Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tracy
Beginner October 2020 Alberta

Who pays for what?

Tracy, on November 6, 2018 at 00:54 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 15

As I'm sure most couples do, we are trying to keep our wedding budget-friendly! His side is very well off financially whereas my side, not so much. We have already opted for a local wedding rather than destination for this reason, but I'm having a real dilemma when it comes to the bridal party expenses.

I found a website for fairly inexpensive bridesmaids dresses ($99 and under!) but am at a bit of a loss when it comes to accessories, hair, etc. I'm letting my bridesmaids pick their own style of dress, so long as they are all the same colour so they get something they are comfortable in, that makes them feel confident as well as budget-friendly!

But what do I do about hair, makeup, and accessories? Again, not too picky in what specifically they choose, so long as the jewellery is gold and the shoes are white/black/nude. Who pays for these things? Do I front the bill since I am asking them to be there for me? Or are they expected to cough up the cash since I am giving them so much freedom?

15 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on November 10, 2018 at 17:26
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have always paid for everything as a bridesmaid. For hair and make-up, there is always the option they could do it themselves if they want to save a bit of money.

• Tracy
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

One of my bridesmaids is a makeup artist who said she'd do the wedding party and mothers for a discounted rate, so I will likely be paying for that for my girls.

• Katelyn
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Bridesmaids and Groomsmen are usually expected to pay for their own attire and stuff. As well as the bachelor and bachelorette. And the bridesmaids pay for your bridal shower as well. Your own items are up to you. Sometimes parents of the bride pay for her attire. But it depends on your individual situation. Whatever works for you is what is going to be best.
  • Natalie
    Devoted July 2020 Ontario
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That would definitely be the groomsmen. I’m facing this right now because my groom is more well off than some of his groomsmen, but it’s customary for groomsmen to pay for their own suits.
  • Natalie
    Devoted July 2020 Ontario
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The only thing I’d pay for is to have a makeup artist/ hair stylist there the day of. And that more for my piece of mind anyway because as much as you want to leave it up to them, you also want your pictures to be fluid and conducive to each other. But like I said in a other chat, I actually hired two girls who work at Sephora and MAC for my wedding (they’re Facebook friends) to reduce costs and give them experience since they both already did beauty college. If you still wanted to go that route maybe try people like that instead of glam businesses.
  • Tracy
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah, that makes sense. Thank you!! 🤗🤗
  • Tracy
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh yes, that makes sense! Phew! Thank you! 🤗
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not paying for any of my girl's stuff. They are paying for their dresses, any accessories they are going to wear, and they won't be getting professional hair/make-up done (or if they want it they'll be booking it... I'm not even getting pro make-up done).

Nowadays, bridal parties (bridesmaids and groomsmen) generally understand that in agreeing to be a part of the wedding, they pay for their garments and gifts and also for the bridal shower, bachelorette and bachelor party.

The bridal gown and groom's tux is part of the "wedding budget" so whomever is providing that budget, whether it be your parents, his parents, you guys, or a mix of people, it comes out of that budget.

It's very important before you start getting too far into planning to have a sit down conversation with any and all people who would be contributing to the wedding, and getting numbers for what everyone is comfortable with. It makes a HUGE difference with venue, guest list, vendors, etc, to know exactly what your budget will be.

The first conversation I had was with my parents, and they talked about it and got back to me with a number. Then we spoke to his parents, and they agreed to pay for the booze, and gave us a number to stick within. We did that before doing any planning whatsoever.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It is completely up to you what you choose to pay for. I am paying for hair and makeup for my girls as I want everyone to have the same level of makeup on, colour etc.

When it comes to the bridal party saying "yes" majority of the time they are expected to pay for their attire. I have an idea of what dress I want to see my girls in, but they will be paying for that. And then they can wear whatever they would like in terms of jewelry and shoes as long as they match the dress and colour scheme of the wedding.

as for the guys, every wedding that I have been a part of, the guys are expected to pay for their rentals.

The bride and groom are already spending enough on planning a wedding, they can't be expected to pay for what everyone is wearing/doing as well

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The couple themselves pay for what they need most and not much for the wedding party unless budget allows you to as everyone is stating. Some factors may come to mind that you and FH can arrange to pay for the dresses and make up/ hair or one of the two.

When we got married, it was clear that the wedding party was responsible for their outfits/accessories/make up and hair (MOH being hair stylists as a living) helped each other. I only payed for what was needed.
  • Vanessa
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My girls are paying for their own dresses but I will be paying for their hair and makeup as their bridal party gift. I just think they would appreciate this more as opposed to getting something that may not be their taste.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would stick to the rule of if it's on them - they pay, and if it's on you/your FH - then you (and him) pay.

The only time where I would expect the bride and groom to pay for the wedding party is either as a gift, or if they are asking for all the same outfits that may not look great on everyone because it's wrong to stick them with a bill for something that you want.

Otherwise, everything nowadays is payed for by the bride and groom. Family helps out here and there but for the majority of things it will be the couple. With that being said - you and your partner should be equal and I'm sure he and his family would be more than willing to help you out financially.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So. I've been a bridesmaid 12 times. I know that when I am asked to be in a wedding that I am going to have expenses (dress, hair, makeup, jewelry, shoes, bachelorette, bridal shower, hotels, gifts).

I personally feel that if you give them a guideline. but don't care on a specific. then they pay for it. now. if you have the budget and can do more. that's always kind.

most women will be prepared to pay for their dress (same with groomsmen and their suits). if you tell them. wear a nude shoe. and you don't care if its high heel or flat or whatever. then they can cover.

with my wedding. I tried really hard to find hair and makeup that was affordable (I was able to get hair/makeup for 100 per girl and whatever they choose to tip). I asked who wanted it. and said if they want to do their own hair or makeup they are welcome to. they all chose to get it done.

• Kateland
    Curious September 2019 Ontario
    Kateland ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I found a good deal for a makeup artist (35$ a girl) so I am going to pay for them to have their makeup done. Otherwise they are paying for their dress, shoes, and whatever accessories they wear. The suit rental is paid for by the person wearing the suit!

When people agree to a wedding party they know there’s costs involved.

I personally don’t care what my bridesmaids wear on their feet (the dresses are full length) and I’m not personally an accessory kind of gal so I don’t care what they wear for that either. Some of my gals have their ears pierced some don’t, one can’t weae necklaces. Often brides gift wedding jewelry to their maids so they don’t have to buy it and it covers your “bridal party gift” you’re supposed to give. But if you’re not picky on what everyone wears it doesn’t matter!
  • Tracy
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    And further, who covers the dress/tux purchase/rental? Is that the bride and groom as well?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics