies idea Smiley smile

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think you should do whatever it is that you want to do. With COVID your friends and family will likely be very understanding of a choice to do a private ceremony this year and then a reception type of party sometime next year when this has cleared up.

I just encourage you to not hide the fact that you got married legally when you did, that can lead to some hurt feelings from friends and family that you were not honest with them.
    If you don’t want to have two celebrations then you can either have your wedding after COVID or do your small ceremony plans. An intimate ceremony is just as valid and beautiful as one where there are many people in attendance.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think everyone is different in how they think, or want to plan, their wedding during COVID.

Me, for example, I thought having a second “wedding” or reception next year was not magical at all for me and just felt like I was throwing a party to throw one.
    That’s me though!
    If you and your FH want to have two special days - do it! There’s nothing wrong with it at all. Do what feels right for you guys. Whatever you decide you’ll have the perfect day(s)!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics