Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Naomi
Curious September 2018 British Columbia

Who is invited to the rehearsal dinner?

Naomi, on July 17, 2018 at 21:59 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 14

Who gets invited to the rehearsal dinner? I've read that we need to invite immediate family (parents, siblings and their spouses, grandparents), members of the wedding party and their spouses, and the officiant and his spouse. My FH says we only need to invite the people in the wedding party and the officiant, and no spouses (except for the officiant's wife).

14 Comments

Latest activity by Vanessa, on July 28, 2018 at 13:42
  • Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For our "rehearsal dinner" it is the same night our tent comes and we are going to be working like mad to set it up. It will be fairly informal and will include those who are helping which will primarily be family and friends/wedding party. We are doing lasagna, Caesar salad and potentially garlic bread. We will have a very eventful night that evening so to sit down and have a wonderful take your time to eat dinner is not going to happen. If you have out of town guests as well you could invite them too. I would definitely invite the spouses we did for our stag/stagette.

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will not be doing a formal dinner, we will be inviting people over to our house for a bbq if the weather cooperates. We will be inviting our immediate family, our wedding party and there spouses and any family coming from out of town. Most of our family have not been to our house so it will be a good opportunity for them as well.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our rehearsal dinner was immediate family and their spouses, officiant and his spouse as it was a friend, wedding party and their spouses.

• Gabbie
    Frequent user June 2019 Nova Scotia
    Gabbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As I understand, wedding party (and their dates), direct family and out of town guests.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The rehearsal dinner was a welcome dinner for us as my father paid for both families and wedding party. We didn't invite the officiant.

We did a quick rehearsal run in the afternoon with the MOHs which they went through with the Best Man(s).

• Leanne
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our officiant is not invited to our rehearsal dinner because we are not having an official rehearsal since we do not have access to our venue and we would've had to pay extra to have our officiant there.

We are inviting immediate family and our grandmothers (we each only have one grandmother still with us) plus our bridal party, not including their spouses.

Both my FH and I have been in other bridal parties where the spouses of the bridal party are not invited, I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

• Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The only people that NEED to be there are those that need to be at the rehearsal and their dates.

If you want to extend the invite to others you can. We will have us, parents, wedding party and their bf/gf. His siblings all have young kids so we are letting them do their own thing with them and I dont want to start family politics by inviting my grandma but no other extended family.
  • Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would invite the wedding party and the parents. Maybe siblings if they aren't already in the wedding party.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely your wedding party. their dates is up to you. I personally like when their S/O is invited as they spend a lot of time on their own due to wedding party duties. its nice to be included.

family wise - parents for sure. siblings...depends if they are in the wedding or not. my aunt and uncle are my "parents" wedding wise. and I'm inviting their 2 daughters (they are like my sisters and I want them there).

I've never heard of inviting the officiants spouse. again personal preference and your relationship with the officiant.

my MIL says its customary to invite any out of town guests (she lives in Oklahoma...maybe its a thing there). I had never heard this one before. She wants to invite her friends from Oklahoma that are flying up for our wedding. and since she is paying. Doesn't bother me.

• S
    Frequent user January 2021 Alberta
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think we are going to go with parents, siblings and their spouses, his Grandma if she is able, Best Man and his partner (my MOH is my SIL and we are probably not having additional groomsmen and bridesmaids) and the officiant. I don't see why anyone else needs to be there?

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If it's rehearsal dinner I would invite: Wedding Party, Parents, Siblings, Officiant.

Just a rehearsal: Wedding Party, Parents, Officiant.

But spouses -especially the officiant's would not be invited for me. You are paying the officiant to do a job. Their wife or husband has no part in that. I look at it like this; for the wedding itself the DJ, Photographer, etc. won't be bringing their S/O.

• Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing grandparents, parents, and siblings. Other than that ,no one else! For me its just a nice way to ring in the party and get some private time with my family before
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wedding party, anyone involved in the ceremony. We had invited the gentleman who was doing music since he was a friend. We did invite the pastor too, which if you have some type of relationship with the person marrying you, invite them, but if you found them online, they just need to be there for the rehearsal but not the dinner.
    we invited the spouses and significant others of wedding party, but said they would have to pay themselves. We also had our parents and our brothers and their families (but they all had some sort of role in our wedding)
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You dont need to invite the officiant.
    The only people who "have to" be invited to the rehearsal dinner, are the people who have to be at the rehearsal. Parents, bridal party... that's it. Many people invite the rest of their siblings, maybe grandparents, close out of town friends/family (up to you), and often extend an invitation to spouses.
    We aren't having an official rehearsal dinner, because just our parents and bridal party (no spouses), is 20 people. We are gonna invite whoever wants to, to go out to dinner together after the rehearsal. But it's an optional time to go out together, we won't be paying for dinner for 20+ people... we just don't have the budget. We will also extend the invitation to my sisters who are not in the bridal party, and everyone's spouses.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics