Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

When guests don't RSVP

Joey, on January 3, 2018 at 14:20 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 15

We all dread it when guests don't RSVP on time. As your RSVP deadline approaches, your nerves start to build - how many of these guests are you going to have to call to get their RSVP? How long will it take to get answers back from everyone? What happens when you do get through to your guests, but they don't want to tell you whether they can come or not? What do you do with the guest who wants to decide on the day whether or not they'll show up? What do you tell your venue?! It can all feel very overwhelming.

Have you built in time between your RSVP deadline and the deadline set by your venue/caterer to chase up RSVPs?

Have any of your guests refused to RSVP? What did you say to those guests?

Have you talked to your venue about how they handle no shows, or surprise guests?

Share your RSVP concerns and tips here!

RSVPs - they're not just a suggestion, they're a necessity!!When guests don't RSVP 1

Photo by Honour Bright in Fleshington, Ontario

15 Comments

Latest activity by Angela K., on January 17, 2018 at 12:48
  • Angela K.
    Curious June 2018 Ontario
    Angela K. ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I sent an online invitation (I am from Brazil, I live in the USA and so my fiancée) but we are getting married in Ontario because his mom is sick.

Every other week I resend the invitation to the guests that did not replied. By end of February I will start emailing the people that never RSVP. bu Mid March I want to have a hard number. My wedding is in June.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Call your guests personally or send an email to notify them the date has passed for the rsvp.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It should be common courtesy. I'm actually starting to think there is no such thing. Same as common sense. It's a myth! (This is how I feel after a tough day at work...)

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Are wedding is in August and we are sending out our invites I believe in March once we can decide on a place to have the wedding (his parents or my parents). We then will give them 2 months to reply and then we will send out our 2nd string of invites for those who are on our "waiting list" so to speak than give them 2 months. I'm sure there will be some who are late. My best friend at her wedding didn't get some RSVP's back including one from one of our friends in high school. It was even postage paid. Don't understand.

We are thinking about just using email as a way of confirmation or calling as we are having a buffet so no need to know if they want chicken or beef. There will be both lol. Also paper and stamps just cost so much more these days and trying to cut out some of our costs.

• J
    Newbie July 2018 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Judyanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having 60 people and hopefully people that can't attend will RSVP. If they don't I assume they aren't going to attend.
  • Sashanette
    Curious April 2019 Ontario
    Sashanette ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Your right it is common courtesy. Clearly people forget but after I send out a reminder I shouldn't have to do anything else. We are planning a wedding, we shouldn't have to worry about people who don't RSVP
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm with you 100%. I'll sent the invite with the RSVP and deadline, give one reminder and after that they are done. No seat, no food, no wedding. It sounds mean but it's not, it's common courtesy to reply yes or no and if they can't bother then not my problem.
  • Sashanette
    Curious April 2019 Ontario
    Sashanette ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hmm I didn't really consider this. I honestly don't want to bother with running people down. Depending on the people if you don't RSVP then they don't get a seat. Is that too mean or cut throat? How can one expect to have a seat if they never RSVP. Why should we pay for a plate because someone may or may not attend. We are sending save the date emails. So maybe I'll send a reminder email to RSVP.
  • Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We just mailed our invites out and stated that rsvp's need to be in by the 1st of March giving us a month to chase people down if needed. Hopefully this is plenty of time, as the venue needs final counts a few weeks prior.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't thought of this yet! I like to think that I know my guests well enough that they will all respond on time...although everyone who has already gotten married said people backed out last minute. Everyone. So, at the moment I'm not thinking about it. When it gets to that point, I think we will contact them, then have someone else contact them (someone they know better, depending who it is), and then send them the link to the wedding broadcast and let them know they can watch the ceremony live the day of since they are not able to join us.

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm so nervous about this! This stresses me out lol but we have a plan. A week before the RSVP date we will call and remind them to send the RSVP and if they don't then they will be marked down as not attending. If someone says they are unsure then we will thank them and tell them we will miss them at the wedding. It's common courtesy to reply regardless if you're going or not and on time. Unfortunately if you don't for our wedding that will get you off the list. We can't have maybes floating around.
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh man, reading this is stressing me out lol we haven't sent out our invites yet. We get married in June and are sending them out by the end of this month. We put the RSVP date as 2 months before the wedding. I'm hoping we don't have to play cat and mouse to get ahold of people! Especially because the majority of our guests are coming in from out of town.

• Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have 4 months until our rsvp deadline, and I handed most of the invites out 4 months ago... but we have had maybe 20/150 people rsvp. And it is totally nerve wracking. I was kinda hoping I wouldn’t have to call up 100+ people to see if they’d be coming to our wedding or not... here’s hoping I get a few phone calls in the next 4 months!
  • Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I enlisted the help of the moms for making calls to people who hadn't RSVP'd depending on who the person was and how well I knew them. If I couldn't get a response, I assumed they weren't coming and was prepared to tell them that if they showed up expecting dinner! If you can't RSVP, I can't feed you!

Thankfully, that didn't happen and everything worked out! Our deadline was a month before our wedding, so it gave us enough time to get in touch with people.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had a few people who missed the deadline but we had given ourselves plenty of time to contact them. We got married September 30 and our RSVP deadline was in July. We had lots of people coming from near and far so we wanted to make sure that we had the time to connect with them should they miss the deadline. This is one of the reasons I do not suggest leaving invitations until 2 months before the wedding like most website and etiquette articles seem to suggest. It does not give the couple enough time to chase down people who didn't RSVP.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics