Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Who did you check with before setting your wedding date?

Lynnie, on April 4, 2018 at 11:05 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 31

Picking your wedding date can be tough - even before you factor in everyone else's schedules!!

Were there any family members or friends you checked with first before nailing down your exact wedding date? Who was in that group of VIPs?

Who did you check with before setting your wedding date? 1

Photo from Sparks Weddings in Quebec

For more community conversations about your wedding date, check out: Did you pick your date or venue first? , How did you pick your wedding date? , and What day of the week are you getting married?

31 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on April 16, 2018 at 14:38
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We checked with my uncle as his property would be hosting our wedding. We were originally going to get married September 23rd 2017 but all the hotels in the area were booked due to a local hockey tournament so we pushed it back another week to September 30th 2017. Either date worked for my uncle which was nice.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our venue Smiley tongue that was it for us
    if we asked the families or friends or anyone it would just be a bunch of opinions and then someone would get upset so we just sent out save the dates and hoped for the best lol
  • Naomi
    Curious September 2018 British Columbia
    Naomi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We knew that we wanted an autumn wedding since my seasonal allergies drive me crazy in the spring, and summer is too hot. We narrowed it down to September or October, and after talking with our families we picked September because we wanted an outdoor ceremony and the weather will be warmer in September. I wanted a specific photographer we basically picked our date based on her availability. She wasn’t available on Saturdays in September so we are getting married on Friday, September 7, 2018. We are both dairy farmers and the date fits in nicely between third crop and corn, so that’s a plus as well.
  • Stacey
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Stacey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It was mostly my side of the family we checked with as our wedding will fall around my mother & sisters birthday, and also Thanksgiving. We wanted to make sure everyone was on board with your date selection.
  • Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Since we had a short engagement (6 months), we chose two dates and then mentioned them to our parents and siblings, and my best friend who I wanted as a bridesmaid. Only one of them already had something on one of the dates, so that was settled. We were very lucky that our venue happened to be available on that date.

• Cherry
    Devoted October 2019 Quebec
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't check with anyone but since I want outdoor ceremony, I picked August cause it has the least chance of rain. I am not superstitious but when it comes to big occasion like wedding, I am following the Chinese tradition in checking the Lunar Almanac for good days. I landed myself on the options of August 17th. Then I went to my fiance and he said he liked the date. That's how it's decided.

• Sarah
    Frequent user December 2018 Alberta
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had to check with work. I am in the army and have a very busy couple years ahead. We wanted it to be in July. But that didn't work so December it was. They basically picked the date lol
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were booking so early in advance we really didn’t. We kind of went back and forth between Feb 29th 2020 and Nov 23rd 2019 and ultimately decided on the November date. Partially because my fiancé kept making jokes about the leap year anniversary and I know him. He would use it to avoid celebrating
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not really anybody, but when we booked the venue we did ask if something occurred say conflict with other vendors are we allowed to move our date, availability permitting? She said yes as long as it's in the same month.

But that didn't need to happen thank goodness Smiley smile

• Meghan
    Frequent user August 2018 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We talked to our parents about our date and then went ahead and booked our photographer and tentatively booked our venue. Shortly after doing this we found out that my fiancé’s cousin was planning his wedding for the same day and already had deposits paid! After that we just had to pick whatever day our photographer was free that month! All worked out in the end and our new date ends up working out better for us anyways!
  • Nikki
    Curious September 2019 Saskatchewan
    Nikki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We initially came up with a (very wide) window that we would like to get married (sometime between May and October 2019), and used that as a gauge when people would ask if we had set a date yet. There was no way we could reach out to all our potential guests and figure out what date would be best for them. This is about us at the end of the day, so everyone else could pretty much go kick rocks.

Nobody raised any major red flags, so we then started reaching out to potential venues & vendors to get a sense of their availability. We wanted to avoid a long weekend, have nice weather for an outdoor ceremony, but avoid the crazy hot part of summer, but still have really lush green trees and flowers before autumn hit. As we were looking so far in advance we really had our pick of dates, and settled on September 7, 2019.

It worked for us, our immediate families, and our wedding party which is really all that matters.

• Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I kind of checked with work as that is our busy time. Our parents and just told everyone else when it was. We planned it well enough in advance that we could book wherever and whoever.
  • Shelly
    Curious June 2019 Ontario
    Shelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't check with anyone since we planned for two years ahead. We liked the date because it's not quite Spring, not quite Summer.

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't speak with anyone besides our priest and venue to make sure we could have the ceremony during a religious holiday. He made an exception for us, since we are out of town, and made sure to pencil in the date. I knew our families would be fine with it, and did call them afterwards to double check. I was happen to change it if needed, as we didn't have our hearts set on any particular date

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm glad you stuck with your date!

If the camping trip happens every year missing once isn't too bad!

This wedding will be once in a lifetime!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We didn’t check with anyone. There was only two dates left at the venue we really wanted so we just chose one. Turns out, that’s the weekend a group of my friends goes camping every year. Some of them have decided to skip camping to come to our wedding! I wanted to change the date but my fiancé talked me out of it! He said we can’t please everyone with our date so we kept it. And, I’m glad we did!
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We didn't check with anyone. His brother was also engaged but we need that his fiance wanted a later 2019 wedding so we weren't concerned. She ended up getting mad at me for "getting married before her" and complained to my fiances family and they tried to talk to to moving the wedding back a year but we refused. His brother and his fiance ended up breaking up not to long ago so we don't have to deal with that anymore..
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't officially check with anybody but right off the bat people were asking us when were going to have it so we told them we were aiming for June 2018.

My dad immediately said he was travelling then so that sort of dictated us pushing it to July 2018.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't check with anybody! We chose it based on when we would like to have it.

• Elizabeth
    Frequent user June 2018 New Brunswick
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't check with anyone except myself and my fiancé, it was our big day and we chose it so far in advance that it is easy for everyone to work their schedules around it. My father is a teacher and graduation is the day before, so he just had to book off graduation and safe grad (he organizes the program at the school). Wasn't an issue since he's never taken one off!

• Audrey
    Curious August 2019 New Brunswick
    Audrey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Only checked with my fiancé. It is our wedding after all
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My parents gave us their blessings to get married on the same date they did 30+ yrs ago. They said they'd be honored to share their date with us - I thought that was sweet of them. I also checked with a friend of mine, as it would fall on her bday, which was also fine. We'll definitely be doing a 'shout out' to them that night!

• K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We knew we wanted September 2018 and told our families. His parents were the only ones with travel plans so we made sure to book on a day that they were still here.

• April
    Frequent user September 2018 Saskatchewan
    April ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our photographer is a close friend so I wanted to make sure she was available so we checked with her. Plus one of my bridesmaids had another sept wedding so I wanted to make sure she could do both!
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh look at us thinking alike haha love it! Our wedding months will be filled with love Smiley heart
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We knew roughly what month (October) and were just debating what year (2018/2019). We decided with long distance planning and the fact it is my parents' 30th anniversary, my mom's 60th birthday, and my FSIL having a baby this month, it'll be less stressful to have the wedding in 2019. So in a way, we consulted with family about the year and then picked October 19, 2019

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think we mentioned what we were thinking to our parents, and his dad kinda goes "oh, my birthday is 3 days later"... but it was just a fact, not that he was bothered. We are getting married January 19th, so we figured we didn't have to check with anyone really, as that's literally the slowest/most boring week of the year.

• Julie
    Newbie August 2018 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My parents. my brother whose has to fly in. And my 4 bridesmaids who are the only friends who will be present.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nope! We chose ours without checking with anyone really!

We got together on Dec 24th and have always celebrated the 24th of each month when ever we can! That number is very special to us so we just knew we wanted to be on the 24th!

Similar to Jennifer! We picked May 24th, May 10th is his parents anni, May 17th is my parents anni, so we will all be a week apart which I think it super cute! (will also make combined anniversary parties much easier haha!)

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Right when we got engaged the first thing people were asking was “when will it be?”, so we gave them a loose date that quickly changed due to several external factors. The date we picked is my brother and fathers birthday weekend, so I gave them a heads up that it was going to be that weekend but nothing was going to change our minds.
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We actually didn’t check with anyone when picking our date. We did make sure that we are in between our parents’ anniversaries (his parents is the weekend before and mine is the weekend after ours). That’s about it! We were engaged a year ago this weekend and are getting married this August and didn’t run into any scheduling issues with our families and wedding party. Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics