Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Marcia
Super August 2018 Manitoba

Who all does the bride and groom by gifts for?

Marcia, on June 6, 2018 at 11:33 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 17

Traditionally who do you buy gifts for and do you give them out on the day of the rehearsal or morning of the wedding? I know that you generally buy gifts for your wedding party (bridesmaids, MOH, groomsmen, flower girls, and ring bearers), but do you also buy gifts for parents, vendors and people other people who helped with the wedding...? What is the proper etiquette (if there is one)?

GiftsWho all does the bride and groom by gifts for? 1

17 Comments

Latest activity by Krista, on June 27, 2018 at 11:23
  • Krista
    Frequent user July 2018 Alberta
    Krista ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Husbandtobe- Boudoir book with photos of me, and tom ford vanilla tobacco cologne.. its more for me lets be honest... Smiley winking

moh and mog- crystals chosen specifically for them. Used in ceremony to absorb loving frequencies as well as a framed photo from our wedding once printed. As well as a handmade sage and wildflower bundle for clearing pre-ceremony.

bridemaids- robe, champaigne flute (custom), face masks, body spray, undies, and a gold bracelet.

groomsmen- watches, ties, socks, a hanker chief and a micky, tucked away in a "hollowed out book box"

guests - candles and customized match books

fob / fog - hand carved wooden trinket box with art from the canadian rockies

brother of bride - a suit for the wedding and a insta-camera (the one that prints the polaroids)

grandmother - a charm bracelet, and a picture of me and her when I was a child, framed with a letter of how much she means to me.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The only ones that received gifts were the wedding party. We didn't buy each other or our parents anything.

The vendors received a thank you card personally for their services. Not tips on top of that.
  • Sara
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're taking our parents' out to dinner as a thank you as well. FH and I have decided to stop buying our parents presents (for any occasion) and giving them experiences instead, but once we have the pictures then they will get a nice picture frame with a wedding picture.

For the wedding party, I've bought my bridesmaids very many things that they will use for the wedding and my FH did the same for his guys - in a lesser capacity.

Two of our vendors are family friends so we're buying them a present as a thank you as well, I think. Haven't agreed on it just yet.

• Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have quite a few gifts I’m going to be giving out:

MoH & bridesmaids - clutches
    BM & groomsmen - beer mugs
    MotB - bracelet
    FotB - pocket watch
    MotG - wishing well
    FotG - personalized coffee mug (he is also one of the groomsmen)
    Flower Girl - bracelet and hair clip
    Ring Bearer - suspenders and bow tie (that he will be wearing for the wedding)
    MC/FSIL - necklace
    FH - boudoir album

Instead of doing special gifts for our MoH and BM, we’re doing something special for them. FH and BM are going skydiving, just the two of them. And my MoH will have extra flowers in her bouquet and a belt on her dress.

None of our gifts are very expensive. But we are giving everyone something we think they’d love to have.
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't know what the best gift it.. something from the heart though.

That definitely sounds fine what you've suggested!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We bought gifts for the wedding party members, our parents and my uncle as he hosted our wedding. You don't need gifts for your vendors but if you would like to buy some for people who helped with your wedding than that is your choice.

• Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm doing a gift for my future mother in law and father in law, and I believe that my fiance wants to do ones for my parents too but I personally get along amazingly with my in laws and have really lucked out. I feel it so important that i want them to know i appreciate them, but i know lots of people who only do the traditional party gifts!!
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We aren't doing gifts for our parents, we will be taking them out for dinner instead. We aren't getting gifts for our vendors, although I would like to send a note and picture after the fact to some of them.

We are getting gift cards for some of the guests that helped out in various ways (MC, those decorating, those doing music since we don't have a DJ)

• Jennifer
    Beginner July 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    What's the best gift to give to your bridal party when you working with low budget?
    Was thinking of nice earrings for my bridesmaid and mugs for the grooms men, is that okay ?🤔
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're doing:

Bridesmaid Gifts - I will be giving them to them when they arrive at my house the morning of. I do have a little something extra to give to my MOH that I'll give her sometime private.

Groomsmen Gifts - They'll get theirs the day of as well.

Parents - I haven't bought anything for my FMIL. She has been a bit difficult during this whole process and really hurtful. I don't think i'll buy her anything but we'll frame a picture after the wedding.
    My Mom I've bought an embroidered hankerchief which Ill give her the day of to use.

My dad has been AMAZING, but I'll probably give him a gift after the wedding as a thank you. More like a dinner out and pictures from the wedding.

Same for the Groom's dad. He's not very involved but did give us some money.

I also need to think of a little something for my FSIL as she's doing a reading for us. Thanks for the reminder.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will likely only gives notes to each other, And then I plan on getting his parents gifts, bridal party and just tipping the vendors with a thank you card!
  • M
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely the parents. Vendors are already getting a lot. If anything in their case just a thank you note. Giving gifts to MIL and 2 BILs. Otherwise my bridesmaids and one for the fiancee.
  • B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Gifts for Parents, yes. Vendors, no.
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Typically, gifts are given to your bridal party (Often this takes the form of accessories or items you'd like them to wear for the wedding - ties, jewelry, shawls, etc), parents of bride and groom, sometimes grandparents.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Gifts for the bridal party, and parents (including his)... and some brides/grooms exchange gifts as well. In less of a traditional sense, you don't give it to them if you're not seeing them before the ceremony, but designate a bridesmaid/groomsman to give the gift for you.

Vendors generally prefer tips, unless you have a personal relationship with them... but still would appreciate a tip for their services.

We won't have any grandparents at the wedding (only one left between both of us), but if my grandmother had been there, I'd be getting her something too. And anyone else who is especially close to you.

Overall it's up to you, but aside from bridal party and parents, no one is expecting anything.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Morning of the wedding I will by gifts for wedding party, including kids in the wedding, parents and I will for a friend who has been amazing in helping with the planning. I will give cash tip to the DJ, photographer and photo booth person. Venue charges me a 17% gratuity on everything, so no tip is required there.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I believe you can give gifts to your bridal party and parents. If someone who is not part of the bridal party has stepped up and contributed in a special way, a gift would absolutely be appropriate. As for vendors, it's a grey area where I think monetary tips are more appreciated than gifts - depending on your relationship with them.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics