Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
VIP September 2023 Ontario

Who's in your Party?

Carine, on June 13, 2022 at 12:52 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 40

Who is in the wedding party? (how did you decide, how many people, if you're skipping it entirely, how do you know them, or how long you've known them, if you're including siblings or future in-laws)

40 Comments

Latest activity by Carine, on December 8, 2022 at 10:28
  • C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Less stress that way. Sounds like you both have amazing friends and family.

• C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think that is great, it's nice to have the kids there and I am sure they appreciate being included.

• D
    Featured September 2022 Alberta
    Derek ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had 3 aside in our wedding party. My wife's and my best friends were matron of honor and best man respectively, her youngest daughter and a co-worker of mine were her bridesmaids. Her son and brother were the other groomsmen. We had originally planned 4 a side but 2 declined for various reasons, so rather than try to find new ones we stuck with what we had.
  • Liza
    Newbie October 2023 British Columbia
    Liza ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Second marriage for both of us so we decided to keep things small and intimate. No "wedding party" per se but we are having our kids stand up with us.

• C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know a few people that did that and it was still beautiful. My MOH is planning mine, but really I am, feel odd getting her to pay for my shower and Bachelorette parties, things are expensive as it is, so to have someone do it all on their own I just can't.

• T
    Curious May 2022 Alberta
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't have one! We did have to chose who signed the license but we didn't have anyone walk down the aisle. I've been MOH twice, once for my older sister and once for my University room mate (so practically family) so it stressed me out too much to chose someone, I also have another unmarried sister etc. There was less drama but also I didn't have a bachelorette or shower because I wasn't going to plan one myself and I guess there was no one whose 'job' it was.

• C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Friends are the family you chose. Smiley winking

• D
    Derek ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Excellent! It's fortunate that you had a backup lined up for something like that. It's good that you have people so close to you for a wedding even when they are not blood relatives.

• C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think that sounds great! My FH decided he wanted to add a 3 person to his side, luckily I had a back up on standby who said yes.

I have 3 great people on my side who are not blood relatives but I consider my sisters. and he has his brother and two childhood friends.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    4 wedding party only which consisted a colour to each side. 2 MOHs and 2 BM (Best Man).
  • D
    Derek ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having 3 a side. Originally the plan was to have 4 a side but we had 2 people decline, 1 for very strange reasons. In any case we felt it was easier to just stick with the numbers who said yes. Both my best friend and hers are serving as best man & matron of honor (respectively), while her daughter and a dear co-worker of mine are serving as bridesmaids. Her son and oldest brother are serving as groomsmen (I have no surviving siblings).
  • Yami
    Frequent user October 2022 Ontario
    Yami ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for the assurance, Carine! 🤗
  • C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's why I decided to cut to two each, he would have 3 on his side and I've 10. lol

• C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nothing wrong with that, I 've been to two weddings where they did not have a wedding party and it was just as perfect.

• Yami
    Frequent user October 2022 Ontario
    Yami ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Skipping the wedding party! Most of my best friends and my sister won’t be able to fly in so we just decided to not have any.
  • Farrah
    Curious April 2023 British Columbia
    Farrah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our wedding party is a bit uneven but we're happy with it!

My fiance has a total of 5: 4 of his closest friends (1 will be the best man) and 1 of his cousins.

I have 8 on my side (oops haha). 2 are my fiance's sisters, my niece, 1 BFF from elementary school, 2 friends from high school, and 2 friends I met while serving.

• C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The OCD in me felt the same we needed even numbers. I just wouldn't be able to look at our photos with uneven numbers. lol.

• C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That sounded perfect, and so true, friends are the family you get to choose. Smiley heart

• Kelsey
    Frequent user August 2022 Alberta
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We both have 4 on each side. My FH has 4 friends, 2 male and 2 female. I have my 3 closest friends and my sister. We are having my FHs sister and grandfather do our ceremony, so we have everyone included. It was an easy decision.

For my brain, I needed balance on both sides haha. Not saying everyone has to, but that visual balance brings me peace. I could have easily picked a few more friends, but we settled on 4 each.
  • Danielle
    Frequent user April 2022 Ontario
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My bridal party was absolutely such an easy decision. I wanted to keep it on the smaller side and we weren’t concerned with having the same number of guys and girls so we both chose without that pressure. My MOH was my sister, bridesmaids were my sister-in-law, and two close friends I met 10 and 12yrs ago at the same job. My Jr. bridesmaid was my 10yr old niece/littlest bff. It was also important to me to choose a group of girls I absolutely knew would hit it off and get along so well Smiley smile They all said speeches at the wedding that I watch back teary eyed - I could not have chosen a better group of girls. It’s a beautiful thing to have friends that feel like family and family that feels like friends Smiley smile
  • A
    Super September 2022 Alberta
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes absolutely!!!
  • C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s great to include friends and family.
  • C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That really does suck but an eye opener. I find weddings closes so many doors on friendship and opens your eyes to who you thought were your friends. No bad blood just don’t have time for games like that.
  • C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I feel the same we have 40 and we chose two people. The one friend that might be the jealous one gave me attitude and said she probably won’t be going to my wedding because she already has 4 before I could tell her the date. After the attitude she was like when’s your date when I told her she was like oh okay I have no wedding so far for next year. So I’m kind of glad not have picked her. And my other bestfriend she lives far and her coming depends on budget so I gave a role but if she doesn’t come no biggy.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Bridesmaids were all family (sister and cousins) + 1 best friend of hers. Groomsmen were cousins and close friends of 10+ years.

• Malyssa
    Expert October 2022 Alberta
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For me, it was an easy pick on my side. My ride or die, sister from another mister, bestie of over 20 years. My FH picked 3 guys, his brother (BM) and 2 best friends (GM).

When we were originally discussing our bridal party, it was a concern on both our parts, as he really wanted at least the 3 guys involved and I really only had the one. I could of scrapped together 2 other girls to fill the spots, but would have felt forced, and I didn't want him to not have who he wanted by his side. So we are going uneven and Im so happy with those choices.

• A
    Super September 2022 Alberta
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Nope she was extremely mad at me. And I was heart broken because I did my best at trying to include all the girls in something but it was hard with Covid. She can be very selfish. So I’ve just distanced myself from her , unfortunately I am not as close with her anymore but it’s just not my focus! If she can’t be happy for me the way I would be for her then that’s fine! I have lots of people in my life who do love and support me ☺️
    But kinda the reason why I didn’t choose her as a maid of honour in the first place because she can be catty lol so it kinda proved my point but it’s still a huge honour to be apart of our wedding and be in the wedding party but that wasn’t good enough for her lol
    Yes def Hard when she lives so far away! But this all happened in September so there isn’t bad blood between us we just aren’t as close which I’m fine with! I’m close with all my other bridesmaids 🥰
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We're also have a small wedding of about 60 people. I didn't care if people got jealous if they weren't picked to be apart of the wedding party. It's your day and you are able to choose whoever you want. Alot of people these days just assume things lol. So we just picked one each and that was that. I'm so glad that we only have one each. It was so easy to pick out suits and bridal party dresses without so much hassel
  • Stephanie
    Frequent user February 2024 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My side, is 1 daughter is MOH, other 2 are BM's, my bestie is also a BM, my granddaughter is my flower girl (she'll be 8), my 2 grandsons (5 and 13).
    He hasn't figured out his side yet 🤣
  • C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Same I will be 42 when I get married. It's nice to have that support and nice to include your ride or die's kids as well.

• C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ya that is tough, my FH trust his brother more than his friends so that is why he decided to have his brother.

He recently made a friend through my MOH's boyfriend so we laughed that if his groomsman backs out last minute, we can ask him to join.

• C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Did she say that jokingly? Distance also made a huge impact on my decision as well. Hard to help plan a wedding when you aren't a drive away.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics